Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi......intending to look at a high mileage series iv at the weekend (163000). History looks good and I feel confident as it comes with a Lexus warranty. I'll probably need to hang onto it for 5 yrs( approx a further 100k miles).

2 questions...1. Will it be good for a further 100k miles ? and 2. Any advice as to what questions I should pose in connection with such a high mileage. I know the cam belt was changed recently and it had a B service in November.

I feel comfortable with the high miles as everything I read concerning the LS400 points to its remarkable reliability.

Cheers

Sporran :)

engine and gearbox will be fine for another 100k miles if services are done correctly.

I would get the gearbox fluid changed.

Suspension bushes/linkages can wear. I would try and test drive a lower mileage vehicle to compare.

engine and gearbox will be fine for another 100k miles if services are done correctly.

Suspension bushes/linkages can wear. I would try and test drive a lower mileage vehicle to compare.

Thanks for that......If I'm unable to test drive a lower mileage vehicle as you suggest, though I'll do my best to do so, is the experience of driving meant to be a bit of a magic carpet ride ( from what I've read), ie quiet without unusual noises? I understand a Lexus warranty vehicle also comes with an RAC inspection; would this cover the areas you refer to? You can probably tell I'm not a mechanic !!

Hi......intending to look at a high mileage series iv at the weekend (163000).  History looks good and I feel confident as it comes with a Lexus warranty.    I'll probably need to hang onto it for 5 yrs( approx a further 100k miles).

2 questions...1.  Will it be good for a further 100k miles ?  and 2.  Any advice as to what questions I should pose in connection with such a high mileage.    I know the cam belt was changed recently and it had a B service in November.

I feel comfortable with the high miles as everything I read concerning the LS400 points to its remarkable reliability.     

Cheers

Sporran  :)

I agree with the above comments providing the car has been serviced correctly? they are extremely mechanically sound, on the test drive listen for bottom ball joint knocking, and exhaust leaks from the balance pipe that runs over the gearbox linking both exhaust pipes, both common faults although probably not on a car of this age.

Spend extra time thoroughly testing and examining ALL electrical items for correct function and clarity particularly LCD screens they should be clear and bright, check all dashboard guages for correct readings and operation including needles, take your time and be sure, electricals cost a fortune to put right.

Good luck with your purchase,

Chris Vince

Thanks for the good advice so far.....I was advised a ball joint was replaced recently. Not sure about the balance pipe leak......what are the signs? Smell of fumes I presume? Good point re the electrics....I'll try and give all the gauges and switches a methodical check. Sat nav will procbably lose me!

:D

With that kind of age and mileage, any luxury car will have worn suspension, even the LS400. Try and get the car inspected if you can. The car will not be driving/handling "like new" at that mileage assuming the original bushes and control arms. My advice would be to budget for a suspension overhaul at some point if you plan to keep it for another 100k miles. The engine and gearbox are pretty much bulletproof assuming the previous owners cared for the car and changed the fluids (not just oil and filter), and kept the car in good condition. What kind of service history does the car have? Just a book with stamps or the actual invoices so you can see the work that has been done? Yes, LS400s are reliable, but they are still liable to abuse, so make sure previous owners haven't skimped on maintenance.

IMHO, the LS400 has a good ride, though not magic carpet. The Jag XJ and S class have been described as magic carpet ride when compared with the LS400 in the past. The early LS400s tended to get a bit jittery on B roads, but that's all changed with the later models.

Hope this helps.

With that kind of age and mileage, any luxury car will have worn suspension, even the LS400. Try and get the car inspected if you can. The car will not be driving/handling "like new" at that mileage assuming the original bushes and control arms. My advice would be to budget for a suspension overhaul at some point if you plan to keep it for another 100k miles. The engine and gearbox are pretty much bulletproof assuming the previous owners cared for the car and changed the fluids (not just oil and filter), and kept the car in good condition. What kind of service history does the car have? Just a book with stamps or the actual invoices so you can see the work that has been done? Yes, LS400s are reliable, but they are still liable to abuse, so make sure previous owners haven't skimped on maintenance.

IMHO, the LS400 has a good ride, though not magic carpet. The Jag XJ and S class have been described as magic carpet ride when compared with the LS400 in the past. The early LS400s tended to get a bit jittery on B roads, but that's all changed with the later models.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about the extent of the service history, but I've been assured by the Lexus dealer in Nottingham that they've serviced it throughout its life and that the owner did not skimp on servicing or any repair work. Hopefully the paperwork will prove this. If I make provision for revamping the suspension, what sort of figure should I have in mind? Thanks for the advice.

Hope this helps.

Not sure about the extent of the service history, but I've been assured by the Lexus dealer in Nottingham that they've serviced it throughout its life and that the owner did not skimp on servicing or any repair work. Hopefully the paperwork will prove this. If I make provision for revamping the suspension, what sort of figure should I have in mind? Thanks for the advice.

Budget up to £2,000. I don't suspect Lexus have changed their design, so if the bushes are worn, you have to actually change the entire control arm, as some of the bushes are pressed in, and you can't actually buy the bush separately from Lexus, you have to buy a new arm, which in the UK cost a huge amount.

Again, a dealer will say whatever they need in order to sell a car and make a profit. Many cars are serviced (which is generally oil and filter with and an inspection), but not all cars are maintained to factory spec. because some owners want to save cash. My personal opinion is to walk away from the car unless it has a paper trail to back up claims that it's been looked after, unless the price has been reduced to reflect no paper trail.

Hope this helps.

Budget up to £2,000. I don't suspect Lexus have changed their design, so if the bushes are worn, you have to actually change the entire control arm, as some of the bushes are pressed in, and you can't actually buy the bush separately from Lexus, you have to buy a new arm, which in the UK cost a huge amount.

Again, a dealer will say whatever they need in order to sell a car and make a profit. Many cars are serviced (which is generally oil and filter with and an inspection), but not all cars are maintained to factory spec. because some owners want to save cash. My personal opinion is to walk away from the car unless it has a paper trail to back up claims that it's been looked after, unless the price has been reduced to reflect no paper trail.

Just phoned to make sure there is some sort of paper trail....the chap i spoke to said if anything missing they would have it on their database and they'd allow me access to view previous bills. Presumably print off copies if req'd. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi ...i noticed some earlier postings referring to a high mileage Lexus in Nottingham. Does anybody know if it's the one for sale at Lexus,Nottingham for £8450 with 164k on the clock? Appreciate any comments as the ones I looked at appeared to be negative..........just feeling a bit nervous. thanks.

Hi...I noticed you made a post on the 11.1.05 referring to a high mileage model that could have been in better condition. Just on the off chance it's not the one for sale at Nottingham for £8450 with 163k on the clock?

Do set aside the funds for repair. I did not spend enough time researching a 1990 LS400 with 169,000 miles. Within the first month of ownership I have had to replace the power steering pump, the alternator (I got stranded on the highway), the steering rack, front brake pads, timing belt and lower ball joint. (Cost: $4600 USD or about 2400 GBP) Two different mechanics are also recommending front stuts and front upper control arms -- for approximately the amount I have already had to put into the car. But, since I haven't even had the car a month, I think I'll just hold off for a while -- maybe a long while.

Do set aside the funds for repair. I did not spend enough time researching a 1990 LS400 with 169,000 miles. Within the first month of ownership I have had to replace the power steering pump, the alternator (I got stranded on the highway), the steering rack, front brake pads, timing belt and lower ball joint. (Cost: $4600 USD or about 2400 GBP) Two different mechanics are also recommending front stuts and front upper control arms -- for approximately the amount I have already had to put into the car. But, since I haven't even had the car a month, I think I'll just hold off for a while -- maybe a long while.

Thanks for the warning .......I'm hoping the warranty will cover such a contingency.

I should really pay for a vehicle examination....about £300 through the RAC...but obviously worthwhile.

The pictures on the Nottingham Lexus website are NOT the car for sale. The interior shot is particularly misleading as it shows whay in my opinion looks like a brand new LS400 with a half wooden steering wheel and wooden gear knob. I have pointed this out to the people at lexus that it is misleading. They obviously have done nothing about it. I have many tales of woe about my experience with that car and Lexus Nottingham.

The pictures on the Nottingham Lexus website are NOT the car for sale. The interior shot is particularly misleading as it shows whay in my opinion looks like a brand new LS400 with a half wooden steering wheel and wooden gear knob. I have pointed this out to the people at lexus that it is misleading. They obviously have done nothing about it. I have many tales of woe about my experience with that car and Lexus Nottingham.

Thank you.........I'll avoid this one. I shall carry on looking as I've set my heart on a LS 400 but it certainly shows the value of this Forum.

I notice Sheffield are having a sale this weekend ........ anybody any comments on the dealer there? :D

I'm sure you'll find the right one eventually. The wait will be be worth it. Ive had mine 2 weeks and I can't stop grinning everytime I drive it! :D

I'm looking forward to it. Does it make sense to buy from a Dealer, to benefit from the Lexus warranty, or because the vehicles are so robust , assuming it passes say an RAC inspection the odds are reasonable it should be a good buy from any other source? I guess it's the old cliche 'how long is a bit of string?'

I've just purchased a MK 1 on a "J" plate with 142k on the clock and the magic carpet ride is so true.....so i would expect it to feel better on a later model.

:D

I've got a very low mileage MkIV. I also tested a MkIII (possibly MkII can't remember which one). The MkIII was a lot more floaty. MkIV should go round corners a lot quicker than you expect and still be very stable. I wouldn't expect passengers to be thrown around.

Driving around a car park (ie slowly) with the window down it should be totally silent. On a motorway I can hear a slight wind-rush that's all. When I first bought it I used to put the gear in neutral and forget to put it back in drive but couldn't hear the engine when revved.

My mkIV now on 143,000 miles, puchased at 54k as a three year old. I'm v pleased with this faithful workhorse and hope you enjoy your prospective new car as much as i have mine.

you shouldnt have any problems at all with bulletproof engine and gearbox, provided (as other posts have said) the car has been main dealer serviced. Lexus UK dealers say they have never needed to change a LS400 autobox. Main dealer service is v good but expensive. Must ensure that cambelt service has been done at specified times. When you're in for next service, ask dealer to check / clean out throttle body which sometimes accumulates carbon deposits and also check no slack on throttle cable.

My car is driven hard but surprisingly tyres last 40,000 miles a set. Am presently using Yokohama AVS dB550 as original Dunlop D8s are firstly ancient technology and secondly difficult to obtain. Best stick to Japanese tyres, I've used Contis and Pirelli P7 before (latter produce loads of road noise) and just dont suit the way this car drives.

I suppose we have to expect some wear and tear on cars of this mileage. Black interior keeps its appearance (IMHO) much better than the lighter Lexus colours. I had some problems with drivers seat sagging, so changed seat backrest and cushion, which was expensive. Also I had to change one front suspension arm at around £450 due to the bushes wearing out. Nowt wrong with the arm, just bushes - I think Maneesh put a posting some while back where says where you can get these at a good price. I have had to change TWO 'fly-by-wire' throttle position sensors, one FOC under warranty - jerky / slow response is the giveaway.

Check which sat-nav disc you have. It can be updated at a cost of around £160. My wife bought a "tom-tom go" stand-alone satnav unit to for her Audi today but my seven year old Lexus unit is way better.

original polished 16-inch alloy wheels look v nice when new but the lacquer comes off and the wheel corrodes. So budget for about £80 a wheel for a body shop to re-finish these for you. Also budget for respraying the bumpers and mirrors; the paint on plastic trim doesnt last so well. The main body paint finish should still be perfect.

Apart from the problem with the throttle sensor (I believe Lexus have changed many of these) I have never heard of any electrical problems on a LS400 - all the same, best check all electrical toys work, like the electic heated seats, radio, sat nav, instruments, Xenon headlamps because otherwise they will be expensive to fix.

I sometimes think of changing to Merc or BMW 7 next time but all the owners i talk to talk about problems with these cars. So i'll stick with my present car till Lexus bring out a hybrid LS, with nice firm seats.

A final word on longevity - at my local main dealer one customer has a still fresh-looking 300,000+ miles LS400 1992 model which comes in for regular service....

My mkIV now on 143,000 miles, puchased at 54k as a three year old. I'm v pleased with this faithful workhorse and hope you enjoy your prospective new car as much as i have mine. 

you shouldnt have any problems at all with bulletproof engine and gearbox, provided (as other posts have said) the car has been main dealer serviced.  Lexus UK dealers say they have never needed to change a LS400 autobox. Main dealer service is v good but expensive. Must ensure that cambelt service has been done at specified times.  When you're in for next service, ask dealer to check / clean out throttle body which sometimes accumulates carbon deposits and also check no slack on throttle cable.

My car is driven hard but surprisingly tyres last 40,000 miles a set. Am presently using Yokohama AVS dB550 as original Dunlop D8s are firstly ancient technology and secondly difficult to obtain. Best stick to Japanese tyres, I've used Contis and Pirelli P7 before (latter produce loads of road noise) and just dont suit the way this car drives.

I suppose we have to expect some wear and tear on cars of this mileage. Black interior keeps its appearance (IMHO) much better than the lighter Lexus colours. I had some problems with drivers seat sagging, so changed seat backrest and cushion, which was expensive.  Also I had to change one front suspension arm at around £450 due to the bushes wearing out. Nowt wrong with the arm, just bushes -  I think Maneesh put a posting some while back where says where you can get these at a good price. I have had to change TWO 'fly-by-wire' throttle position sensors, one FOC under warranty - jerky / slow response is the giveaway. 

Check which sat-nav disc you have. It can be updated at a cost of around £160. My wife bought a "tom-tom go" stand-alone satnav unit to for her Audi today but my seven year old Lexus unit is way better.

original polished 16-inch alloy wheels look v nice when new but the lacquer comes off and the wheel corrodes. So budget for about £80 a wheel for a body shop to re-finish these for you. Also budget for respraying the bumpers and mirrors; the paint on plastic trim doesnt last so well. The main body paint finish should still be perfect.

Apart from the problem with the throttle sensor (I believe Lexus have changed many of these)  I have never heard of any electrical problems on a LS400 - all the same, best check all electrical toys work, like the electic heated seats, radio, sat nav, instruments, xenon headlamps because otherwise they will be expensive to fix.

I sometimes think of changing to Merc or BMW 7 next time but all the owners i talk to talk about problems with these cars. So i'll stick with my present car till Lexus bring out a hybrid LS, with nice firm seats.

A final word on longevity - at my local main dealer one customer has a still fresh-looking 300,000+ miles LS400 1992 model which comes in for regular service....

Thanks for the detail. Been receiving some criticism recently from wife,family and friends recently as to my desire for an LS400, saying it'll be expensive etc. I agree that certain components no doubt will be expensive to replace when they break down........but the likelihood of anything major on this marque seems remote by what I've read. And I'm particularly impressed by its longevity....especially as I'm liable to keep the car for 5 years and cover in excess of 100k. I need a vehicle that has an unquestionable reliability record......and of all the mags etc I read the Lexus shines through. Even fuel consumption doesn't sound too bad .....anything up to 30 mpg? I think the wife wants me to get a Ford Focus....Aaargh......*** forbid!

Cheers for the advice. :D

I've just looked on the Lexus.co.uk website for the 163k LS400 at Lexus Nottingham and it looks stunning - so stunning that it looks dodgy. If this is a case of deliberately misrepresenting one of their cars to make it look better than it is, then Lexus Nottingham should be ashamed of themselves. You might expect this from Arthur Daley Boneshakers & Sons, but not Lexus! Poor show.