Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

well had the car a week, and must admit VERY impressed, but like i said earlier, id find faults with it :)

speedo and rev needles are black,

bulb gone on speedo dial (about 60 to 70 mph mark)

bulb gone on temp readout on AC

air bag light wont go out .

got a "small" Battery on any probs changing Battery over, alarm wise as ive only got the one key, no alarm fob.

i seem to have a bit missing from my arm rest, (cup holder or something)

clip cover off rear passengers grab handle,

more bothered about the needles, any one got a fix for this or is it new lex parts,

electronics back ground so i dont mind playing,

but the worst thing is , i cant find the damn book for it :), no history, not even a owners book . trying to trace this back. the way the car is mechanically it must have been looked after, as far as i know it was bought in london 02.1998 (strange it was made in (01.1996) then sold to toyota finacial services in 11.2004, i got told this tfc do reposessions. tried lex where it was origionally bough but they cant help sourcing history.

any ideas

Steve

speedo and rev needles are black, common problem and expensive to fix

bulb gone on speedo dial (about 60 to 70 mph mark)

bulb gone on temp readout on AC

air bag light wont go out .

got a "small" Battery on any probs changing Battery over, alarm wise as ive only got the one key, no alarm fob.no problems alarm wise with mine so u should be ok

i seem to have a bit missing from my arm rest, (cup holder or something) Cup holder slides out from armrest

clip cover off rear passengers grab handle,

more bothered about the needles, any one got a fix for this or is it new lex parts,

electronics back ground so i dont mind playing,

but the worst thing is , i cant find the damn book for it , no history, not even a owners book . trying to trace this back. the way the car is mechanically it must have been looked after, as far as i know it was bought in london 02.1998 (strange it was made in (01.1996) then sold to toyota finacial services in 11.2004, i got told this tfc do reposessions. tried lex where it was origionally bough but they cant help sourcing history.

any ideas

Has the car got any dealer names on the number plates if so try phoning them to source history etc ,any previous owners on log book you can phone ,if the car was bought in london try phoning the london lexus dealers to see if they have serviced it .did it have a tax disc when you bought it and if so what town was it taxed in as you could phone the lexus dealers in that town .all long shots but you never know

cheers for reply,

what makes the needles so expensive?, are they LED, bulb or made of a super space age very rare material :) i suppose there 12v driven. and if u take em off can u just slot a new one on?. as i seem to have a nack of finding breakers with the cars i own, so i nearly always get parts for em,

i have written a letter to the first owner for as much info as possible regarding the car and history, cant say anything really till that returns,

if not ill just have to buy a new book and that from lexus and forget the history, take it to lexus and get them to do a 100,000 full service on it and start from scratch so to speak

Steve

Mine came with no service history but I have found three Lexus stickers hidden at various locations in the engine bay listing the mileages at which the cambelt has been changed - up to 15,000 miles ago. Try on top of the cambelt cover or under the induction thing connected to the air filter housing.

Sure, these probably aren't as good as a stamp in a dealer book but they are better than nothing.

erm, sticker on cam belt said

changed on 18.02.00

at 46.320 miles, thats a bit low aint it ?

Steve

thought these were 100,000 miles jobbies

oh and no other marks just a plain white sticker

Someones probably gonna get in before me, but its 63,000 miles cambelt change on mk1 gs300's, might be 60k, may be corrected on this.

46k is a little low, but its supposed to be 63k miles, or 4 or 5 years since new or something, mines done 55k miles now, 2 previous owners full lexus service history, and the cambelt was changed at the 47k service

I don't believe Lexus specified a time period for the cambelt change in the UK. Just around every 60k miles (63k on 9,000 mile service schedule, 60k on 10,000 mile service schedule) up to the year 2000. Then it is every 100k miles.

If the belt breaks it doesn't damage the engine so no real need to replace early, maybe something like a water pump needed replacing so you might as well replace the belt at the same time, or the dealer recommended a belt change due to age even though it's not in the service schedule.

erm, sticker on cam belt said

changed on 18.02.00

at 46.320 miles, thats a bit low aint it ?

Steve

thought these were 100,000 miles jobbies

oh and no other marks just a plain white sticker

Ryo

Have you tried Lexus for sourcing history.

When I was looking for my GS I went to Lexus Bromley with three reg nos of cars I was interested in to check their history was valid and they were most helpful.

Fortunately for me this revealed that the one I really wanted to buy had been clocked.

My experience has shown that most owners do use main dealers.

Colin

I too understand the straight six is a 'non interference' engine unlike the 'V' configurations but I had a staight 5 cylinder staight Audi which sufferred valve damage when the cambelt broke.

It's nothing to do with a straight or v engine just how it has been designed. Nearly all Toyota engines are non interference, 4 cylinders, i6, V6 and V8 (not the 4.7 V8). The timing belts Toyota use are also strong and it's rare for one to fail before the change interval or a long time past it.

Nearly all Honda, Nissan, VW, Audi engines are interference. My old boss had a cambelt fail on his Audi A4 after only 28,000 milies - under half the change interval and did a lot of damage!

traced car history to london dealers, then from there the trail ends, they dont know where it had any services done, to be honest i dont think they wanted to help as the email i replied was very short and to the point. , i am awaiting a reply to my letter to the previous owner regarding history and if that fails ishall contact "toyota financial services" you never know might come up with some thing, and if that fails , my service history starts at 100.000 miles :)

and if that fails , my service history starts at 100.000 miles :)

Well that's the running in period done! :driving:

Mines got over 110,000 on the clock now and purr's like new.

The first owner was the local dealer, who had it as a demonstrator for about 3 months, the next guy had it until 58,000 miles and I've had it for just over 2 years now.

The previous owner had used a small independent garage once the Lexus warranty ran out and up until the last service I used him too. He was very good and did an "old fashioned" through job and was resonable on his costs. I'm not working in that part of the world now and my cousin is servicing it. So it's got plenty of stamps though only the first few are Lexus. Your may be the same so the odds of finding the service history could be very remote.

Good luck and enjoy.

MAC

well i think ive given up on the service history bit, the guy i bought it off cant be be bothered to reply to my letter, my history starts here., no point me taking it to lexus now for history might as just do it myself,

changed oil and oil filter and air filter (air was BLACK) other day bought some plugs (after lex charges me 200£ for changing plugs) doing that myself

getting 140 miles to 1/2 a tank that sound about right ?. and im driving like an old fart.

Cheers

Steve

jeesh and i got told there quite good on fuel :)

i live 5 miles from work also, but i work nights so no traffic, and i still drive like an old fart (just done 100 miles to just above 1/4 tank) if it does same as my mk3 supra is be happy