Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There are a few importers bringing in Harriers. The price looks good at first until you find out most only have the smaller engine.

The 2.4 engine is a 160bhp 4 cylinder. The gearbox is a 4 speed compared to the 5 speed in the series II RX300.

It is available in both 2WD and 4WD so you should make sure you know which it is.

Equipment levels are lower than the UK models and I would say resale values will be lower, especially as the importers price them just under UK RX300 prices even though they cost a lot less to import.

Have a look at the steering wheel, still badged as a Toyota!

Wouldn't touch them wuth a barge pole.

That's because it costs over £200 for a replacement airbag which is the only way of changing the badge.

Don't think they can advertise it as a Lexus - it is a Toyota Harrier.

I have just emailed them to ask whether they are are "real" Lexus car or not.

Of course - we know they aren't. ;)

lets see how honest they are?

My email to the address shown on their site.

Hi,

Are the cars advertised on your website as a Lexus RX240 genuine Lexus cars, as the lexus.co.uk website does not list a RX240 model?

• 3 weeks later...
The dealer has replied that they are imported Toyotas, rebadged as Lexus.

They seem to think that this is all Lexus do - import a toyota and change the badges.

Steer clear - unless you want to pay 26k for a Singapore Toyota Harrier

Thanks to all that replied - as usual when something seems to good to be true, it usually is!

I have just emailed them to ask whether they are are "real" Lexus car or not.

Of course - we know they aren't.  ;)

lets see how honest they are?

My email to the address shown on their site.

Hi,

Are the cars advertised on your website as a Lexus RX240 genuine Lexus cars, as the lexus.co.uk website does not list a RX240 model?

You know they won't reply!! :lol:

Have a look at the steering wheel, still badged as a Toyota!

Wouldn't touch them wuth a barge pole.

Hi

Can you explain the mechanical differences between a real rx300 and the toyota 2.4 version.

The smaller engine is attractive to me as insurance prices in ireland are so high for young men here!!

My local Lexus dealer will service a toyota model but he was unsure about availability of parts etc.

Thanks

Ronan

To be honest Ronan, the fact it is an import will probably mean the insurance will be higher than the larger engined UK spec model ;)

Thanks

I think insurers in ireland hammer import sports cars and thief attractive civics etc

and are not to bad on standard models. But if are parts hard to find - this ups the insurance too.

The purchase price is considerably lower, which is also attractive but is it worth the risk??

Are parts easily got and is it a much inferior vehicle?

Whilst his may look like a good deal you must account for the extra depreciation of an import, the extra insurance costs and for the number of years you will be driving what is probably an inferior product compared to the UK version. The cost is £5k off the real thing but only you can decide if the extra cost are justified. If the choice is to buy the 240 or nothing then get it and enjoy the experience. :lol:

Whilst his may look like a good deal you must account for the extra depreciation of an import, the extra insurance costs and for the number of years you will be driving what is probably an inferior product compared to the UK version. The cost is  £5k off the real thing but only you can decide if the extra cost are justified. If the choice is to buy the 240 or nothing then get it and enjoy the experience. :lol:

Thanks

direct import for Japan seems the only way I can afford this beautiful vehicle new. Can anyone recommend an exporter who you have dealt with that is honourable and established as trustworthy,

(Japan vehicles, batfa, ofuka??)

otherwise its the 2nd hand market for me and its slim pickings in Ireland

why restrict yourself to Ireland?

couldn't you come over, and drive it back?

there are several on the lexus web site, for substantially (£10k +) less than these guys want.

You would also get a "proper" lexus - the 3.0 litre engine, and a years warranty.

plus all the subsequent problems of insuring and selling on would not be an issue.

Whilst his may look like a good deal you must account for the extra depreciation of an import, the extra insurance costs and for the number of years you will be driving what is probably an inferior product compared to the UK version. The cost is  £5k off the real thing but only you can decide if the extra cost are justified. If the choice is to buy the 240 or nothing then get it and enjoy the experience. :lol:

Thanks

direct import for Japan seems the only way I can afford this beautiful vehicle new. Can anyone recommend an exporter who you have dealt with that is honourable and established as trustworthy,

(Japan vehicles, batfa, ofuka??)

I am alsothinking of importing a Harrier 2.4 from Factory in Japan. If you are interested we could do this together. Wha tis the price you have been offered. Arranging the freight back to the UK is not a problem as I used to work for a freight forwarding company and can put us in touch with a large reliable shipping agent, whoc handle delivery right up to UK Port.