Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anybody Want Linksys Wifi All In For £119?

squarehead

Just bought a Linksys Wireless broadband router, PCMCIA & PCI Wireless card's from Comet for £159.98 as a package. However, on the Comet website I have noticed that they are selling the package all in for £119.99, I phoned them up and they have refunded me the difference - what a result. Anyway, at £119.99 what a bargain.

And what a package - I'm using it now to type this email what a brilliant WIFI package! If your in the market to buy one get one now!

The website is www.comet.co.uk & the product code is 222534, it also includes free delivery!

Yes it's a good price (few £ less than ebuyer, dabs etc) and good products.

If you need a PCI wireless card that is another matter - If your desktop machine will be near the router just use an UTP cable.

what about a good deal on just the adsl wireless router and wireless pc card?

what about a good deal on just the adsl wireless router and wireless pc card?

just order the two items from ebuyer. You won't save that much as the PCI card is only about £20 and ebuyer is slightly more expensive than the comet deal + postage.

• 9 months later...

Guys,

I never did order any kit but want to go wireless at home. I have a Dell PC (pretty new) and 3 laptops. 2 have built in wireless, the other doesn't. I am on NTL broadband (probably will move to the free 10mb upgrade).

Can you please advise me what I need? I don't want to spend a fortune, so don't need the best on the market, but I do want decent stuff.

Thanks in advance...

Zee - I use a Linksys WAG54G wireless router.

linksys.jpg

I don't know whether it has been replaced by Linksys but I've only had mine a year so it's still reasonably current. It will run all of your computers at home, wirelessly or through the 4 ethernet ports at the back.

The set up is dead easy and if you do get into trouble then the 24hour helpline is spot on.

Aido is going to set mine up for me so i can print wirelessly to the laser printer in the office upstairs if i am downstairs - just saves all the cabling etc !

I bought the router and a couple of other bits from http://www.itchest.co.uk/ Very helpful chap with all the right knowledge. A call to them may benefit you.

The linksys direct link to the WAG54G is Here

i've just bought a belkin pre n wireless router and desktop card for the pc, am also using it with airport cards for my macs - was all set up and running in a few mins!

if you go to the belkin (www.belkin.co.uk) web site you can use their network wizard and it will tell you exactly what you need to get.

Zee

you want a simple dsl wireless router make sure its DSL and NOT ADSL as you cannot make use of the adsl modem and you'll be having to use the NLT modem

this also makes it a bit cheaper too

when I was on NTL i used a Netgear one like this http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...oduct_uid=48546

I would connect the Dell PC direct to the router using a cable and buy a wireless card for the laptop without wireless built in

the others are just fine to connect to it

i just hooked my wireless router upto a mac to install and configure it and then moved the mac upstairs with the other computers and left the router downstairs. you could do the same with your pc if it has a wireless card or wireless usb network adapter.

yes it will be fine Zee

you can either buy a USB wireless or a PCI Wireless card to go inside the PC if its too far away for a cable.

you may need to setup the router for the first time by plugging in a cable to it as sometimes the wireless isnt setup out of the box

but thats only a 1 time issue

then they can all run from wireless no problem

Brill guys - thanks so much...I've ordered a Linksys PCI wireless card too.

Keep your eye on this thread over the weekend.... no doubt I'll be posting up for help once I've broken everything..... :blush:

Edited by Zee007

FYI - all up and running. :D

Took a couple of hours to get everything talking to each other, but its sorted.

Cant get email for some reason... and my wireless drops every so often then comes back after about 30 seconds which can be annoying but other than that am shuffed to bits...

thanks for all your help folks... :)

FYI - all up and running. :D

Took a couple of hours to get everything talking to each other, but its sorted.

Cant get email for some reason... and my wireless drops every so often then comes back after about 30 seconds which can be annoying but other than that am shuffed to bits...

thanks for all your help folks... :)

Try updating the firmware for the router and wireless card to fix the link connection issue you have. :)