Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Standard Lexus Amplifier

Just wondered if anyone can clarify a few things for me please, as search hasn't come up with the exact info im after.

I'm considering buying a Kenwood ddx-7025 double din unit for my 2002 IS sport. I realise my car has a standard amplifier somewhere and have been told that I will have to get rid of it if i were to fit this unit. If I were to get rid of the standard amp, which speakers would it affect (ie, which speakers does the amp power).

Would it make a real difference if i didnt use it, or would the better kenwood unit make up for it. Could I not just replace the standard amp with an aftermarket one to power the affected speakers?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks for that. So am I right in thinking I could just replace the Lexus amp with an after market amp? So I would need an 8 channal amplifier??? Sorry but I dont really know anything about stereo's and amps and stuff.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks. :winky:

the amp controls the head unit.not the other way around in the Lexus system, it is an active system

the crossovers for the speakers are built into the amp

the ohm of the speakers isnt user friendly with aftermarket amps

If you were to add an aftermarket amp, you'd be aswell installing all your own speaker cables. The rear 6x9 speakers are actually four speakers, two woofers and two tweeters. The Woofers are 2 ohms, the tweeters are 4 ohms, so unless you had a suitable amp you would have problems driving them, not to mention as Matt mentioned, the Lexus amp has built in crossovers, running the speakers 'active' rather than passive. You would therefore need an amp which had the same features, have a head unit which had crossovers or use a seperate electronic crossover so that you only drove the woofer with the correct frequency band. The midbass and tweeters in the door are 4 ohms each, and are again run actively. You'd be aswell to consider replacing the 6x9s with aftermarket units instead too to get the best out of replacing the headunit and adding your own amps (presumably two four channels, as I have never seen an 8 channel amp).

There are a few of us going down this path. I have run my own cabling, and wiull be running two 8" subs in the rear deck hopefully, with a 3way active setup at the front. Fargo, RazRankin, Mr Singh & Brettster are a few of names to look out for, as these guys have a lot of expereince with in car audio

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful as usual. :winky: It seems a bit more involved than I thought to be honest. Thought it was just a case of swapping the amps but if new cables and new speakers may be required then I might give it a miss for the time being. I am happy with the sound of the standard set up, but wanted the kenwood unit for the built in dvd. Think I might try and add a screen, dvd player and tv tuner to the existing system then.

Cheers guys.

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful as usual. :winky:  It seems a bit more involved than I thought to be honest. Thought it was just a case of swapping the amps but if new cables and new speakers may be required then I might give it a miss for the time being. I am happy with the sound of the standard set up, but wanted the kenwood unit for the built in dvd. Think I might try and add a screen, dvd player and tv tuner to the existing system then.

Cheers guys.

Hi mate i once had this problem but mange to solve it by using a 6 channel amp and running the car speakers and of the 6x9's in the back wich consist of the woofer and tweeters only using one pair. Sounds quality cant tell the diffrence really xcept sounds much better than b4. Give ukanz a call he would be able to help you out for sure.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links