Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres Keep Coming Off The Rims

safeski

Hi evreyone got a big problem with my is200,we have had the car for about 8 weeks now and the tyres keep coming off the rims they are astandard is200 wheels with 4 dunlop tyres on,i have taken it to a tyre place and he seeemed to think that the rims maybe dirty and suggested a rebuild on each wheel and cleaning the rims inside,so i let him do this last saturday,but i was just wondering if anybody else had come across this before.

Thanks John

what exactly do u mean by coming off the rims - explain a bit more - assuming u men the tyre comes off and goes towards the outside of the wheel.

what air pressure do u have in the wheel first?? should be 33psi

standard tyre size is 215/45/17

dont understnad what u mean by "rebuilding" the wheels either.

Hi first of all i am not driving it hard,it has happened to me and the wife(and she drives slow)the tyre size is 215/45/17 dunlop sp3000,and when it happens it must be pushing the outside wall of the tyre to the inside thus causing the tyre to go down,this is really doing my head in as i bought for my wife cause she is expecting....

Thanks John

what exactly do u mean by coming off the rims - explain a bit more - assuming u men the tyre comes off and goes towards the outside of the wheel.

what air pressure do u have in the wheel first??   should be 33psi

standard tyre size is 215/45/17  

dont understnad what u mean by "rebuilding" the wheels either.

I have 225/45/17 on my IS and i dont get this ;)

me think you have 215/45/18 on 17,s :duh:

defo sounds like a lack of air, does it happen only on one tyre or all of them? its a long shot, but if the tyre is taken off u might find that the bead of the tyre is damaged/ bead rubber ripped, and so when u are driving/cornering it is allowing the air to escape.

i had a slow puncture and drove the ca no probs, i checked the tyre and it only had 10 psi in it so u must have 0 for it to do this

defo sounds like a lack of air, does it happen only on one tyre or all of them?  its a long shot, but  if the tyre is taken off u might find that the bead of the tyre is damaged/ bead rubber ripped, and so when u are driving/cornering  it is allowing the air to escape.

i had a  slow puncture and drove the ca no probs, i checked the tyre and it only had 10 psi in it so u must have 0 for it to do this

hi it is happening to all the tyres,the guy who i bought the car off had just had them fitted about 2 weeks before.

Thanks for your suggestions

Somethings not right. Double check tyre size ..... and wheel size. How often do they "come off the rim"? Have heard somewhere about the alloy wheels can go porous an let air in ???

I had similar thing happen on a freelander when I popped it up a kerb, two tyres deflated ...... that was on 6 month old tyres and wheels .... it was caused by faulty tyres ..... they replaced all 4 wheels and tyres.

Are you sure the tyres are brand new and not seconds quality?

Take the car to a tyre shop and get them to have a look. Sounds like the tyres aren't fitting correctly and the air is escaping which in turn causes the tyres to come off.

The tyres are probably already damaged and maybe the rims.

Not what you want to hear but Dunlop sp3000s are not that good a tyre for the IS, sp9000s were standard fitment.

as the others have said, this is definately not a common problem and if the tyres were only fitted a few weeks ago then its most likely their at fault.

if worst comed to the worst get some new tyres such as sp9000`s or the bridgestone potenzas or similar that are designed for the is200. look in the search field and you will find threads relating to which tyres to get where from and how much

Having spent several years in the trade, a couple of things spring to mind...

1) Faulty batch of tyres (solution ... you need four new tyres ASAP)

2) Corroded seating area where tyre sits on rim (solution....remove tyre from rims, clean with wire brush and spray with 5 wheel silver paint)

3) your rims have been refurbished ,and to much metal as been taken from the front rim area (solution ... need new wheels)

4) this would be very rare, BUT a tyre fitted has removed the tyres and has damaged the beading of the tyre or ripped some of the rubber off the seating area of the tyre (solution....replace tyres ASAP )

Sorry to say the last suggestion is all to common, most old style tyre machines only take up to 16" rims, so if you try doing a 17" IS200 rim ,your going to damage the tyre and rim big time :ohmy: ,

Bob.

I've just had the same problem with mine. The rear driver's side wheel - and front passenger wheel had the problem of the tyre deflating. I took mine to a tyre place and they said that the tyres hadn't been sealed good enough, so they painted that molten rubber stuff on the inside and resealed the tyres. Touch wood I haven't had any problems since.

PS. I was told the cause of the problem was that I've got new tyres fitted (but not sealed properly).

17" or bigger rims need to be done on a machine with a jockey wheel, as in photo, this pushes the tyre down so the lever bar can be got inside to remove tyre without damaging rim .

ms65_03.jpg