41 members have voted

1. 1. Good Idea......

• Yes
    • No

In theory....

A great idea

In practice.....

As Matt says, just another p***ing contest

It wont be used by the people it should be (the newbies) unless it is a visible button

The system will be abused then it will be removed

Friends will vote for each other as people get to know each other then yes they become friends, thats a natural progression, and again biased Repping acounts as abuse

Negative votes will be done out of spite dont have the neg rep feature

It will be impossible to police perhaps only allow one person to dish out the rep based public say so.

I wont get any votes

Will it make any difference to the forum or how helpful people are i think it will encourage people to put more back into the club in exchange for a good rep

not seen many offers to;

- code this up

- test it

- make sure it integrates with our existing forum

- make sure it integrates with things like the gallery, garage etc

Mat i thought i was a module that could be added to these types of forum..

:D

How bout this solution, make me the Rep police, and i will dish out the rep when people say a post deserves it.. that way abuse will not happen, i would think that codeing may be easier (dunno)

then i think it should deffo fall on one person to make the call if a post deserves the rep or not.

Perhaps not call it Rep, but more ' this member has helped X people'

but, hey if the powers that be say nahh then so be it..

same people that police the moderators of LOC.. US  if the rep policeperson gets outahand then im sure they will be told and there license revoked..

I guess the point I was trying to make was, say a newbie joins and asks a question - say, about buying a second hand OEM Sat Nav and installing it..

I answer, 'I use a TomTom PDA solution, much cheaper etc.....'

Mat Answers 'You need the correct loom etc......'

The newbie then clicks my answer as being helpful, but not Mat's...

You, as the 'moderator' decide that wasn't justified, and choose to remove the 'point'...

My point is, if you have one person to decide, then surely it will come down to what that person decides justifies the point as useful... and even if you have several, the same problem could exist basically because whats useful for one person, is useless for another.... if ya know what i mean..

i get ya ian..

the way i see it, people will not get rep for answering questions like you mentioned, rep will be given for OUTSTANDING answers or help..

lets take the above example,, if someone had answered you need the following part numbers xyz, beware of this beware of that..have a look here... look there, your find a diagram here etc.

Now to me that is LOADS more helpful than 'i use tom tom' or you need the correct loom..

If some one asked me about a carputer say,, i have a WEALTH of diagrams and howto (install screen in oem nav housing) and lots of sites that give you the parts needed say for the screen bezal fabrication etc.. and if i list the LOT then to me that more heldful that yeh it can be done..

In any case a good answer will not allways mean you get a point..

This argument of one person being in control.. i think your find that the same could be applied to a moderators decision to edit a post or the like..

Perhaps have a few rep police..

well, from what you say there, your putting the power soley in charge of the rep police and turning it to just being who knows the most.. rather than, who has been helpful..

And of course, your putting it to a bunch of persons who get to decide what is helpful and what isnt...

And you illustrated my point quite well, because how can you say that my mentioning the PDA nav, wouldnt actually solve the newbie's problem quicker and cheaper, and actually be better than the info you suggest ;)

indeed ian,, help is subjective.... as is a moderators decision to say, censor a word, or close a thread.. none the less its an ok decision..

no system is without fault or without a way of abusing,, what the 'rep' points are all about is trying to encourage people to give as much as they take informationwise.

i myself can be guilty of seeing a post, knowing a solution but not being arsed to type it up... however if i wa gona gain a rep point then hey i might just be arsed...

has every one lost the plot

its a bit of fun !

if it can work on the is300.net  it can work anywhere

rep to paul for the suggestion

Hey, Paul was the one saying people wernt commenting..

and as im not on IS300.net, i cant possibly comment on that side....

haha mat.. you have answered the question of "Post count does matter" :D:D:D

Yeah i fiddled it by 300.... i will slap it back.. promise... but I was leader for 3 years!!!!

yeah post count does matter... damn word association thread :(

has every one lost the plot

its a bit of fun !

if it can work on the is300.net  it can work anywhere

rep to paul for the suggestion

exactly..

you cant beat my post count :P :P

:shifty:no it seems we cant, Administrative powers at there best

so using Pauls analogy, if a newbie asks a question and i post a link to the "search" feature, will i get REP for that

no cause that aint helpful, and is a standard answer.. im talking about real real helpful posts..

an example.. geoffers wing mirror closure.. now that deserved some rep..