Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Broadband Provider?

Maz

any one know a good broadband provider, atm im with Wanadoo which is £27.99 a months for 1 meg broadband, they are not bad, but would like something faster, does how fast i can get depend also on my phone line? is there a way to test it myself?

Not sure if you can get NTL in your area but they are upgrading there speeds once again this 1/4 i think.

So you will have the choice of

300K - 1MB – £17.99. (5GB monthly usage allowance)

750K - 2MB – £24.99. (30GB monthly usage allowance)

1.5MB - 3MB – £37.99. (40GB monthly usage allowance)

Not sure if this is any help for you as you may not get cable....if you are in a Telewest area i think they will of upgraded or be doing so soon.

check out NTHELLWORLD for more info, just remember like this forum lots more negatives rather than positives on there.

My own personal experience i have found NTL to be pretty good only lost BB twice for 2 days each time and t.v has been going strong for 2 years with no faults yet (touches wood)

Nick

Just checked, cant get Telewest either..... :crybaby::crybaby::angry::angry:

no cable company in my area, so only by BT phone line atm... :crybaby::crybaby:

anyone know if there a program that i can check my DownLoad and UP speed? even when its 1 meg broadband i got, DL seem to be pretty slow....

As stated before, have BT at work and NTL at home. I would personally say that in my experience, the works BT Broadband is shocking. After having years of service from NTL which has been fantastic at home. BT seems slower and not as reliable. If I got a penny for everytime "This page cannot be displayed" I'd be rich!!

Regardless of site and time, its just sub standard. :mat:

As stated before, have BT at work and NTL at home. I would personally say that in my experience, the works BT Broadband is shocking. After having years of service from NTL which has been fantastic at home. BT seems slower and not as reliable. If I got a penny for everytime "This page cannot be displayed" I'd be rich!!

Regardless of site and time, its just sub standard. :mat:

that can be a mtu settings problem with that adsl line... try google on: mtu adsl etc

have a look at http://efhbroadband.com i use this provider. comes with no standard email and web space so fine for broadband use only. i run my own web server at home and soon email srv too.

I've only heard good things from these guys........ I am looking for cheap adsl and was thinking about going with them, I know they are new, I know they don't have a huge customer base but it seems a good deal and their forums are not censored (not to my knowledge anyway)

As you have used them can I pick your brains?

How long have you been with them and have you had any issues?

What plan are you on?

Do you get any contract? i.e. prices fixed for at least 1 year although contract is 3 months.

What are the options for payment? Direct debit? bulk payment?

I would really appreciate your comments, as I am seriously looking to get on to human download speeds (finally!!)

Cheers!!

i am with them from last october. i arranged this whole setup via internet when i was still in belgium for work. the only problem i had was some weeks ago when they did some hardware changes on their network. we had to lower the mtu value for about 2 days. some people had more problems but by the end of the day i think it's a good package.

in belgium i had 4m down and 512k up no limits for 34 eurpo per month! but on this (old) island the fasted speed i could find is 256k up! :blink: i personally don't care about download speeds since i use my own servers and vpn connections. then the upload speed is more important as the download speed.

the support of efh is very good, even around christmas some people got replies...

the biggesed problem i find is that in the uk still bt is the master of the lines :duh: around london there are some others but nationwide nothing. in belgium / holland / portugal / germany / italy etc you have more big vendors to keep the prices low!

well not here, broadband is still very expensive for the quallity you get. hope this will change in some time.

on my efh adsl i have a whole (linux) network connected with firewall / dmz / lan

bear in mind that you only get broadband and no extra's like web space / email etc etc.

i pay with my maestro card every month, they have a kind of control panel to manages your payments. the contract is min 3 months and all goes by email. i don't know if they are keeping those prices. i am on 512-50 unlimited traffic (cheapest one since all upload speeds are the same :tsktsk: 256k)

hope you can use this information, if you take efh mention my id efh569 then i get a fiver :winky:

Scuse my ignorance, but what exactly does the monthly usage limits equate to? Number of downloads or time spent on Broadband? I'm looking into Broadband as I'm increasingly working from home and it'll beat dial-up! Will still be accessing the corporate network and just really want BB for quicker work email

Scuse my ignorance, but what exactly does the monthly usage limits equate to? Number of downloads or time spent on Broadband? I'm looking into Broadband as I'm increasingly working from home and it'll beat dial-up! Will still be accessing the corporate network and just really want BB for quicker work email

the monthly usage is the maximum amount you can download in a month (although as far as I know very few ISP's enforce them).

If you are currently using dialup - then you will not hit these maximums Claire - 40GB would take about a year to download on dialup!

So - you should be fine, your connection to work will be faster, and your phone bill will probably be smaller!

Thanks for that explanation Matt! Will definitely look into it - working from home @9 hours a day at the moment and getting phone bills of about £100 a month!

Hope your company are paying for this? If they are then they should have seen the size of the bill and put broadband in for you.

If you want fast then check out... ukonline.

UK Online is offering 8Mbit broadband service to the UK. The upstream is 400K, and there's a monthly download cap of 500GB, but at 40 pounds per month, plus 50 installation and a free wireless router in the package, that has to be among the best deals on offer from anyone.