Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Ford To Buy?

stevebish

Due to the amount of money I've lost on my car, I'm now keeping it and letting the missus run it. She'll have a lighter right foot and does less miles to keep the fuel and servicing costs down! :blush:

I am gonna replace her car, Rover 211 SE ('99 V), with one of the above. Budget is £4000 absolute max. Want Ghia spec if poss, as want elec windows all round and as many other extras as poss. :P

Has anyone got anything like this for sale? Or has anyone owned any of them to give ideas? :winky:

Cheers

Steve

Both of my son in laws have mondeos One costs a fortune to pass the MOT each year, Fails emmision test each time,had suspension probs New bushes quite regularly

'Tother S-I-Law just bought his in Aug, a 2000 model Hardly any miles on the clock, and already been in for new bushes.

A customer of mine has just bought a Focus Zetec,after hiring one for a week to see how it drove, says it's a fantastic car with plenty of poke

Focus - no doubt about it - old mans got a 1.6 3dr LX and it's good fun to drive ...

Heard Mondeos are not so reliable - esp post 2000 - can't recall where I read it though.

Also Focus's will be getting much cheaper in next month or so now the new one is out ...

Focus for sure.....My girlfriend has one which is a company car which i can drive as well, when she flys off places i use it as my second more useful car.

Its pretty quick is a 1.6LX handles well and is quite hard to provoke into coming unstuck on corners, You can also turn the t/c off on it and do monster burnouts in it :D

Overall its a good car,better than the mondeo my dad had in its life had 2 engines 3 starters (that i know off) untold catlysers and exhaust bits basically was an abused car, the one good thing was it the body seemed to be really strong as well as the interior, By the way this car had done 340,000 miles when he got rid off it.

Nick

Overall its a good car,better than the mondeo my dad had in its life had 2 engines 3 starters (that i know off) untold catlysers and exhaust bits basically was an abused car, the one good thing was it the body seemed to be really strong as well as the interior, By the way this car had done 340,000 miles when he got rid off it.

Nick

was it a V6?

they can be prone to go....

headgaskets, waterpumps, they both eat engines...

I wouldnt put a V6 to last past 150k maximum

My mate has a mondeo and he's had lots of problems with it - loss of engine power, suspension trouble, steering problems, emmisions, etc. It was in the garage loads of times last year.

I was considering purchasing a Focus ST170 a couple of months ago - seem like nice cars but I was a bit worried about the depreciation (but I've lost about 5 grand on my IS200 in the last year so I don't think it's only Fords that suffer from this :crying: ).

My mate has a mondeo and he's had lots of problems with it - loss of engine power, suspension trouble, steering problems, emmisions, etc. It was in the garage loads of times last year.

I was considering purchasing a Focus ST170 a couple of months ago - seem like nice cars but I was a bit worried about the depreciation (but I've lost about 5 grand on my IS200 in the last year so I don't think it's only Fords that suffer from this  :crying: ).

A ford will lose money quicker than a lexus....

mondeo depreciation is amazing.....

some good s/h bargains to pick up!!!

Hi monkeyra! (Nick) Cheers for your input, wondered if you'd see the post!

The 140k 99V Ghia X I looked at was very shabby. Checked out an 01X Mk3 Zetec and that was quite shabby too. Just having probs finding a good condition Mondeo.

I used to have a 1.8 Zetec 99T Mondeo before the Lex. It was good enough for me, but may well be swayed to a Focus by the reviews posted here!

I think the Mk3 Mondeo is too big now. Drove one Thursday and it was HUGE! Didn't realise it was so big! Thats when I started to think Focus!

Thanks all for your input! I'll post again when I have bought! :driving:

Steve

Kazdul

Thats the good thing about Ford! You can get excellent second hand deals! I just missed out on a 01 X plate new shape Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X for £4000! The car has more toys and gadgets than the IS and much more practicality! You cannot argue with that!

On a similar point, the IS has lost silly amounts of value over the last year or so and will continue to do so now that a new model is on the horizon.

Go with the focus it is with out a doubt the better car ,and it drives a lot better than some much dearer and so called prestige cars ,quicker to ,only problem is at 4k you might not get a good example in ghia trim.i would go for the 1.8 zetec .always ask the owner if it is the hatchback as some people do not mention they are selling the booted version :sick: in there ad and you might have a wasted drive :)

I got rid of my Focus not too long back. It was a shame to see it go actually cos it never let me down, it was economical, a bit of a workhorse really, and it went really well. The Zetex is bullet-proof if you keep her serviced on time and dont skimp on the oil quality.

I had the Ghia with the 6 disk CD under the seat and stuff. It was a decent enough car - and you can the tune the Zetec very easily.

You should get a very nice clean one for the 4 grand budget.

You've been spying on me Nick! :shifty:

For info of those who replied, I ended up going for an older Mk2 Mondeo. I did look seriously at the Focus after your recommendations, but cash wise, just couldn't justify it. The Mondeo is bigger cheaper, with more gadgets and being one of the last Mk2's, all niggling problems have been ironed out. :winky:

I have an X plate 2.0 Ghia. It has 6 disc in-dash changer, cruise control, trip computer, big useful boot with split folding seats, full Ford SH, new tyres all round and the previous owner spend £1000 on it in August at a Ford dealer! All for £2995 with 6 mths tax thrown in! :D

It also helps that because I have owned one before, I already have a Haynes manual and roof bars for it!

Thanks for all the replies!

Steve

Not impressed with Mondeos at all. My old man has one, at 40k the timing belt pulley slipped, and £1100 later it was back on the road. Its a 98 S plate Ghia X. Got all the toys, but not impressed with the reliability. Hell, it's even got full dealer history.

Not sure about the Focus in terms of reliability though.