Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Model Reports,esva-help

Ferdiekigg

I recently imported a 4wd Toyota harrier Model 1998 2.2ltr and its now packed in my garage.

I can't find a model report for it(Kevin at modelreports.com says it keeps failing the emissions,so they have given up on it) and my search across the UK reveals i can not find one.

I was told by someone at Dunton labalatories that basically when you are importing 1 unit you do not necessarily need a model report,an emissions test can be done and if it passes,you can use the data for ESVA.The cost is £350 per test,but no guarantee it will pass and the modifications to pass are not their responsibility.

Trying to export the car,im told im not even entitled to a refund of import duty and VAT-because I 'took a risk by importing a car without a model report'-although at the time the modelreports website had it as a report in progress.

Today while I was on the VOSA website,i saw some centres approved for ESVA testing to be in Hong Kong and Germany in addition to those in the UK-maybe someone there has a model report.

I desperately need help,anyone. My number is 079-6013-4085 or ferdiekigg@hotmail.com

Surely someone is in my situation or was in it.

Thanks

Ferdie

I can give some info, but I doubt it's going to be much help.

I am in exactly the same situation as you, but with a manual Altezza that keeps failing emmissons testing. Model Reports did not have a report available when it got into the country, so I've was trying to find other ways to get the car through ESVA.

You can pay for the car to have an individual emmissons and noise test at a few VOSA approved sites around the UK - the full list is on the VOSA website. I sent my car to MIRA for testing. The costs are:

Noise test £368 + VAT

Emissions test £525 + VAT

Administration fee £150 + VAT

and they are only responsible for testing the car - if it fails, they can do nothing to help.

It could be that if MR have given up testing the Harrier that the model will never pass the UK specs - I'm getting worried the same is true for the Altezza - mine has failed emmissons twice now.

Unless anybody knows otherwise, I thing the only options are:

- Add a customisable ECU to the car and have it remapped to optimise the emmissions, then put it back through testing (which it may still fail) - may cost £2000, and still not pass.

- Sell it on - I am informed that in Ireland there is no need for a car to pass ESVA, so at least it doesn't have to go back to Japan.

- Sit and wait and hope somebody gets one through ESVA in the future.

Sorry it's a bit bleak. If it helps you to feel better, at least there are 2 of us in the same situation!

Ian

An Altezza will pass the emmisions test if unmodified and working correctly

I thought that would be the case as the auto Altezzas have passed, but mine has failed twice with 2 different exhausts (admittedly only one of which was standard) and I've also heard Model Reports have had difficulties with several different cars.

Ian

According to AltezzaScott, the exhaust it came into the country was not original, but he put a standard one on, and it still failed. Other than that, as far as I know it's standard.

It worries me more that Model Reports are not getting cars to pass - they must be using cars that are known to be completely standard.

Ian

Well, it's a Qualitat version, so I suspect there are a few differences from the standard Altezza. However the emissons were double the acceptable level.

The irritating thing is that it passed the MOT emissons test with no problems, so maybe it's a only problem when the engine is cold (ESVA test is from cold and over 11kms of driving).

I was hoping that Model Reports would get a standard car through, and I could have the Qualitat bits taken off (at least as far as an SVA tester would recognise!) and get through without having to retest the car, but if they are having similar problems, maybe it's a problem with the fuel map on all manual Altezzas, and not just this individual car.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
I recently imported a 4wd Toyota harrier Model 1998 2.2ltr and its now packed in my garage.

More bad news for you, I'm afraid: as the harrier is 4wd, the emissions test is MUCH more expensive - GBP1500 ex VAT at MIRA. The vehicle may also need to be tested up to three times if it is a borderline pass, each time at additional cost. And because there are only a few facilities to do 4wd testing in the country, there's a bit of a wait... :(

It's not specific to Toyota/lexus, but I've written a fairly comprehensive blurb on model reports on the ClubVR4 forums here.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

re the Hong Kong model reports - I wouldn't hold your breath for that as I have just returned from living there and inquired about this. The main place listed (ETC HK Ltd) has a wrong telephone number listed so don't bother. When talking to the owner - he said he hasn't done a model report for ages and is a bit "rusty". He was helpful but not "helpful".

I'm now getting ready for the SVA test etc so I can get the vehicle (3.0 L Lexus RX300, '98) on the road in the UK. Whilst my vehicle has approved for use on HK roads (passed their EU spec emissions tests etc) I have no paperwork from the previous owner to support this. A sticker in the engine bay states it has passed but the company listed seems to have gone out of business!! Sods law!

If someone could give me some pointers for the SVA I'd be very grateful. In particular:

Q.1. After market reversing sensors have been added to aftermarket custom bumpers. Can I get these through or do I have to return the car to factory original condition?

Q.2. When registering the vehicle (all being well!) does testing certification for Harrier allow me to register it as Lexus 300 (as it is badged throughout as RX 300 & not Harrier)? Must all the paperwork be the same in other words?

Q.3. I want to set up my rear fog to operate using the dashboard tell-tale (not being used at present) instead of installing another switch? Can I hook all fogs (front & back) to the operate from factory fog switch on the headlight stalk?

Q.3 I also want to incorporate the rear fog into the light clusters (poss using one of reversing lights). Has anyone done this with RX ? Will that violate the SVA?

I've read so much sodding paperwork that it seems a bit of lottery in some cases even with Model reports.

Cheers,

Mac

:angry:

Q.1 You will be okay with the reversing sensors. Mine has them on.

Q.2 Don't know

Q.3 I changed my original rear light clusters to the newer (Lexus OEM )ones which incorporate the fog lights. Fogs work off the switch. ( When I got the car it was just fitted with a single fog light, Halfords type)

It was suffice for MOT standard but just looked ugly.

Really easy fix just change connectors.

My car (Aero Tourer 3 Ltr. 4 WD ) was imported brand new ( I am 2nd. owner ) So I cannott help with the paperwork side of things. It was serviced from new by Lexus Cardiff so I don't know if they helped in the SVA tests . I cannot contact the previous owner as he is in America.

It will stay registered as a Toyota Harrier NOT changed to Lexus RX300

Hope some of this helps.

Q.1 You will be okay with the reversing sensors. Mine has them on.

Q.2 Don't know

Q.3 I changed my original rear light clusters to the newer (Lexus OEM )ones which incorporate the fog lights. Fogs work off the switch. ( When I got the car it was just fitted with a single fog light, Halfords type)

It was suffice for MOT standard but just looked ugly.

Really easy fix just change connectors.

My car (Aero Tourer 3 Ltr. 4 WD ) was imported brand new ( I am 2nd. owner ) So I cannott help with the paperwork side of things. It was serviced from new by Lexus Cardiff so I don't know if they helped in the SVA tests . I cannot contact the previous owner as he is in America.

It will stay  registered as a Toyota Harrier NOT changed to Lexus RX300

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the info - very helpful. I've had a look at the wiring (as the translated Users Manual finally arrived in the post yesterday after a age!!). Mine doesn't have the rear fog option fitted as it has 2 reversing lights. I'm gonna try and switch it to a fog on one side instead. Just gotta get my brain around the wiring as I want it to follow the 'G' option that will work with the display light in the Meter Display. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Don't want any "halfords" danglers on the RX. (No offense Halfords - or "danglers"!!!).

Did you get the OEM clusters from manufacturer or 2ndary source? Just curious - theyu look cool in the pics.

Thanks for the Lexus vs Toyota info...just someone mentioned that I might potentially have problems if stopped for any reason and the car badging was different to the paperwork. Hence the inquiry.

Cheers,

Mac

:D

I got the rear light clusters from Lexus Manchester. £235 but I got 15% discount for LOC Gold membership taken off so around £200.

Having a different badge on the car won't make a legal difference to the logbook. So long as you don't alter the logbook. or the VIN plates.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hi-jack your site and topic but I was interested to read the difficulties you have been experiencing in trying to get your vehicle through the ESVA tests and get it registered. I own a Rover 620 SLi which was built in Cowley 96/97 and exported to Japan and registered there in April `97. The car was then re-exported to Cyprus in 2002 when I bought it under the duty free regulations that applied at that time. These regulations meant that each time I returned to the UK the car had to go into a bonded warehouse until I signed it back out on my return. In May 2004 Cyprus entered the EU and the duty free regs. changed, their Customs and Excise wanted £8000 for duty, registration and VAT. Because the car was not even worth that I decided to ship it to the UK and the vehicle duly arrived on 5th May 05.

At that time Rover went into Aministration and closed its doors so I was not able to get any data, paperwork etc. to assist in my registration, nor are there any model reports available. In contacting the VOSA regarding an SVA test they said that as the car did not have TYPE APPROVAL or a model report it would have to go to an independent test lab for a noise and emissions test. enquires into the costs showed that it would be in the region of £1300 to £2500 plus the transportation costs to Millbrook in Bedford.

As I could buy another secondhand Rover for that money, the car will be mothballed for the next 2 years so that an SVA test will not be necessary.

I thought I was the only one who had problems of this kind with an import so my sympathy is with you as I know the hoops they have you going through.

Hopefully you will get your pride and joy on the road soon.

ROVERMAN :driving: :mat: