Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disconnecting 12v Battery

Williboy

Do it while it's still legal...

Purely in the interests of consumer safety, it will soon be illegal to work on your own vehicle. Instead you'll have to have any work carried out by suitably qualified professionals.

Needless to say even if you've been a vehicle tech for 100yrs, you'll still have to pass some very costly euro-test to earn a piece of paper. Only then will you be allowed to continue with your life long profession.

Oh and the oik who just took the test but has never even seen a spanner, let alone an engine, is equally as qualified coz the piece of paper says so.

Hi, what the way to disconnect the 12V battery as I wish to take it out. What can I touch? Which wires first? Dont wanna electrocute myself!  :tomato:

Disconnect the negative first - it's pretty much impossible to do yourself any personal harm with a car Battery (apart from dropping the thing on your foot) - avoid touching the terminals with one hand on each though - can be bad if you have a dicker ticker

When re-installing, connect the positive first

Don't connect the Battery the wrong way round

If you're charging it, don't get the connections the wrong way round

Hi, what the way to disconnect the 12V battery as I wish to take it out. What can I touch? Which wires first? Dont wanna electrocute myself!  :tomato:

Disconnect the negative/ground/earth/black terminal first.

Then disconnect the positive/red terminal.

Refitting is the reverse of removal (as it says in all the best manuals).

You won't electrocute yourself, just be very careful not to allow any metal tools to touch anything else while connecting/disconnecting the terminals.

Shorting out batteries is a very bad idea - risk of explosion and/or burns :nuke: