Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Company Name

jasper

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you know anything about the legalities of company name use? I have a company called 'Fire Safety Solutions Ltd' and have just done a search on yell.co.uk and another company is advertising under the same name as mine (which was registered at companies house 4 years ago) they are advertising word for word the same as in 'Ltd' and not 'Limited', so I was wondering where I stood?

Thnx in advance

Paul

get in touch with companies house mate, mr prolex is right, companies house will reject a company name if it closely resembles a company name already registered. so therefore they cant be a ligit company. see what response you get from companies house and then talk to your solicitor.

Just done the same search and my wifes company has the same problem only thet call it TANY-YA-HIDE and my wifes is called TAN YA HIDE,supose by adding the dashes in between they get around the problem ..

is your wifes company a registered company, ie limited and with company number?

Just done the same search and my wifes company has the same problem only thet call it TANY-YA-HIDE and my wifes is called TAN YA HIDE,supose by adding the dashes in between they get around the problem ..

is your wifes company a registered company, ie limited and with company number?

No mate ,starting to wish we had though been running for about five years now and never thought anyone else would come up with the name as is was started by my wife Tanya and a freind called Hiedi hence the name ,also we did loads of searches when she started up just in case .not a leg to stand on know if the other company has registered the name :angry:

Doesnt matter if you in another town... cannot register the same name.

Contact companies house.. they will sort it for sure as long as your registered it first.. you need to file a dispute.

Thnx for your replies guys, companies house is off line till tommorow, will check in the morning. Also, i was wondering if Fire Safety Solutions Ltd was the same as Fire Safety Solutions Limited in their eyes?

LTD Limited are the same mate...

I am really suprised Companies house allowed this.. very strange.

I have had 4 Ltd companies and 2 of them we had to change slightly

for instance if i wanted something like

Joe Bloggs LTD

if it was gone I would be allowed to call it

Joe Bloggs (Southwest) LTD

Joe Bloggs & co LTD

So you can have similar names but must not be the same.

Plus if another company complined (registeerd before you) then you would be made to change the name or strike yourself from that name... This would then be displayed in some london newspaper of the change of company notification.

Here is the companies matching

04963492 - FIRE & SAFETY SOLUTIONS LIMITED

03091466 - FIRE SAFETY SOLUTIONS LIMITED (Dissolved or strike off pending)

04264436 - FIRE SAFETY SOLUTIONS LTD

03894951 - FIRE SAFETY SOLUTIONS (UK) LIMITED

note the one with the (UK) is allowed to do this.