Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rejecting Insurance Offer

Guys,

Over 3 months after my LS400 was written off, Elephant have decided to pay up. I can't believe that they've offered just 2 grand for my car. I supplied them the full service history with all my receipts to show how much I had spent on it in 6 years, and the car had a full suspension overhaul worth £3,000 during 2004, to bring the ride and handling to factory specifications.

What I don't understand is that a few months before the car was written off, a van hit my door and front wing, and Norwich Union paid out £3,250 to get the car repaired. They obviously thought the car was worth £3,500. Why do Elephant value the car so differently?

Don't tell me it depreciated 1,500 quid in 4 months?

I haven't cashed the cheque and want to reject Elephant's offer. Any ideas on what I can say in order to persuade them to revalue my car?

Thanks..

i agree,

go to lexus and describe the car sho them all the receipts etc and if possible find some similar ls cars and prices so you can show to the insurance company.

dont accept their first offer, as long as you can provide good evidence about the value of your car then they should up their end.

finding cars the same age and spec and condition of yours is probably the best way but it will take some searching.

Glass's website is providing a single vehicle valuation for £2.95.

Get a valuation from them, maybe parkers etc - and (provided they match your expectations of course :winky: ) send them to your insurance company.

They cannot argue with figures from the likes of glass's and parkers - they're numbers are practically canon in the industry

Glass's website is providing a single vehicle valuation for £2.95.

Get a valuation from them, maybe parkers etc - and (provided they match your expectations of course :winky: ) send them to your insurance company.

They cannot argue with figures from the likes of glass's and parkers - they're numbers are practically canon in the industry

Cheers for the advice.

Glass won't value anything before a P, and I got a valuation from Parkers. £3,500 at dealer, £3,035 private sale in good condition. I'm sending them the cheque and the Parkers valuation certificate.

They are definitely trying to pull a fast one with me.

Cheers for the advice.

Glass won't value anything before a P, and I got a valuation from Parkers. £3,500 at dealer, £3,035 private sale in good condition.  I'm sending them the cheque and the Parkers valuation certificate.

They are definitely trying to pull a fast one with me.

no worries mate ;)

thats sounds good, send em the cheque back, copy of the cert, and letter explaining that your car was in perfect condition, and that you will only buy from a dealer as you tend to get a warranty (don't mention you probably can't get one from a dealer :blush: ).

also explain that any cheques for less than that amount will be automatically returned ;)

you can beat them mate - I fought my insurance company for three months, but I got the result I wanted. Keep on them!

I actually work for an insurance company, The whole point of insurance (going back to the days of marine insurance and lloyds brokers back in the day) is to put you back in the same financial postition you were in before you suffered the loss. no better or worse of. it's called Imdemnity ask Elephant if they have ever done there CII Training??? **** bunch of Circus animals!

If they play up say your gonna take them to the Financial Ombudsman, it will cost elephant money if you take them there, even if they are not in the wrong!!

Bison

To make things even worse, I've been asking them for months now to deliver my personal effects from inside the car, and they tell me the salvage folk say the boot was pretty much empty. However, just before the crash, the boot had all me gym kit in it, my heart rate monitor, some workshop tools, a 2000 page Lexus repair manual and some other stuff, all valued at probably three or four hundred quid. They've told me it's all gone missing, and they may be able to reimburse me if I can send in receipts! Sharks! I'm lucky I took my office laptop from the car the night of the crash!

Moral of the story: Next time you crash your car, empty your boot BEFORE you go to the hospital!

Will it cost me money to go to the ombudsman?

Well, I'm so glad I rejected the first offer. Elephant came back and valued the car at

£3,200, which is another £1,140 above their original valuation. Didn't even need to send anything in to them, just sent an argumentative email. Must be their tactics that they go in with a ridiculously low offer in the first place. Should I push for the full £3,500 that Parkers reckons it was worth at a dealer?