Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Light On Dash (!)

Tron20

Hi all, just a quick question, whilst driving tonight and the other day the exclaimation light came on, on my dash when i applied the brakes, and stayed on a little while after i released the pedal then went off again, only done it about 3 times in a week, any idea's what this could be, hoping its nothing to expensive to fix, the manual suggests theres either a stop light out, or the brake fluids low.

I've checked the brake fluid and its just under the maximum mark, so could it be a dodgy brake light bulb, the brakes pads, or the brake fluid sensor all being a bit dicky or shot?

Yeah i thought it might be a dicky light bulb filament, as it only does it occasionally, i'll whip the light clusters off tomorrow and inspect the bulbs, might just swap them to be perfectly sure they are the cause.

Thanks again guys much appreciated, i'll let you know if it turns out to be anything else.

Paul

I swapped my bulbs earlier, just to be on the safe side, couldn't see anything wrong with the old ones though, but i did notice whilst they were out, if i pressed the brake pedal the warning indicator on the dash came on and stayed on, whereas last night when i was driving it was coming on for about 4 seconds or so, then going off, is there any chance it could be something else?

Hi all, just a quick question, whilst driving tonight and the other day the exclaimation light came on, on my dash when i applied the brakes, and stayed on a little while after i released the pedal then went off again, only done it about 3 times in a week, any idea's what this could be, hoping its nothing to expensive to fix, the manual suggests theres either a stop light out, or the brake fluids low.

I've checked the brake fluid and its just under the maximum mark, so could it be a dodgy brake light bulb, the brakes pads, or the brake fluid sensor all being a bit dicky or shot?

I think you'll find the red exclamation mark which goes on when the footbrake is applied is different from the car symbol warning light which indicates a bulb gone

As you say this light also relates to brake fluid . Mine has been coming on intermittently when braking for the last few months . The handbook suggests that if there is a major problem it will stay on constantly and a buzzer will sound

Mine has done this twice ,first time was a faulty bulb and the second was brake fluid .just topped it up and not came on since .At standstill the fluid level looked fine it only came on if i braked heavy or was on a very steep slope

Mr Chieveley, not quite right, the bulb out orange indicator is for the rear (edit: - tail light) bulbs, the little 12V 5W wedge type, not the brake lamp bulbs, the red exclaimation mark will come on and stay on if a brake light bulb has gone, i know, i've put a blown bulb in and found out.

I think Colin and Mudsz must be on the correct lines about it being brake fluid, just been out and had a look, it was half way between low and high, dunno what the tolerance of the sensor is, not very possibly, since mine only seems to come on under hard braking and going down a slope, otherwise it stays off. Have topped it up to the high mark and i'll have to see if it makes a difference when i go out in a bit to get some fuel. Will let you know if it's sorted out the fault

Colin and mudsz, you were both right, it was low brake fluid by the looks of it, i topped it up to the maximum line, was half way between max and min marks on the reservoir. Since then I've not seen the light at all, slightly more reassuring to drive now :D

Thanks for your help guys

Paul

• 1 year later...
I had this ............ ages ago .. and I was really worried !

It's just probably a light out !!

same problem,checked brake lights seemed ok,but was the n/s bulb,blew next day