Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet Another Mobile Phone Thread

Currently have a T610 on orange.

unhappy that this has just come top of the list of phones with the highest SAR rating - not happy with that at all. :crybaby:

So - gonna change handset.

A phone to me must,

- go bring, bring and let make and receive phonecalls

- have Bluetooth, as have a car kit and headset, and I also use it with my laptop / pda to check mail when I am out and about.

- have GPRS (or better).

Want to stay with Orange - have no real complaints with them.

Have been looking at their 3G offerings, as I like the idea of high speed mobile internet access (up to 144kps I believe).

As I have a sony carkit and headset - been looking at the Sony Ericsson Z1010.

Anyone have any practical experience of this phone?

Whats it like?

What sort of connection speeds are you getting?

There are loads of people on here who seem to know everything about the latest mobiles, so I ask you - edumacate me on 3G :lol:

Don't know anything specific about the phone Matt, but my sister moved to 3G earlier this year, and she seems happy. Good rates, flips to O2 if you don;t have coverage under 3G and good phone selection. Was tempted myself - but stuck with O2....

Oh - and thanks for your voicemail, will call you tomorrow.... ;)

Don't know anything specific about the phone Matt, but my sister moved to 3G earlier this year, and she seems happy.  Good rates, flips to O2 if you don;t have coverage under 3G and good phone selection.  Was tempted myself - but stuck with O2....

cheers mate.

how often does she drop from 3G cover?

I've played with the Nokia 6630 which is also 3G, it is a pretty good phone and although it did often drop from 3G when moving around, it switched to Vodafone mid call without any problems. I don't know how that would work on a data call!

Matt, do you have a link with the SAR rating's? I might send it to our company phone people telling them they should replace our t610's!

Don't know anything specific about the phone Matt, but my sister moved to 3G earlier this year, and she seems happy.  Good rates, flips to O2 if you don;t have coverage under 3G and good phone selection.  Was tempted myself - but stuck with O2....

cheers mate.

how often does she drop from 3G cover?

Erm - she reckons about 20 to 30% of the time. She's in London. The transfer is seamless - but remember, you move to 2G when you swap, so a data call would probably be impacted....

Currently have a T610 on orange.

unhappy that this has just come top of the list of phones with the highest SAR rating - not happy with that at all.  :crybaby:

So - gonna change handset.

A phone to me must,

- go bring, bring and let make and receive phonecalls

- have bluetooth, as have a car kit and headset, and I also use it with my laptop / pda to check mail when I am out and about.

- have GPRS (or better).

Want to stay with Orange - have no real complaints with them.

Have been looking at their 3G offerings, as I like the idea of high speed mobile internet access (up to 144kps I believe).

As I have a sony carkit and headset - been looking at the Sony Ericsson Z1010.

Anyone have any practical experience of this phone?

Whats it like?

What sort of connection speeds are you getting?

There are loads of people on here who seem to know everything about the latest mobiles, so I ask you - edumacate me on 3G  :lol:

Having just tested the Z1010, One word - Rubbish!! In all honesty, none of the current networks 3g Offerings are great. Although currently Orange officialy has the best coverage.

I would keep to the 2.5g handsets. Your Sony Car kit, is that bletooth? Should work with most Bluetooth compatible phones. Nokia 6230 are a safe bet at the moment, K700i is another excellent phone. If its a bit of everything you need, consider a Sony Ericsson P900/P910 but they are pricey.

Or, upgrade your phone to an everyday phone and perhaps look into getting a 3G card.

Kaz.

Having just tested the Z1010, One word - Rubbish!! In all honesty, none of the current networks 3g Offerings are great. Although currently Orange officialy has the best coverage.

why is it rubbish?

what didn't you like about it mate?

I would keep to the 2.5g handsets. Your Sony Car kit, is that bletooth? Should work with most bluetooth compatible phones. Nokia 6230 are a safe bet at the moment, K700i is another excellent phone. If its a bit of everything you need, consider a Sony Ericsson P900/P910 but they are pricey.

The K700i was my first choice, as it was near the bottom of the SAR ratings table.

I have been on 3G for about 10 months and to be honest the experience varies so much. Some days I think its great- others I get SOOO fed up with it.

I was attracted to the cheap voice deals. I pay £17.50/month (cash back deal) for 750mins cross network/ anytime!

I have had the Motorola A835 and the NEC616V on the 3 network and both phones seem to be decent and have good features but I get constantly dropped calls. On some occassions I have had calls dropped 15 times in a 30minute period! Other times I can speak for almost an hour without problems. I still cannot decide if its the networks fault or the phone. But to be honest their is not one phone on the 3G network (3, Voda or Orange) that I actually like - they are all quite big - however still much better then they were.

If your phone is vital for your business or something they I would stick with 2G, otherwise I suppose just try it and see. All the 3 contracts come with 14 days moneyback - so give it a go! I have heard that the coverage down south is very good.

I have been on 3G for about 10 months and to be honest the experience varies so much. Some days I think its great- others I get SOOO fed up with it.

I was attracted to the cheap voice deals. I pay £17.50/month (cash back deal) for 750mins cross network/ anytime!

I have had the Motorola A835 and the NEC616V on the 3 network and both phones seem to be decent and have good features but I get constantly dropped calls. On some occassions I have had calls dropped 15 times in a 30minute period! Other times I can speak for almost an hour without problems. I still cannot decide if its the networks fault or the phone. But to be honest their is not one phone on the 3G network (3, Voda or Orange) that I actually like - they are all quite big - however still much better then they were.

If your phone is vital for your business or something they I would stick with 2G, otherwise I suppose just try it and see. All the 3 contracts come with 14 days moneyback - so give it a go! I have heard that the coverage down south is very good.

Matt, whilst the SAR values are a good measure of power, the trouble with 3G, being around the 2.2GHz mark is that it's a greater frequency.

The signal drops off in power over distance a lot quicker than 2.5G, but it should be the same power.

HOWEVER, Bluetooth is in the 2.4GHz range, which is even more damaging at the same range.

I personally think you're more likely to run into a bus whilst using the phone rather than having your head fried :-)

Rgds,

Paul