Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Last sunday I purchased a 1997 GS300 Sport with 54k miles 2 previous owners, full lexus service history except the 1000 mile service, and the cambelt has already been replaced at 42k miles, so not got many problems with it.

Although I have to be within 2 meters of the car in order for the remote alarm fob to work, is this normal? I've changed the Battery in the keyfob for a brand new Duracell CR2025 Battery, but it's made no difference. I always thought they had a longer range than that. Is there an aerial on the alarm somewhere that might have come lose on mine?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

Same problem with mine i have two remotes and both are the same dispite changing the batterys in both,have to be standing very close to the car .asked lexus to look at it but they had no luck either .sounds like a nice car you have got what colour is it.

Although I have to be within 2 meters of the car in order for the remote alarm fob to work, is this normal?

mines a MKII Gs430 - but for what its worth, I can be 5, maybe 7.5 metres away.

not an awesome difference, but a fair bit more than yours.

so - unless Lexus changed the alarm between the models, yours seems a bit off :blush:

Same problem with mine i have two remotes and both are the same dispite changing the batterys in both,have to be standing very close to the car .asked lexus to look at it but they had no luck either .sounds like a nice car you have got what colour is it.

I've got A MKI GS300 Sport and it's the same. I've always assumed that's how it's meant to be.

Mine's the same, it's almost pointless having remote locking when you have to stand so close to use it, but our alarm can only be activated/deactivated using the remote.

My Dad's Series I GS has the old alarm with the button on the key and that works much better than mine, and it's also activated/deactivated by opening/closing the door or boot with the key.

I miss my Clifford though (window closure, remote start etc).

My mk1 sport is just the same, i need to be pretty much within touching-distance of the car.

Occasionally its worked up to about 10ft away, but not often. I've never replaced the batterys in my fobs yet but am planning to in the next week or two. I'll post if I discover it makes a difference.

Matthew: Nah! (at least not on mine) It was the first thing i tried but neither lock or unlock seem to do window/roof closure on the mk1.

Thanks alot for the responses guys, i'll have to live with it i guess, always thought my dads old one had more range, nevermind.

Just thought i'd try to post a piccy of mine, not too big so shouldn't be a problem for 56k users, oh, and in answer to the question of colour its 6N9 which i've found to be either regent green, or ebony teal perlescent, anyone confirm this?

mylex.jpg

very nice looking motor you have there mate.

im quite surprised by the short range on the keyfob. i dont have a GS but on my IS i havent found a range that it hasnt worked from, not that i keep trying it all the time. but it works from my office and i can watch the indicators flash on and off on cctv and even at least 15m away from the car in tesco's car park.

I'm quite suprised by the short range aswell, there must be something come loose or some way of extending the range, we now have three lexus' in our family, my dad has a GS430 sport, my brother an IS300 Sport and my GS300 sport, the other two as you say can work from up to 15m if not more away, and mines like 2m at most, quite annoying actually.

The only other thing i can think of is the aerial length on the alarm box, i added some to my previous alarm and it increased the range, so i was wondering if theres a lose contact/wire inside the car restricting the range

Thanks alot for the responses guys, i'll have to live with it i guess, always thought my dads old one had more range, nevermind.

Just thought i'd try to post a piccy of mine, not too big so shouldn't be a problem for 56k users, oh, and in answer to the question of colour its 6N9 which i've found to be either regent green, or ebony teal perlescent, anyone confirm this?

mylex.jpg

Nice car :driving: ,you will probaly find the colour description depends on the country ,regent green is probaly english colour and the other the american version .same colour different names

on the MKII, you can open all the windows and sunroof by holding down the unlock button, and close them with the lock button.

doesn't this work on the MKI?

No, this was one of the new features for the Series II.

Nice Tron20 and the wheels look like they're in good condition.

Thanks eMJay, its a nice car, not been looked after quite aswell as i'd thought, but everything looks good on it, doesn't appear to have ever been in an accident, has a few stone chips (not been touched up) starting to go rusty, gonna try to sort them when its a clear day, need a couple of spares for it, and two new gas struts for the boot, but other than that its in A1 condition.

The alloys are in good condition for the originals, one or two have started showing signs of corrosion under the lacqer, the worst one is the passenger side rear, which has some major kerbing, so i'll replace this one when i get chance, not really that important at the moment.

Just happy to be the proud owner of a GS300 sport, great cars, and amazingly cheap these days :D

same on my GS

the alarm is made by Scorpion (the company not the member :P )

they are not longer around so you either have to make do or have a aftermarket alarm fitted

Mine doesnt work all the time... 80% of the time it will work first time.. but other times i have to try 3 or 4 times.

Thanks eMJay, its a nice car, not been looked after quite aswell as i'd thought, but everything looks good on it, doesn't appear to have ever been in an accident, has a few stone chips (not been touched up) starting to go rusty, gonna try to sort them when its a clear day, need a couple of spares for it, and two new gas struts for the boot, but other than that its in A1 condition.

The alloys are in good condition for the originals, one or two have started showing signs of corrosion under the lacqer, the worst one is the passenger side rear, which has some major kerbing, so i'll replace this one when i get chance, not really that important at the moment.

Just happy to be the proud owner of a GS300 sport, great cars, and amazingly cheap these days :D

you might have a few problems trying to find a new wheel.. these are no longer available... I have seen a few in my time...

A little OT but are you the Tron20 from the HondaRevolutions forum? Seem to remember you had a Prelude before the GS? And to think that Preludes are referred to as barges ;)

I too have a GS300 as well as the 'lude - not a 'Sport' though, but it does have a spoiler - don't know if this was an option on 1994 models?

I quite like the two-tone look on yours. A previous owner of my car looks to have had the lower panels resprayed white to match the rest of the car. It's 900 miles off 200K and the paintwork is immmaculate - so perhaps the whole car has been redone at some point.

All in all, very happy with mine.

Yep thats me, decided to get a bit of luxary instead of the prelude, it was a great sporty car to thrash round in, but on long journeys not really the most suitable car.

I did find this lexus GS300 sport with low mileage at a cheap price, so thought i'd treat myself, I have still got the prelude, but I really can't keep hold of it, need the money back from it's sale.

Its nice to see another member of Hondarevolutions who also has a lexus B)

Yep thats me, decided to get a bit of luxary instead of the prelude, it was a great sporty car to thrash round in, but on long journeys not really the most suitable car.

I did find this lexus GS300 sport with low mileage at a cheap price, so thought i'd treat myself, I have still got the prelude, but I really can't keep hold of it, need the money back from it's sale.

I always thought it was fairly quiet and refined on a long journey, seats aren't the most comfy though.

As mine is an automatic VTEC :driving: (which is REALLY not as bad as a lot of people who have you believe..) it's worth next to nothing... and as it's more or less in perfect nick, I'm not going to give it away to someone for a couple of grand.

Yeah Lexus's are lovely cars, easy to drive, well refined, and quiet, yet quick enough when you feel you've got extra fuel to burn and want to have a blast round. But i have to say i prefer the MK1 GS300's to the MK2 models, don't like the square backend of the MK2 or the front, the MK1 is rounded, has flush door handles and imo, the exterior is nicer. Although of course I wouldn't mind a mk2 gs300 should i ever have the chance of finding a low mileage one like the one i have in three or four years time