Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all... not sure if this is a prob, or normal.

I bought my '97 GS300 Mki four days ago, and only managed to get road Tax today, so was my first opportunity to have a decent drive of it.

When I get to just under 30mph it starts to make a kinda "humming" noise, no matter if I'm going straight or around bends, also different road surfaces makes no difference, plus I can feel a slight vibration through the pedal.

After about 40mph the noise quietens slightly, but at around 60mph it turns more into a mild "whining" sound which lightly oscilates.

Seems like the noise is coming from the front of the car, and I have checked both front wheels for play in the bearings, checked that the brakes aren't binding and also checked the tyre pressures all 'round.

I know the car is very quiet (lurvly!) and there's bound to be noise, but I think that this is perhaps just a bit too odd?

I've still got 3 months warranty on the car so will take it back to the dealer that I bought it from (not Lexus), but I'm sure all he'll say is that it's quite normal, or it's tyre noise!

The car has a full service history and had a lot of money spent on it summer last year - new wheel hub assy, ball joints etc, etc.

Am I being paranoid, or is there something needs looking at?!?!?!?

Much appreciate any help,

Tony :unsure:

Unless - there is a known problem on this model, that I can actually state.

But from what you are saying ...... it could be a problem with your tyres ? - or maybe even the rims ?

Just a thought .. .....

Unless - there is a known problem on this model, that I can actually state.

But from what you are saying ...... it could be a problem with your tyres ? - or maybe even the rims ?

Just a thought .. .....

The wheels are the original 7 spoke alloys, and the tyres are Avon which are hardly worn...

Do you think it could be gearbox/drive shaft??

without meaning to worry you.. could it be the discs are warped slightly and rubbing slightly on the brakes.. Hence when over 60 they get hotter and expand a bit more hence even more noise.. Only a though not an expert opinion..

I would take it back and tell them you not happy with the noise and get them to test the car..

Craig

Tony,

From what you say and my experience, it is a front wheel bearing. It make the noise even though there is no detectable play. Trust me - I've had it and had to pay - warranty expired.

To prove this, you will need to whack the steering wheel from side to side at 20 - 30 mph. You will here the pitch change.

Wheel bearing and oil cover about £120 plus 1 hour per side. This is slightly less than for a 737-400. They will need to remove the hub so insist on a reallignment afterwards - that's another hour.

Tony,

From what you say and my experience, it is a front wheel bearing. It make the noise even though there is no detectable play. Trust me - I've had it and had to pay - warranty expired.

To prove this, you will need to whack the steering wheel from side to side at 20 - 30 mph. You will here the pitch change.

Wheel bearing and oil cover about £120 plus 1 hour per side. This is slightly less than for a 737-400. They will need to remove the hub so insist on a reallignment afterwards - that's another hour.

Thanks to you all for your inputs, I think you are right Mike - moved the steering wheel side to side and there was a noticable change in the sound. Phoned the garage and they booked it in for tomorrow.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again :winky:

Tony.

Tony,

Thanks to you all for your inputs, I think you are right Mike - moved the steering wheel side to side and there was a noticable change in the sound. Phoned the garage and they booked it in for tomorrow.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again :winky:

Tony.

Got the car back from the garage... they checked all four wheel bearings (using some kind of stethescope), all as quiet as a mouse! As I suspected the mechanic said it was the tyres, and said most of the noise was coming from the n/s front - I disputed the fact and insisted on the bearings, but he assured me it wasn't.

Today I removed the n/s front wheel and replaced it with the spare which had a different tyre fitted to the Avon ZZ1's on the others. Took the car down the road - "hey presto" - hardly any noise!!!

My appologies to the mechanic... looks like I'll just have to put up with it until the Avons wear in a bit to maybe quieten them down as they are still quite new, but definately wont buy any of those in the future! ;)

Tony.