Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Big Miles A Problem?

ajones1722

I'm close to buying a 1998 LS400 which has 170k on it. Its being sold thru a Lexus dealer and Ive got them down to £8k.

Are the miles an issue or do these engines 'go on forever' ?

My '98 LS400 is just coming up to 120k, so I'm hoping so. :-)

Having said that I bought mine for £9.6k so maybe you could get them to move a bit more on the price. Mind you, you are buying from a dealer so maybe not. Actually I'm surprised that the dealer hasn't offloaded it through an independent or an auction. I was told that they don't sell anything that's done much more than 100k.

I'm close to buying a 1998 LS400 which has 170k on it. Its being sold thru a Lexus dealer and Ive got them down to £8k.

If your going to buy that one make sure they put you a new piece of trim in behind the drivers seat belt, fix the front bumper properley, it had a scuff when they first got and the paint finish where it's been repaired is rather dodgy, the aerial doesnt go down all the way either, and also it looks as though it's had a knock on the o/s rear wing at somepoint as the paint finish is quite rippled there too though rather better than the repair on the front bumper.

The mileage isn't an issue, but I had a look at that one myself and it's no way near as good as my dad's with 146k on it and he bought it from a Lexus dealer with 134k on it, personally I wouldn't bother it's had too many odd knocks and needs a few bits fixing on it still to make it right, which is why I didn't buy it myself.

A Lexus dealer would have to fix everything before it is sold otherwise it will not pass the RAC inspection and they will give a 1 year manufacuters equivalent warranty.

Other than the aerial there is probably nothing mechanically wrong with it, the RAC inspection would only cover major bodywork repairs and the mechanicals, it wouldn't cover minor bodywork repairs, I wasn't implying that anything wrong with it was major, it's just for me it wasn't the best I have seen for that mileage, I know how these look having had experience of them for a long time, with the highest mileage being 320k, and this particular example appeared to be showing it's mileage in terms of trim and bodywork earlier than most I have seen.

A Lexus dealer would have to fix everything before it is sold otherwise it will not pass the RAC inspection and they will give a 1 year manufacuters equivalent warranty.

Other than the aerial there is probably nothing mechanically wrong with it, the RAC inspection would only cover major bodywork repairs and the mechanicals, it wouldn't cover minor bodywork repairs, I wasn't implying that anything wrong with it was major, it's just for me it wasn't the best I have seen for that mileage, I know how these look having had experience of them for a long time, with the highest mileage being 320k, and this particular example appeared to be showing it's mileage in terms of trim and bodywork earlier than most I have seen.

It covers very minor problems with the bodywork. My RX failed because it had 9 touched up stone chips on the bonnet so the dealer had to respray it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi........the one you're referring to , is it the one up for £8450 at Lexus,Nottingham with 164k miles on the clock?

Cheers

I have an aerial for a LS thats up for sale,it goes all the way down but when its fully up when switched on it retracts slightly.......still works perfectly though  :)

It's supposed to do that Peter - it's a self-trimming aerial mate :)

ah! I wondered why mine did that! Its seem to alter when I switch from MW to FM, that'll be it self-trimming then?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links