Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1993 Ls400 Key With Built In Remote C/l?

I have just discoved after having the car ages that there is a tiny button on my key, and in very small letters on the Key there are the wordslock/unlock door. Now i did not think my car had remote locking until i saw this, i mean to look at the key you would't think it was a remote fob,

Now it is not working I have tried it many times since finding out. The key doesn't look like it will come apart easily to replace a Battery etc, does anyone know how to get it working?

Bison :zee:

the key fob just pulls apart and snaps back together,i got the Battery for mine from the local jewellers ,think it was about 4 1/2 quid.BUT!!!! if its been dead for a long time u might have to get lexus to reprogram ithe key because it will have lost its memory

Andy

I know that there are some automotive locksmiths that will 'create' new keys by reading the chips on existing keys. I had one done for a Honda a couple of years ago in Canterbury and it cost me £25 when Honda wanted £200 to give me a new 'master key'. Sorry I neither have their address or phone no, but I do know it can be done.

Dave

I had the same thing when I got my LS400 a few weeks ago, even the guy I bought it off didn't know it had remote locking.like the previous guys said the key snaps open and you can get to the Battery. The remote will only work up to about 2 metres from the car, this is normal according to the manual.one beep confirms doors locked, two for unlocked.There are no flashing lights or "Get back you ba :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk: d" voices. Also on the left of the steering column the remote switch has to be set to on or it won't work. Hope this helps. There are some good sites on line that sell the batteries for £1 to £2 each.

Maybe we've got different keys mate. the little screw on my keys are on the opposite side to the lexus badge. The hole with the screw in might be a bit filled with crap. I had to clean mine up to get to the screw.

If there's no screw maybe it's different on different years, good luck. Let us know how you get on.

I got it open, there should have been a screw, it's missing? no where i can get one?

Now the bugger is open can't find anywhere that sells the batteries, Halfords ran out comet and currys don't do them that small. arggghhh i'm excited, i wanna have remote locking !!

Bison :zee:

• 18 years later...

Welcome to the Forum

there’s very few owners here with older Ls400s 

My 1991 car just has non-button keys I’m afraid ….. not sure why …… my earlier 92 car had those specific style keys 

Good luck finding a solution 

Do please tell us more about your car ……… where are you —— non UK ? 

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Welcome to the Forum

there’s very few owners here with older Ls400s 

My 1991 car just has non-button keys I’m afraid ….. not sure why …… my earlier 92 car had those specific style keys 

Good luck finding a solution 

Do please tell us more about your car ……… where are you —— non UK ? 

Malc 

Appreciate it! It’s a 1993 LS400, white and silver two tone with black interior, currently sitting at 144k miles, fully optioned. I’ve had the car for two years and just realized that I had a remote key haha, currently trying to figure out why it doesn’t work. Will ask my local Lexus dealer if I don’t end up figuring it out. Also west coast US, thanks for the warm welcome! 

Austin hi 

Do keep in touch here please 

there were so few Ls400s sold in the uk compared to the maybe million or so sold in the USA …… I’m thinking that with our older cars there might be a simpler source of essential spares more widely available …… that could be FedExd over

I’m thinking most owners here would be happy to link into that if it was possible ……. WhatsApp, email  whatever

Best wishes with your immediate issues

Malc  

• Like 1

Would this be the key its off my 1990 mark 1 and the Battery is available in the UK for about a dollar.

replace the Battery and you should be ok the programming is permanent unless it is messed  with losing power through a dead Battery is something I did a couple of times and it did not affect the operation of the remote when I replaced the Battery, which is a BR1216.

_B109065.JPG

_B109066.JPG

_B109067.JPG

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links