Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ebay Security

Kazi

Just thought id let you guys no that if you receive an email with content like this;

Dear (kdul@orange.net),

In an effort to protect your eBay account security, we have suspended your account until such

time that it can be safely restored to you. We have taken this action because your password

may have been compromised. Although we cannot disclose our investigative procedures that LED

to this conclusion, please know that we took this action in order to maintain the safety of your account.

However, your account is marked for too many successful logins last week (January, 20-28, 2005).

It is more interesting that the hostnames are from different countries:

United States (c-67-160-224-80.client.comcast.net)

Canada (HSE-Toronto-ppp304429.sympatico.ca)

Sweden (c213-100-93-27.swipnet.se)

Russia (32.122-140-213.telenet(blocked word))

Please authorize your registration information on or before February 3, 2005.

Currently registration information will be screened when you login.

Follow the link to make sure you are on a secure eBay webpage.

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

Thank you for using eBay!

Do not click on the link and enter you're debit/credit card details. This has been reported to eBay and i'm awaiting a response but know its not right becasue the email address they used is not one I use anymore.

:mat: Be careful.

I get on average - about 4 a week .........

Also starting getting a few spoof paypal ones too ....

just to remember, if you ever get anything like it - jst forward it onto

spoof at eBay.co.uk

or

spoof at paypal.co.uk

Regards,

i get this one loads as well.............bloody :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: .............thats better!!!!!

I get about 2 of these a week from eBay and about 3 sometimes more a week from pay pal. All have suspended my accounts and want me to re-enter password and bank details :huh:

eBay and pay pal say they would NEVER send anyone an email either asking for personal information or with a link to logging in

some really basic tips.

1 - use firefox - not internet explorer. Many of these scam sites using a floating layer to position the eBay / paypal url over your address bar.

Firefox has a different layout - so this does not work

2 - there is a firefox extension called Spoofstick.

This extension shows you the true domain of a page in a bar at the top of your browser. If you are ever in any doubt as to if you are on a "real" site, or a scam one - the spoofstick bar will tell you.

mmmmm not sure if i follow this correctly but as i am using firefox and have just installed the spoofstick.

if i click the link in the first post spoofstick still tels me i am on eBay.com or depending which setting it is on signin.ebay.com

so has the link been changed in the first post ????

mmmmm  not sure if i follow this correctly but as i am using firefox and have just installed the spoofstick.

if i click the link in the first post spoofstick still tels me i am on ebay.com  or depending which setting it is on signin.ebay.com

so has the link been changed in the first post ????

lol!

thats because the original poster posted a link to eBay!

presumably, thats the text of the link - so it looked like an eBay link, but was directed to another scam site, a bit like the one below.

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn