Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS Tyre traction in the snow

Andy_IS200

Thanks but I love the look of summer tyres and the grip they get, perhaps a halfway house tyre for performance that still gets traction would be good. If going to the Alps I think you'd definitely want winter tyres or chains even depending on when you travel, I guess the ideal is two sets of wheels for summer and winter usage.

Originally posted by Andy_IS200

Guys, I heard from a friend that the standard Bridgestone tyres fitted to the IS are terrible in the snow even with the traction control, has anyone any experience of this ?

They're dire - I've had rear-drive cars before, but nothing prepared me for just how bad it was gonna be!!!

Not good in mud either - I got stuck at Knockhill the other week. Good job they had a tractor handy :tumble:

Bridgestones are bad. Winter 2000 was my worst experience of going sideways, backwards and little forward movement then I learnt having a VERY worn back tyre was most to blame (obvious really when I looked at it, accounts for some great sideways manouvers). My "snow" button has been my friend since, however I do question how useful that light on the dash is that says "I've got NO traction". As if you didn't know with that kerb coming all too rapidly toward you :-)

yep, the standard tyres are awful in the snow - spun my car at about 60 on the motorway when it was 3 weeks old. not my fault - motorway was clear apart from a patch of about 20 metres which caught me out, i was lucky, car missed everything and ended up pointing the right direction doing about 40. called police who weren't too interested. others were not so lucky - fairly serious accident later in the day that was on the local news.

I won't take mine out in bad weather now,not after last year when I had it broadside on just slush.

So I've bought a little runaround just for winter (keeps the IS safe and warm in the garage)

Has anyone tried using GoodYear Eagle F1s?

I had Bridgestones as standard on my last car and found them to be ***** so I changed to GoodYears and they were way better.

Just got my IS200 and it seems to have Dunlops on the moment and I don't rate them too much so far.

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of F1s on IS200s?

Mojo

Andy,

My last car was AWD but never got a chance to try the F1s in the snow, only the standard Bridgestones and they put me backwards through a wall when I was trying to tip toe down a hill :o

After that I've never liked driving in snow and tend to ring in to work and claim "SNOW DAY!" and go back to bed :D

Mojo

With living in Yorkshire and having a house built on a hill as steep as a cliff it doesn't take much snow to prevent me even getting the car out of the garage.

It's great for sledging to the pub though ;)

Let's start a campaign and claim our right for SNOW DAYS :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links