Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2000 Gs300 Cold Engine Noise

PebbleBeach

I am a new member. I have a 2000 Gs300 with 37K miles. I noticed that the engine is very noisy in the morning, the problem goes away after the engine is warm up. It is pretty cold here in the morning. But not freezing (Oregon, USA).

Also noticed the RPM is around 1400. This drops to about 500 after the engine is warm :driving: up.

Is this normal for a GS300? I would like to know if anybody has experience this and have any recommendations.

Thanks a lot

I am a new member. I have a 2000 Gs300 with 37K miles. I noticed that the engine is very noisy in the morning, the problem goes away after the engine is warm up. It is pretty cold here in the morning. But not freezing (Oregon, USA).

Also noticed the RPM is around 1400. This drops to about 500 after the engine is warm :driving:  up.

Is this normal for a GS300? I would like to know if anybody has experience this and have any recommendations.

Thanks a lot

When you say the engine is noisy, I assume you're talking about the higher revs - this is very normal as the engine is running as if "on choke" 'till it warms up.

Tony.

Not sure of your noise, but when i first start my 1997 MK1 GS300, i get a rattling noise for a couple of seconds, then it goes away, not sure if this is supposed to happen, my dads previous 1996 GS300 did it, dunno if its whilst the camshafts etc aren't lubricated, then oil flows and silence, anyone able to confirm if this is supposed to happen.

P.s doesn't happen when the engine is warm, just when its cold

Not sure of your noise, but when i first start my 1997 MK1 GS300, i get a rattling noise for a couple of seconds, then it goes away, not sure if this is supposed to happen, my dads previous 1996 GS300 did it, dunno if its whilst the camshafts etc aren't lubricated, then oil flows and silence, anyone able to confirm if this is supposed to happen.

P.s doesn't happen when the engine is warm, just when its cold

Doesn't sould quite right. What oil are you using and are you using standard Toyota oil filter?

Not sure what oil its using, its at the full mark since i've had it, and its done 55k miles with full lexus service history, last service was carried out around 50k miles, and seems to have a new oil filter

Edit: - which oil would you reccomend I use, i'm guessing it should be semi or fully synthetic, I used to use Castrol GTX magnatec in my Prelude, but I've not needed to put any oil in my lexus yet

• 3 months later...

Just bought a MKI with 93 on the clock. FLMDSH exept for last pre-sale service 1,000 ago at which some semi synthetic was put in. Mine makes this angry slap noise for a second or so when its been stood overnight, I assume while the oil gets pumped through the bits. I wondered if GTX Magnatec might do the trick. How many more folks get this problem? :yawn:

theorist, that sounds similar to the noise mine makes, its like theres no oil on the cams, or valves as it starts, then after a couple of seconds of ticking over its gone, my dads old one did the same thing

• 3 weeks later...

My old Lex rattled for a second on cold start up but i think that was down to going from zero to 1500 revs in such a short time. The starter on the other one was much faster as well. My latest Lex dosen't rattle at all but it spins slightly slower and longer than the other one and dosen't idle as high when cold.

Sorry about the massive delay in responding, my dad had his mk1 sport for 8 years, and had it from 27k miles, the noise was present right from around 68k to 160k, then he got rid of it, i still see it driving about, and there was nothing wrong with the car, except the snow took its toll on it and it ended up being smashed in down the drivers side, which is still evident if you look at the drivers side, it was written off, and someone bought it did it up, and its back in derby again of all places

I have start noise/click/knock or whatever it is and only at start up with my 93 GS300. Purchased at 63k and now have 78k. Paid for dealer checkover but of course they didn't hear it and said all is well. The best car I have ever owned. Always use a Toyota filter with 10w 30 oil since 5w 30 sounded the same. Tried STP oil treatment but nothing changed. Joined tonight just to add this for what it is worth.

Also noticed the RPM is around 1400. This drops to about 500 after the engine is warm :driving:  up.

Thanks a lot

Yes sir,

I have that same things going on too. I have the 2000 model as well, Platinum Series. Sounds like my car to a "T".

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the lex has hydraulic tappets (lifters for our transatlantic friends). If so they take a second or two after starting to "pump up" before coming silent. Listen to any VW start up for a perfect example, my wifes Lupo with 12,000 on the clock sounds like a diesel when it first starts.

Synthetic oil tends to be better for this as it is less viscous when cold.

• 1 year later...

hello,

ive got the same problem, the engine starts and sounds like a deisel and then it would go quiet after about 5 mins. The problem ive got now is that it sounds like a deisel all day, ive changed oil (Shell Helix plus), oil filter, even changed the timing belt, transmission oil and ive also added lucas oil to the engine oil.

there has been no change :unsure:

100 000 mileage done on engine. (but after oil change the engine did quite down for a week and now has returned to the diesel sound.)

another problem that just started was the engine somtimes is seeking ive been told i need another distributor cap (i have iridium spark plugs) and when im driving, after i take the foot off the pedal the rev counter falls below the 750 idle point and then rises back up to the 750 idle. :blink:

thanks for all the help

hello,

ive got the same problem, the engine starts and sounds like a deisel and then it would go quiet after about 5 mins. The problem ive got now is that it sounds like a deisel all day, ive changed oil (shell helix plus), oil filter, even changed the timing belt, transmission oil and ive also added lucas oil to the engine oil.

100 000 mileage done on engine. (but after oil change the engine did quite down for a week and now has returned to the diesel sound.)

another problem that just started was the engine somtimes is seeking ive been told i need another distributor cap (i have iridium spark plugs) and when im driving, after i take the foot off the pedal the rev counter falls below the 750 idle point and then rises back up to the 750 idle. :blink:

thanks for all the help

seeking? do you mean hunting as in the revs go up and down slightly?

i had a similar problem changed the leads and all is now well

hello,

ive got the same problem, the engine starts and sounds like a deisel and then it would go quiet after about 5 mins. The problem ive got now is that it sounds like a deisel all day, ive changed oil (shell helix plus), oil filter, even changed the timing belt, transmission oil and ive also added lucas oil to the engine oil.

thanks for all the help

seeking? do you mean hunting as in the revs go up and down slightly?

i had a similar problem changed the leads and all is now well

:blush: yes i meant hunting :lol: you know of any good makes on leads. im going to change dist cap, might aswell change leads.

oh yeah i forgot to mention mine is a L Reg gs300.

any suggestions to help rid me of the diesel sound from the engine (something might be worn out but thats my guess)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links