Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nav Vulnerable To Viruses

This isn't the Nav that's vulnerable (supposedly) it's the ECU operating system

I am very, very skeptical about this.

a virus that can run on a phone and ECU platform?

could buy that a virus can travel from phone to phone (maybe wiping out phonebooks say) - or even to the car kit (if that was of the same platform).

But not from phone to ECU

I am very, very skeptical about this.

a virus that can run on a phone and ECU platform?

could buy that a virus can travel from phone to phone (maybe wiping out phonebooks say) - or even to the car kit (if that was of the same platform).

But not from phone to ECU

Hey - don't be too sceptical Matt. It would only take that guy from Independence Day an hour tops. Look what he did to the Alien Mothership.....

Nah. I think it's Goldielocks too.

For someone to be able to do this the sat nav system would first have to be in add new phone mode and then know the 4 digit code. Only then would they be able to using the Bluetooth communication get a virus into the system.

Symbian S60 phones are now coming under attack through viruses. The simple advice here is not to accept anything via Bluetooth from anyone you don't know.

br

D

A friend of mine with a Bluetooth Nokia Symbian phone (Nokia 7610) got infected with a bad virus one night at the pub.

He got an authentication message where the device was identifying itself as "HOTGIRL_PIN_1234". So the phone displayed something like "Do you wish to allow "HOTGIRL_PIN_1234" to connect? (The clever thing here is that an easy PIN is displayed in the device name so once the recipent accepts, they know which PIN to enter)

Once he accepted the phone got infected with a Symbian virus which went through his phonebook and randomly sent SMS messages + the phone itself started scanning other phones over Bluetooth to infect them! The phone became unusable as the CPU was being used at it's limits therefore he could hardly make calls.

A friend of mine with a Bluetooth Nokia Symbian phone (Nokia 7610) got infected with a bad virus one night at the pub.

He got an authentication message where the device was identifying itself as "HOTGIRL_PIN_1234". So the phone displayed something like "Do you wish to allow "HOTGIRL_PIN_1234" to connect? (The clever thing here is that an easy PIN is displayed in the device name so once the recipent accepts, they know which PIN to enter)

Once he accepted the phone got infected with a Symbian virus which went through his phonebook and randomly sent SMS messages + the phone itself started scanning other phones over Bluetooth to infect them! The phone became unusable as the CPU was being used at it's limits therefore he could hardly make calls.

Why the hell would you accept the connection? Why even have Bluetooth enabled unless you are using it?

Why the hell would you accept the connection? Why even have Bluetooth enabled unless you are using it?

some people are simply too stupid to be allowed to posses technology Col :crybaby:

of course - there is a "hobby" known as "toothing", whereby people who wish casual s*x use Bluetooth like this to try and find other people, who are equally keen on casual s*x with completely strangers.

a virus that relies on stupidity and horniness to propogate - :tsktsk: - we're all doomed!!

Hey - don't be too sceptical Matt.  It would only take that guy from Independence Day an hour tops. Look what he did to the Alien Mothership.....

Nah. I think it's Goldielocks too.

your right!

lemme see if we can knock one up on my laptop.

/ runs SSH client ('cos all movie hackers have to use CLI :D )

/ enters commands

make matts_l33t_lexus_virus

building......

build complete

upload matts_l33t_lexus_virus

uploading.....

upload complete

/ all lexus base are belong to me muwahahahaha!!!

:lol::lol:

When our cars eventually start driving themselves, this will be a great way to steal them. Hack the sat nav, send it to your buyers co-ords, you never even touch the car. Ain't the future grand !

Ditto the man who asked why these fools have Bluetooth on, it kills batteries too quickly and therefore the planet (man).

Obviously, its daft to accept a Bluetooth invitation unless s*x is involved, however with the current Nokia and Lexus RX incar systems, they rely on Bluetooth to work. Unless you want to switch it off each time you leave the car and back on when you get in, it makes sense to have it active all the time.

Now which pub were we talking about? :tomato:

I do believe that some phones have they option to be invisible/hidden to others apart from the headsets that it has been paired to.

I have a Motorola A1000, which has that option.

Used a Nokia 6820 in the past which I am sure(60%) has that option

will check on that :hehe:

All in all people need to read their phone manuals

and not leave there Bluetooth on......... :ph34r:

I am currently at work and can find 6 phones with their Bluetooth on

Asked them why it was on, was informed that they always leave it on :ohmy:

Bottom line people need to be educated on Bluetooth :geek:

Education needed on virtually everything we do daily. :excl::excl:

Just a thot : How many of us read the manuals that come with any electronic gadgets that we buy

PMSL @ Matt - all your base :lol:

Haven't heard that for a long time!

Seriously though, why would anyone design a Bluetooth hands free kit that interfaces with the alarm and ECU - didn't they ever do security 101?

Even Microsoft accepted that sometimes you have to impact functionality to ensure security.......

Crazy stuff, at the end of the day though, the only computer system that is safe is one that is turned off, not connected to any network, has no connectivity and is locked away inside some impenetrable safe that no-one can break into - it had to happen one day.....

Maybe this is a joke but one day I wouldn't be surprised if this happens....

Anyway, what's toothing?

Like I'd take a picture of my **** and send it to random phones named after women in the pub - pah, that's just wrong that is, I mean, my camera phone doesn't even have a zoom on it :P

Check out Mobiluck for Symbian for those that want to try some toothing btw :whistling:

================================================

Edited following a complaint from another member - please watch the language Aido

Edited by Rodders_UK

Sami_R try and enjoy driving :driving: you new RX300 and stop looking for viruses :mat:

It will be a while yet before the cars get infected :crying:

Maybe in the next couple of years :unsure::ohmy: :shutit:

We all know that someone somewhere is writing a virus for cars but it will still be a while (as Matt M :geek: has demonstrated) :lol:

Let us Enjoy know before we start worrying

So Sami_R how is the RX :D

Thinking of upgrading to MK2 b4 the end of the year (maybe earlier) :shifty:

There are some interesting arguments taking place on this subject at the following URL:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005...ile_viru_1.html

Sami_R try and enjoy driving  :driving:  you new RX300 and stop looking for viruses  :mat:

:ph34r: Only the paranoid survive :ph34r:

So Sami_R how is the RX  :D

I love it. :P Feels so much better than any of the previous german cars I had.

• 2 weeks later...