Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help

jasper

since my car went in for it's 30k service I have been noticing white smoke coming out of the exhaust (more than usual). I gave someone a lift last night and noticed it again and left the engine running and went for a look, there was alot of white smoke coming out and there seemed to be an oily or black wet deposit in the pipe.

I am quite worried about this as I start a 2 month contract on Monday which involves alot of driving. Any ideas what it is or what to look for? as im not 2 clever around cars

since my car went in for it's 30k service I have been noticing white smoke coming out of the exhaust (more than usual). I gave someone a lift last night and noticed it again and left the engine running and went for a look, there was alot of white smoke coming out and there seemed to be an oily or black wet deposit in the pipe.

if it doesnt go away after a drive.and actually looks like smoke, coupled with the oily deposit, id say its more than condenstaion.

its very possible you have got a damaged valve seal, but i doubt it, seems strange that its started after the service

how does the cars power feel

I'd start here first b4 taking the head off to check if there is valve probs.

A compression test wont hurt either.

leakdown test will help aswell, as this will indicate ring damge and / or valve problems, aswell as head gasket problems.

compression test is only an indicator of cylinder problems

Use a compression test tool,readily available from Halfords.

Take out each spark plug,(one at a time) insert tool turn over for 5/10 secs take a reading (i dont know what the readings should be on a IS) if its below what it should be then that will be the cylinder that is leaking.

Oh and you have to disable the coil pack......when you turn it over the CAR MUST NOT START

Where are you as i have a tester ?

pete his car has just had a 30k service, im assuming the car is still under warrenty.......

as this problem has started since the service, i would take the car straight back. and get them to do compression and most importantly Leakdown tests

are you sure its not just white steam mate,mine throws off loads behind the car cause of the cold weather,saec when in trafic,just normal,the black could just be condensation dripping out of the zaust wetting the black carbon on its way making it look like oil,i would take it on a run and do some checks after that.prob normal.

im absolutely no expert at all, but mine does this every day on my 4 mile journey too work, so every few days i take her out for a good blast round the by pass that sort of thing, when i get back no smoke no condensation no nothing.

It sounds like the same thing mine does but still if its under warranty take it back doesnt cost a thing and gives peace of mind as well.

Nick

Thanx for your replies guys

I been out for a long drive and it seems quite similar to other cars in this area (burnley) I think besty may be right as it is always cold here and rains constantly. I will be doing a few hundred miles this week so if there is a problem it will go straight back to lexus