Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fed Up With Unsolicited Calls, Post, Email?

Fidgits

Now, I'm aware you can 'stop' the telesales by paying BT a fee, but i've heard it doesnt stop all of them...

Whereas, after a little searching around Trading Standards, it turns out, legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, makes it unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

This page has the following links to services which you can register to state you do not want to recieve unsolicited marketing - making it illegal for companies to do so.

(which you can tell them if they still call)

Register here to stop recieving unsolicted mail

Register here to stop recieving unsolicted calls

Register here to stop unsolicted emails (okay, im a little skeptical about this one too!)

Now, I'm aware you can 'stop' the telesales by paying BT a fee, but i've heard it doesnt stop all of them...

Whereas, after a little searching around Trading Standards, it turns out, legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, makes it unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

This page has the following links to services which you can register to state you do not want to recieve unsolicited marketing - making it illegal for companies to do so.

(which you can tell them if they still call)

Register here to stop recieving unsolicted mail

Register here to stop recieving unsolicted calls

Register here to stop unsolicted emails (okay, im a little skeptical about this one too!)

I registered with these just over a couple of years ago, and the reduction has been fantastic. Also, if you get some fly-by-nights who ring anyway, just tell them you're registered and they'll hang up before you can finish.

Doesnt seem to stop those companies who have offshore based operations (e.g Mobile Phone jobbies) or those companies who you are already a customer of, and have accepted to receive 'offers'.

I have registered a few years back, and I never get any mail unless it's a bill or something that I've definitely requested.

Regarding the phone, well, it doesn't stop them entirely. I'm ex-directory and on telephone preference service, and I got a call last year and asked them how they got my number. They claimed they employ random digit dialling whereby the computer dials numbers at random, until someone picks up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's illegal (yet).

I use the phone one for about the last 4 years works great, if I get an unsolicited call I ask their name and comapny first then tell them did they know they are breaking the law ........... never had one phone back. It seems a lot of companied don't tell their telesales about it :(

Tried the mail one twice by filling in the Royal Mail paperwork, it asks you your interests about 6 pages of questions, I answer equivalent of no to everythin and have even phoned them to confirm they have the form. But it does not work.

Tried the electronic one & hope it works ............

Another one to add onto this is that if you get put onto a auto dialer you can call BT nuisance calls 0800 661 441 they will give you a number for another organization that allows you to leave a message with your number and name this will then get compiled into a opt out - the companies running the auto dialers should merge the data every 4 weeks and remove your number from there outbound campaigns.

I registered the company phones and fax with the TPS and FPS, and I dont get any unsolicited calls or faxes now.

If you get any, just ask them which company they are from, their name and then tell them you are TPS registered - they soon hang up - cos they can get a 5 grand fine for each call they make to a TPS registered number :lol:

I used to work for the largest auto dialler company in the world and have worked in b2b call centres.

Even if the companies are calling off shore, UK law still applies so they can still be fined

Just because you are TPS registered doesn't mean that every organisation is up to date with who is and is not on the latest list - not ever organisation subscribes to it - especially American owned companies.

Whenever you sign up for a new service, mobile phone, bank account, make sure all the boxes are ticked for not getting future marketing calls.

Random number dialling is illegal and companies can be proesectued for using such methods.

Outbound IVR's are also illegal. If a company launches a call they must make sure that there is a person, not recorded message, to connect to. If there is no-one available, the call must be dropped within 1 second - Kitchens Direct have recently been fined 5,000,000 for "silent calls".

I subscribe to caller id at 4 squid a quarter, if the number is witheld - I don't answer it, this has by far proved to be the best method for avoiding unwanted calls. There are times however I do answer them - especially when I have had a particularly bad day.

<snip>

Outbound IVR's are also illegal. If a company launches a call they must make sure that there is a person, not recorded message, to connect to. If there is no-one available, the call must be dropped within 1 second - Kitchens Direct have recently been fined 5,000,000 for "silent calls".

Guess what? I sent for a Moben brochure, Moben are in the same group as Kitchens Direct, guess who then started to get calls from a auto dialler at 11 at night, and no agent free ever to take the call and speak to me, so thats how I know about this subject.

F**king To$$ers

• 2 months later...

It takes between 4 and 6 weeks for your details to filter down to the companies.

In my experience we seem to get more after registering and then they seem to die down.

J