Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

90% electricals died while driving.... any clues???

While driving tonight, my 2000 GS400 90% of all the electricals just instantaneously DIED. The motor/throttle continued to run, but nothing electrical worked except hazard flashers and reading lights.

No dash, no turn signals, no NAV, no climate control, no stereo, no door locks, no windows (boy was that hot!). I couldn't tell if the headlights were functioning in Auto mode (one hour before sunset.)

After driving home, the tranny was electrically locked out from reverse or park, but it restarted in neutral after briefly shutting it off. Upon restart in a few seconds, electricals were still all dead.

After it sat for a few hours, it restarted and all electricals ran for about 10 seconds before completely shutting down again.

The 1-800-25LEXUS raodside service is now on their way to tow the thing away to the local Lexus dealer... any ideas on what happened?

I've only owned the car for two weeks, but I know these gremlins can occur at any time. I would be crying if I had bought it from a private owner without warranty!!!!

Doc Rings

San Diego, CA

Hi docrings.

I'll take a guess at this one, based on an identical experience with my Honda Accord.

The contacts the the ignition switch (where you insert the key) are failing. Everything which is ignition-switched stops working, leaving only the lights, starter motor, central locking but not much else.

The barrel is separate from the switch, so if it is that, you will not have to get new keys cut, just replace the contact unit.

Doc Rings,

My heart bleeds for you my friend. That is truly a scary proposition at best. Please let us know what happened to your vehicle. I know that GS's are very reliable, and this is a bit scary for me. I have a 99 GS-400 with 36,000 miles and NAVI, and 17inch wheels (non-chromed). You got your car from a local Lexus Dealer..I did not. I am familiar with all of the Lexus dealers in this area from Carlsbad to El Cajon. I have been to all of them at one time or other. I drive from La Mesa to Coronado every day to work and back. Other than the traffic at those hours, it is a pleasant drive. Maybe I should have bought a certified car, but I was able to get a great warranty form an aftermarket company that seems as good as the L:exus one. When I added in the price of this warranty $1700, it worked out about the same, but the miles are for 150,000 instead of 100,000 miles. I will let you know how the perform if I ever have a need for them.

Until then, good luck on the car, and please keep us posted on the problem...

GSEREP1

Well, here's the scoop:

After having the car towed to Kearney Mesa Lexus in San Diego (tow truck at the house within 30 minutes of calling Lexus roadside service.), it was fixed by noon the next day.

The ignition switch connector came loose, killing all those switched electricals (good call, Mike!!!!). They swapped out a new connector, and covered it under warranty.

The nice thing was that the car was such a newly certified car that they it wasn't in the Lexus certified database, but were willing to cover the repair even though it was outside the original 4 year warranty. Nice! Of course once I told them it was a new certified purchase, they seemed to like that!

There were a couple of greasy mechanic prints on the leather armrest, but they cleaned them up quickly when we pointed them out to them at pickup.

All is well with the world again, and hat's off to Kearney Mesa Lexus, Lexus Roadside assistance and Certified Car warranties!!!!!

Doc Rings

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links