Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Arch Rolling

GALLA_4

basically, your arch is about a centimetre thick - and if you lower your car, and/or put on big alloys (and/or have the wrong offset) then the wheel can rub against this 'lip'

So rolling the arches, is a way of flattening this lip, thereby increasing the space under the arch, and having less chance of the wheel rubbing

Basically, bending the "return lip" on the inside edge of the wheel arch to give you more clearance.

The tool to do it has a roller that runs back and forth along the edge of the arch - hence the phrase.

Should be ok then mate! :D Especially as your car isn't lowered. Also if you do get a small rub you can always get the arches rolled - its not expensive to do (just finding someone with the machine can be a pain)

How did you get them in et40? I thought the closest offset for the Lex available for these alloys was 38?

Anyway please keep me updated with how you get on and I hope you don't have the same trouble as me!

Also....the alloys have Spiggot Rings which I didn't put on because I was advised not to by the tyre place. Are you going to be using them? I was told that Jap cars don't really need them - but I'm not really sure if this is right.

Spiggot rings? Are they like spacers Anees? Alteezascott banged his straight on and not a bother! U said u were lowered are you sure that that a 30mm drop Anees, because if the lowering aint done right it can really make a mess, and from what u were describing in another post it sounds like u had a nightmare

rolling the arches will damage the paint work to  :ph34r: and you will have to get the inside of the arches painted or rust will set in  :nuke:  :ph34r:

Gord

Do you think I will have any problems with theses 18" rims with 225/40/R18 tyres considering I have never lowered the car? Visually looking at the space at the moment on the car between the top of the tyres and the arches, there seems to be a good bit of room for an extra inch

Spiggot rings? Are they like spacers Anees? Alteezascott banged his straight on and not a bother! U said u were lowered are you sure that that a 30mm drop Anees, because if the lowering aint done right it can really make a mess, and from what u were describing in another post it sounds like u had a nightmare

With Gordon's help I can see light at the end of the tunnel! :lol:

These things are send to try us and *** I've been tried! :sick::tomato: It is alot of messing about! I PM'd AltezzaScott before I bought mine and he had an offset of 38 and said they were fine - but he did get a small rub when he tried full lock.

Spiggot Rings are not spacers they are small rings thet fit flush with the wheel mounting surface and help centralise the position of the alloy on the mounting surface. Because the IS is 5 stud I was told not to bother - but I'm not sure about this.

I don't think its a problem with the lowering since AltezzaScott's car is much more heavily modified and lowered more then mine I think.

As Gord said the arches will rust if your paint cracks behind the arches. No prizes for guessing who this happened to and had to have the bit behind the rear arches resprayed? :crying::tomato:

The current situation is that the alloys are now off my car. I have some standard 17"s on that look TINY! LOL :lol: The Tooras are off at an engineering place getting machined down to as close as possible the correct offset. The engineer won't take off more then 3mm becuase otherwise it would weaken the wheel. So with a new offset of 41 and rolled arches I hope the saga is finally over!

Should get the wheels back very soon I hope. I also had some crappy cheap tyres that had a soft sidewall that didn't help! My new tyres which will be fitted when then alloys are put back on are Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's which have a stronger sidewall.

Good luck.....I hope you don't need it!

Worth mentioning...

Rolling will crack your paint if not heated by the person whos carrying the work out.

I'm fitting 8x19s front and 9.5x19s rear... think i will have rubbing?

:winky:

Worth mentioning...

Rolling will crack your paint if not heated by the person whos carrying the work out.

I'm fitting 8x19s front and 9.5x19s rear... think i will have rubbing?

:winky:

nice......... you'll need more bhp ant torque to make it move! :winky:

you could always get a lower profile tyre! or do it jap style and have smaller tyre and streeeeeeetch them over the wheels dori style! :hehe:

Anees

All the hassle aside for a moment! Did they look good on your car in real life? Were you happy with the design/style? Are the head turners or just another set of joe soap 18" wheels

The fact that the wheels look FANTASTIC is the only thing that stopped getting seriously pi**ed off!

They look AMAZING on the car. I've had loads of people looking at them :D :D

I think they are amongst the best looking wheels for the car! :driving:

Good Luck Mr Singh!