Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Holocaust

Steve

Anyone watch BBC 1 last night in regards to the Holocaust

I was horrorfied, I had seen worse on the history channels and it really sickens me to see the treatment those poor Jews went through.

It would never happen in europe this day and age but I get upset to think how someone can just do that sort of thing to another human being.

did i read right that 11 million people were murdered.. 1.5 million being children?

So this thread is In memory of those who suffered and died. :crybaby:

Visited Matthausen in Austria when I first came over. I was surprised at how much it affected me, eerie place - very quiet - no birds or animals.

That is one of the smaller ones. Still hard to believe this was done by a 'civilised' country only 60 years ago.

Horrific I agree - and to think there are still the odd groups around the world who still support it - I just hope future generations get to see the footage in years to come to recall just how bad it must have been.

Chatting at tea break this morning and it turns out that the father of a mate was in a camp for 3 years ...

Shocking.

Ann Frank was in the one near me...........

however , there are stories of how the British liberated this camp..........the Barracks where i am now based was use to house the Jews and internees from Belsen from Liberation untill 1957...yep, thats right, they were still held untill that date, as the world didnt know what to do with all these "people"

ah there is more to History, than what you read or watch on TV, theres more local history thats uncovered everyday..

theres some strange local history round me here that would scare the boots of a bogey man..........all to do with the war though, some very intresting artifacts aswell, hidden away :shifty:

well just look at what happened in bosnia with the serbs only a few years ago. hundreds of thousands dead and missing and that was in a place where we used to go visit on holiday !!!!

*** must be upstairs wondering how he :tsktsk: bigtime when he created us.

well just look at what happened in bosnia with the serbs only a few years ago. hundreds of thousands dead and missing and that was in a place where we used to go visit on holiday !!!!

*** must be upstairs wondering how he  :tsktsk: bigtime when he created us.

Hmmmmm, know the place well...........spent the best part of 1995 - 1996 sorting that heap of ***** out aswell..............

Visited Belson Bergen in 75 everything was so quiet, sent shivers down my spine.

At one time German army recruits had to visit and stay there . Do they still do that Mat,as you are stationed virtually next door?

Lest we forget

Very sad.

A neighbour of mine was also held for 3 years in one. She NEVER talks about it.

I only found out when I (stupidly) asked her about some marks on her arm after I'd done some shopping for her. She got very upset and said she'd rather not talk about it - even asked me to leave.

Her son came around the next day and explained to me. Worst thing was, she told him to send on her apologies for getting so emotional!

To have the constant reminder through physical scars as well as emotional must be awful.

Lost 2 family members in Auschwitz and we're not Jewish... just Polish

Treblinka was built on land originally owned by my family so this is very close to me. My great grandfather and his brother lost everything - it was a succesful gravel pit and forestry business.

The Nazis didn't leave in such a hurry from Treblinka so were able to destroy most of the evidence. There are people living in the nearby village who still remember what happened.

I've been researching my family history for a while and as a result the holocaust in general.

I watched the TV yesterday and despite being very British and not jewish it was difficult to watch. All those black and white photo's, all those innocent lives.

It absolutley sickens me to be brutally honest.

I watched Schindlers List a couple of times a few years back, but i can't watch it again as long as i live.

I'm a very placid person, but after watching the film, and indeed the documentaries on Auschwitz and the Holocaust, I have been absolutley totally and utterly filled with hatred and anger.

The atrocities that were committed by a group of alleged human beings to an innocent group of people that were just trying to get on with their lives in peace were disgusting.

Just cannot digest the horrors that went on during the Holocaust, really can't.

Stu