Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chipped

uncle_rob

Can  you get the IS200 chippped?  If so what is the performance increase, extra wear on engine, expense etc?  Is it worth it?

As far is I know naturally aspirated engines usually get very small gains ( if any )from chipping especially jap cars because the engine mapping is usually done well in the first place. The only time you may need to re-map an IS200 is to allow for other mods ie Induction and exhaust.

The chip adverts seen in car mags are usually for German turbo engines...

i read the forum post about the replacement ECU option. a company claimed you could just remove and replace your ECU with their one pre programmed and get a nice increase.

One of the members tried it and couldnt get the new one to work, despite those that sold it to him claiming it was for his car it turned out it isnt possible to replace the ECU.

piggyback options though have been known to work.

if your looking to improve 'performance', I would reccomend an aftermarket exhaust, such as a HKS unit.. you will find that will improve responsiveness and reduce the flat spots..

after that, perhaps an induction kit - only then would you really gain anything from having a 'piggy back' ECU, which could optimise the settings for your modifications.

There are no 'superchips' available, and infact, the only chip you will find will be one of those 'eBay resistance chips', which in fact is a 0.1p resistor that fools the engine and is as much use as a chocolate teapot, and probably just as messy ;)

I have not seen or heard of one being "chipped" successfully, but we have been using a piggy back ecu's to optimise the fuel and ignition parameters which does work well.

Does this work on a standard car or is it in conjunction with other mods? If so what kind of gains do you get??? :yawn:

well, it will work on a standard car, but expect gains in the region of 1-2bhp... not really worth it. They are more use for making the most out of other modifications..

considering it costs about £550 - for that you could get a back box which will release somewhere from 4-8bhp (depending on which one) and you'll have enough change for a set of lowering springs to make your car go around corners faster too!

(I would have said induction, but i havent got a clue how much they are).

dont forget that the oem ecu has open and closed loops. meaning that below 3.5k rpm the ecu is closed loop and so any chip you use will not work below that rev range as the oem ecu simply relearns whatever input its given..

so only after 3.5k will the addition of a chip make any diff when the oem ecu goes open loop..

the chips for the IS, will only lend themselves to about 5horses extra by themselves which you wont even notice..

well, it will work on a standard car, but expect gains in the region of 1-2bhp... not really worth it. They are more use for making the most out of other modifications..

considering it costs about £550 - for that you could get a back box which will release somewhere from 4-8bhp (depending on which one) and you'll have enough change for a set of lowering springs to make your car go around corners faster too!

(I would have said induction, but i havent got a clue how much they are).

Yeah thought so. Would rather spend money on tinting the windows and the lowering springs at the moment with a back box to follow. Thats of course if I ever have money again with a 10 week old baby money pit. Tinting the windows rather than buying cartoon sun blinds.....

I'd be careful with the tints, the police come down hard with the front side window tints at the moment, plus you do need to tell your insurance company...

Keep an eye in Buy & sell, the HKS zorsts come up quite often, and go for about £200 a pop, which is about 1/2 price of new..

The same goes for springs...

It can be a nice cheap way of modding, and you know a club member isnt going to rip you off...

if your looking to improve 'performance', I would reccomend an aftermarket exhaust, such as a HKS unit.. you will find that will improve responsiveness and reduce the flat spots..

after that, perhaps an induction kit - only then would you really gain anything from having a 'piggy back' ECU, which could optimise the settings for your modifications.

There are no 'superchips' available, and infact, the only chip you will find will be one of those 'ebay resistance chips', which in fact is a 0.1p resistor that fools the engine and is as much use as a chocolate teapot, and probably just as messy ;)

So how does a Piggy back ecu work, and are they cost efficient and worth it? If it is just an ecu, i assume it would have no insurance costs?

piggy back ecu, intercept engine signals and alter them to give a different signal to the OEM ecu, thereby fooling it to make adjustments outside of its programmed perameters.

are they worth it............yes coupled with other modifications.

do you need to tell the insurance.......of course