Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i have a front pair of p4000

they need to be replaced soon.

any thoughts on what to get. ?

grip & low noise is more important than wear.

the p4000 seem quite noisey .

back pair are p6000 but they have lots of tread at present.

the spare is a dunlop z8 & is new.

thanks

Robin....

Hello Mate

I have just put two Goodyear Eagle F1 GS3D's on the rear of mine, very impressed with them, I got them off www.blackcircles.com.

I also have a introduce a friend voucher thingy for 5% off, if anybody is interested PM me.

Stuart

If you can still find them, put dunlop D8Zs on. They were designed specifically for the LS400 (as in low noise). Alternatively, you could try Dunlop SP Sport 01s, which are quietish, but not as quiet as D8Zs (although excellent grip).

A Goodyear Eagle F1 GS3D isn't noisy. But a SP9000 is.

It is very noisy compared to the LS OEM tyres, completely different category of tyre. One is a high performances sports tyre, where noise and comfort are an after thought, and the other is a low rolling-resistance cruising tyre where noise, economy and comfort are the primary factors in the design.

Possibly worth a look at Yokohama AVS dB.

D8z are grippy and quiet. You might want to consider tyre rotation too. If you wear them out evenly, you might get a discount if you buy a set at a time.

stick with Dunlop D8zs. I had dunlop sp300s fitted on the front when I bought mine they were terrible, the grip and noise levels were OK but the front of the car wandered all over the road.

After checking the alignment was ok the garage suggested swaping the fronts for the rears which were D8zs.

What a difference, the car is now stable without wander at any speed and they make less noise. If possible try to get the ones made in japan not europe judging by other posts they are the prefered choice.

shame about the cost of the alignment check!! :angry:

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have an LS400 with the handling pack and the tyres seem to be a rare size? ie they are 245/50/17 and when I do a search on various online tyre places it only comes up with one tyre type ie Pirelli Pzero Assimetrico.

Does anyone know if any other manufacturer does this size. I'm not due for any yet but its only a matters of time and I didn't really want to pay £180 per tyre!

I have recently changed to Yokohama dB550 on my LS400 Mk4. Very good grip and pretty quiet. Dunlop D8Z (Japanese) was OE on the car - but these are an ancient design and now becoming v difficult to find. Also i found the handling on D8Z way too floaty.

I had Conti premier contact before, excellent fuel economy 32.5 mpg tank avg best, long tread life but dreadful dry cornering grip (prob all due to a hard compound and low rolling resistance). The Contis were balanced countless times, never seemed right, probably because they weren't round in the first place !! Have also tried new P7s which were dreadfully noisy and i changed soon after buying.

Best thing is to stick with symmetrical pattern tyres like the D8Z and Yoko db550.

Even with the quiet new Yoko's I still wish my car was quieter as i drive high mileages.

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned in my earlier post, I have just acquired the 1999 LS400 with the Dynamic Handling Pack that ajones1722 refers to in his Feb 8 post above. That time for new tyres has come sooner than you might have thought! The RAC man spotted that one of the tyres was at the legal limit, and the (excellent) dealers I have bought from - ADG Sevenoaks - have agreed to pick that up.

But I should really have looked closer at the others because they surely can't be too far behind and anyway I'm not too keen on two rear tyres of very different age.

So I could be looking for suitable tyres, presently has Pirelli Pzero Assimetrico on 245/50/17. Are they good tyres, can they be found cheaper than the rather frightening £180 mentioned, are there alternatives worth considering?

Any advice will be welcome!

Thanks

Chris

thanks

Robin....

the P6000 (j) is the one... but make sure you get the (j) model

thanks

Robin....

whats the J signify ?

thanks

Robin....

whats the J signify ?

"Jaguar", the particular needs for jaguar required an up rated tyre side wall to counter the associated forces generated by a heavy powerful car, but the P6000 style stayed in keeping with an "executive" tyre, the "j" is ideal for the lex since the extra ply in the tyre side wall denies a lateral force called "slip angle" so cornering and steering responce is increased, more importantly the 6000 does not tram line..