Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Breitling Watches

jasons

Just saw this thread reappear!, and as I started it I'd just thought I'd say..

I bought a Brietling B1- the chunky one with hands and a digital bit- cost a fortune but justified it by having a nice fat tax refund! (oh yeah, and buying my wife a Tag so she didnt feel left out!)

To be honest I do actally prefer digital watches! I like the extra features they can provide such as word clock, timer, stopwatch, back light etc. Much nicer then a stanard analog watch. (I am abit of a gadget lover!)

I've been after a nice digital watch for ages that doesn't look too cheap when worn with a suit for a while but so far been unsucessful - None of the "prestige" brands seem to do digital watches.

I've got a Rado multifunction which is analogue until you press a button on the side when the digital display appears as if by magic on the black dial. They look awesome and understated when worn with a suit and are made from titanium and scratchproof ceramic material.

If anyones after something a bit different i'd highly recommend them, I got about £400 off list for a pair in Bahrain airport last year (I bought my wife a smaller Rado, which she loves). I don't wear mine all the time though, as although it's scratchproof it isn't Adzproof.

i have a brietling navigator.......it stays in the house

not sure if its this model but on one of the brietlings if you pull the bezel out to a certain position it emits a distress call on emergency frequencies top tip is if you get this one don't try it out or you will have a sea king helicopter hovering over your back yard but you will get a hefty bill too. Apparently if you use it in a real emergency brietling give you another watch too

top tip is if you get this one don't try it out or you will have a sea king helicopter hovering over your back yard but you will get a hefty bill too.

Please tell me you're speaking from experience. At least it's a cracking story to tell down the pub! :lol:

I do like the look of that Rado, though.

Si

top tip is if you get this one don't try it out or you will have a sea king helicopter hovering over your back yard but you will get a hefty bill too.

Please tell me you're speaking from experience. At least it's a cracking story to tell down the pub! :lol:

Si

nope not from experience although you would be dying to see if it was true wouldn't you but i assume you can't inadvertantly activate it

Si

nope not from experience although you would be dying to see if it was true wouldn't you but i assume you can't inadvertantly activate it

Yup that's true, saw the watch on telly, M&M I think.

IIRC you pull the winder hard and a long spring type thing extends to make an antenna that won't go back in hence the new watch.

Bit :offtopic: but reminds me of the bloke in Glasgow that stole a distress beacon off an oil platform, it activates when turned up-side down in the water when it floats. Had on top of the wardrobe at home and his Mrs decided to dust up there and put it back the wrong way up. The place was swarming with helicopters till they figured out the signal was coming from his house :D

I have a Blackbird in stainless steel and an Avenger in titanium.

Loads classier than Rolex!

Good thread this as I have spent as much in the last fifteen years buying and selling watches as I have cars. As with everything in life beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To try and compare a Rolex to a Breitling is not really fair. One is a decent quality brand, mainly producing chronograph watches mostly using as a base the Valjoux 7750 movement. This is the stock (ETA) chronograph ebauche used by dozens of mainline and second line watch manufacturers. The best of them, such as IWC and Panerai take this basic ebauche and very highly modify it to a degree that can make it almost unrecognisable from its original. Breitling do a certain amount of modification but not as much as some others. Rolex on the other hand started to make their own chrongraph movement a few years ago and it is manufactured by them and used exclusively by them in their Cosmograph Daytona model. The original "Paul Newman" Daytona used a modified version of the Zenith El Primero movement. All Rolex movements and cases are now manufactured in-house and all are submitted to the Swiss institute to be chronometer graded. Having said that I would not put Rolex in the top 5 watch makers and some would struggle to give them a top ten rating. Their movements are not in the same class as those from Patek Phillipe, Jaeger le Coultre, A Lange & Sohne, Blancpain, Breguet, Chopard etc. As for digital "watches" they are, practically by default, quartz powered and would not be considered as a proper watch by the horology sect. Still, what do they know, I have owned and loved quite a few quartz watches including a Breitling Aerospace but I lost a lot of money on it when I sold it on and these days would not pay more than £100 for a non mechanical watch.

Sorry to be a bit long winded but I get carried away with this subject at times.

To be honest I do actally prefer digital watches! I like the extra features they can provide such as word clock, timer, stopwatch, back light etc. Much nicer then a stanard analog watch. (I am abit of a gadget lover!)

I've been after a nice digital watch for ages that doesn't look too cheap when worn with a suit for a while but so far been unsucessful - None of the "prestige" brands seem to do digital watches.  :o

You seen the Omega Speedmaster X-33 (aka "the Mars watch").

A bit big/ostentatious for some, but a nice piece of kit with all the extras you get on a digi (alarms, backlight etc) and the lcd can be turned off for a clean analogue look.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links