Pinned: Number Plates

Current Requirements

ScarFace

26th September 2004 - 08:18 PM

Q:

Is an open four acceptable for a registration prior 2001 ammendments:

The Swansea Logbook printer is the only computer i know that prints open 4

Therefore when a tax disc is hand written why do the PO Clerks use an open four

( check it out if you have a 4 in your Reg )!

A:

Official Response following being stopped for incorrect number plate

Thank you for your email regarding the above, in particular the registration mark given. Whilst I fully appreciate your concerns, I must stress that the Government takes the matter of misrepresented registration marks very seriously. Unfortunately,the misrepresentation of registration marks is a growing problem. The practice can make vehicles difficult to identify and can hamper police efforts to trace vehicles involved in incidents such as hit and run collisions or serious crimes. The deciphering of mis-spaced or corrupted registration marks stretches police resources and in some instances makes it impossible to prosecute the perpetrators of serious offences. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended, prescribe the requirements for displaying registration marks on number plates. Anyone who contravenes or fails to comply with these regulations is guilty of anoffence by virtue of section 59 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994. Section 23 of that same Act empowers the Secretary of State to withdraw anassigned registration mark in such circumstances as he may determine. These powers and prescribed requirements form the basis of the arrangements,which DVLA operates in conjunction with the Police for tackling the problem of misrepresented registration marks. It would be unreasonable and legally questionable for DVLA to seek to withdraw a registration mark on the basis of anallegation that the relevant legislation had been breached. There must be hardevidence, for example a fixed penalty fine/police photographs, that such anoffence has occurred before this action is taken. The Government sell the right to display a personalised registration mark. The DVLA Sale of Marks (SOM) scheme began in 1989 and for many years DVLA took the view that certain registrations were best withheld from sale if they relied on misrepresentation for the attractiveness. In recent times, however, we have adopted a more relaxed approach towards the type of registration that we offer for sale. This changes has been possible as a result of the 'DisplayRegulations' which introduced tighter requirements for numberplates, including amandatory font style for the characters which make up the registration mark. Whilst it is recognised that the font used on official DVLA stationery maydiffer slightly from the prescribed font for registration marks, there is nointention to encourage the purchaser to misrepresent the registration mark. The SOM scheme operates under the Sale of Registration Marks Regulations 1995,as amended. These regulations make no special provisions for the display ofregistration marks which have been acquired through the sales scheme. This isbecause all vehicle registration marks, including those originating from the SOMscheme, are subject to separate legislation once they have been assigned tovehicles by virtue of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994. Currently,that separate legislation is the 'Display Regulations'. DVLA considers that it would be failing in its duty of care if it neglected toadvise customers of the SOM scheme of their responsibilities and liabilities forthe display of registration marks on vehicles. This is why we refer to thedisplay requirements during the telesales process, in auction catalogues and onthe SOM website. Customers are actively discouraged from buying if theirintention is to display the number illegally. They are advised of the possibleconsequences of doing so. Although the legislation referred to earlier in my correspondence came intoforce on 1 September 2001 applies to vehicles registered on or after that date,it also applies to replacement registration marks fitted to vehicles,irrespective of the date of registration.I trust this clarifies the position

Yours sincerely.

Sent electronically

xxxxx xxxxx

Vehicle policy Group

Swansea Vale 2

No it didn't answer my question !

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

Errr ... I got bored about 4 lines down ............ looks like she just copied / pasted some text book into the email ......

What is the actual problem - or issue that has arisen , for you to email DVLA ?

Maybe I can help you here .........

Regards,

Errr ... I got bored about 4 lines down ............  looks like she just copied / pasted some text book into the email ......

What is the actual problem - or issue that has arisen , for you to email DVLA ?

Maybe I can help you here .........

Regards,

I think he got stopped for an open 4 whereas it is supposed to be closed

My Mark

S40GGY

(My nick name for 40+ years)

so when S Reg came out it was the obvious choice

With open 4 it looks right on my last 4 cars

I keep getting stopped even thought the spacing matchs the log book

Upto now i have not been legally challenged by officers once i show the logbook copy i always keep in car & tax disc represention

But it would nice to know the real answer.

NB:

My new RX300 will be delivered in about 12 hours and i have my plates ready

My Mark

S40GGY

(My nick name for 40+ years)

so when S Reg came out it was the obvious choice

With open 4 it looks right on my last 4 cars

I keep getting stopped even thought the spacing matchs the log book

Upto now i have not been legally challenged by officers once i show the logbook copy i always keep in car & tax disc represention

But it would nice to know the real answer.

NB:

My new RX300 will be delivered in about 12 hours and i have my plates ready

Shoggy,

Unfortunatley, as near as your nickname the plate my actually look, if you look here :

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=16952

It does state, that the spacing should be of a certain distance and characters need to be like this below

numberplatefont_220101.gif

In a summarised form ........... if the text on your plates look anything "other" than those listed above, then they are illegal.

It may also be an idea, of you car is bearing illegal plates, on a public road to read this thread

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=17539

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Erm I got a producer for the plates, ordered new ones and forgot to do them at the weekend - what a *****!!

Got to get them changed quick and then the cert stamped and delivered to the local Police HQ......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links