Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Use Of Foglamps When There Is No Fog..aarrgghh!

Keith Bowler

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about these bulbs that claim to be brighter and give of the white or blue light are they legal as they are probaly to blame not the hids

depends on the make of the bulbs mate - don't they have to be 'E' marked?

that said - I had a set of PIAA extreme whites on my IS, and whilst they were much nicer than the standard bulbs - they where nice and white, and really good on motorways at night - they were not a patch on true HIDs.

Are you fed up with being blinded by boy racers driving with foglights in perfect visibility.

I for one am, does anyone know what the rules are here.

Seems like my local police force are too as it appears that you face a fixed penalty if you use them when there is no fog.

Guess I have answered my own question.

What are your views?

Don't know about GS, but in my IS handbook the wattage is same as dipped beam, so at least IS's don't dazzle anyone. That said I only use em when need to speed, oh yeh and when foggy as well. So thats all the time really.

Er sorry.

Are you fed up with being blinded by boy racers driving with foglights in perfect visibility.

I for one am, does anyone know what the rules are here.

Seems like my local police force are too as it appears that you face a fixed penalty if you use them when there is no fog.

Guess I have answered my own question.

What are your views?

Don't know about GS, but in my IS handbook the wattage is same as dipped beam, so at least IS's don't dazzle anyone. That said I only use em when need to speed, oh yeh and when foggy as well. So thats all the time really.

Er sorry.

As I said before, it is not about the power output from teh bulbs, it is the intensity!... eg:

It's not just about hte output of the lamps, you have to take into account the intensity of the light.

You dips have the same power output bulb maybe, but the light is spread across a larger area. The fogs are concentrated (focused) in a smaller area. Hence they are more powerfull for a given area they cover.

Get two maglite tourchs (samel size, bulb and batteries)

set one focused wide (large coverage of light (= normal headlights)

set one focused narrow (small coverage of light (= fog lights)

look into both at the same time (from a safe distance) and you will see one is brighter and more concentrated than the other.

Hope that helps explain it

i have to say i dont know what the problem is with fog lights. i only use mine in the fog and do get annoyed when peeps have theirs on for no reason. but they certainly dont blind you and has been said hid's are much more lethal for distracting/blinding you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links