Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharger And Pre-cats

robertmj

Guys

I've placed an order with TDI to have a SC and back box fitted to my IS200 Sport (jumped in at the special prices being offered).

Having looked at some of the posts on here I am wondering about my pre-cats.

How many of you with SC fitted have had problems with the pre-cats? And if you have had problems, what sort of use does the car get (ie. Track, autobahn, typical UK point and squirt driving).

I know several of you will say they MUST be removed but what I'm interested in is real problems experienced by not removing. I'm having the kit fitted as much for the extra tourque as the gain in BHP, and I'm not really interested in top end speed (just acceleration and driveability). After all £285 could be used for other cosmetic goodies. :D

Regards

Mike Roberts

Guys

I've placed an order with TDI to have a SC and back box fitted to my IS200 Sport (jumped in at the special prices being offered).

Having looked at some of the posts on here I am wondering about my pre-cats.

How many of you with SC fitted have had problems with the pre-cats? And if you have had problems, what sort of use does the car get (ie. Track, autobahn, typical UK point and squirt driving).

I know several of you will say they MUST be removed but what I'm interested in is real problems experienced by not removing. I'm having the kit fitted as much for the extra tourque as the gain in BHP, and I'm not really interested in top end speed (just acceleration and driveability). After all £285 could be used for other cosmetic goodies.   :D

Regards

Mike Roberts

hi mike, i still have my pre-cats in mate no problems :D but im going to get them taken out soon :D £285 is way ott for that job mate, can get them done and save you over £200 mate as you say £200 or other mods :ph34r: can get you s/c fitted for £350 all in to :D £435 with cats removed :D cheers gordon

yep i agree with most,, i had mine removed after about 2/3 months.

the car will be more responsive,

If you leave them in you MAY run the risk of them melting...

as for 285 price.. Tdi..id like a word please.. you remeber how much you charged me......please explain why it was more expensive..... :huh:

So the crack is ...... If having an s/c fitted get the pre cats removed??

What does this actually involve? Is something fitted in there place?

Would the car still pass an mot? If so what do they do in the first place?

Thanks for your help guys. As you can tell i've no idea what these things are but I am having s/c fitted and want to get it right first time. Without car back and forth to the garage

Adie

My pre-cats broke up and that was with the later silver piggyback ecu box too.

For those that think their's are ok... How do you know ?

Even if you don't get them removed now, i'd look to have it done before long.

what happened when they broke up tony,how did you know.

Dyno run was down on power. Then with manifold off, shook it and bits fell out :)

Middle of one pre-cat had blown out and wedged in a bend near the bottom of the manifold.

It's not just s/c cars, pre-cats have been known to break up on standard cars too.

What does this actually involve?    Is something fitted in there place?

Would the car still pass an mot?  If so what do they do in the first place?

Thanks for your help guys. As you can tell i've no idea what these things are but I am having s/c fitted and want to get it right first time. Without car back and forth to the garage 

Adie

better to have them taken out b 4 you fit s/c or at the same time as fitting the s/c :D

What does this actually involve?     Is something fitted in there place?

Would the car still pass an mot?   If so what do they do in the first place?

Adie

better to have them taken out b 4 you fit s/c or at the same time as fitting the s/c :D

Ok Gord looks like i'll have some more work for you then mate. Can this all still be done in one day? £435 all in wasn't it ? :whistling:

Dyno run was down on power. Then with manifold off, shook it and bits fell out :)

Middle of one pre-cat had blown out and wedged in a bend near the bottom of the manifold.

It's not just s/c cars, pre-cats have been known to break up on standard cars too.

thanks tony

as for 285 price..  Tdi..id like a word please..  you remeber how much you charged me......please explain why it was more expensive..... :huh:

My thoughts as well..............think my bill showed the sum of £480 :sick:

£480 is that for just taking the pre-cats out dave

Not sure .... the bills not that easy to decypher.

Think it was though as the labour appears elsewhere...........

as for 285 price..  Tdi..id like a word please..  you remeber how much you charged me......please explain why it was more expensive..... :huh:

Guys

I've quoted from the TDI website. If you look under Supercharger Options about half way down the page you will see............

"*Reccomended* Dual de-cat on manifold £378.00. Please note price is based on vehicle already being fitted with a supercharger. If vehicle is being supercharged at the same time the price is reduced down to approximately £285.00"

Must say it seems a lot for what is effectively a "cut and shut" on the pipes.

Will be talking to Mark on Monday as, how can you offer a fitted price when TTE say the pre-cats should be removed/replaced? I'm having serious doubts now about going ahead with this.

Regards

Mike Roberts

Guys

I've quoted from the TDI website. If you look under Supercharger Options about half way down the page you will see............

"*Reccomended* Dual de-cat on manifold £378.00. Please note price is based on vehicle already being fitted with a supercharger. If vehicle is being supercharged at the same time the price is reduced down to approximately £285.00"

Must say it seems a lot for what is effectively a "cut and shut" on the pipes.

Will be talking to Mark on Monday as, how can you offer a fitted price when TTE say the pre-cats should be removed/replaced? I'm having serious doubts now about going ahead with this.

Regards

Mike Roberts

just get the pre-cats removed and you will be ok :D but shop around for the right price as £285 is ott. :D

yep i agree with most,, i had mine removed after about 2/3 months.

the car will be more responsive,

If you leave them in you MAY run the risk of them melting...

:unsure: Our prices are on our web site. It's a bit cheaper if the precats are done at the same time as the supercharger tho