Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

From Bmw To Lexus, Need Advice

Hello, this is my first post and I am hoping to get good feedback before my first lexus purchase. A little backdrop...I currently own a bmw 5 series which has been great. I decided to upgrade to the 740 (2000-2001 series for both price and body style). I really love this car but after doing my homework, i have come to the conclusion that it is nearly a ticking timebomb with engine service lights and other mechanical failures. This was very troublesome b/c I love the look, performance and sophistication of the car. Even if covered by warranty (extended), this car offers too much hassle factor b/c I hate going to the shop and dealing with the whole process. Upon this realization, i went to consumers report and did some research and found the Lexus LS series has incredible reliability records and comfort. I am not in love with the lines, though they are decent.

My question is this, I am not prepared to spend $60k+ on a new LS, so I am looking at 2001 430's and 2000 400's. The price drop between the two is huge (about $10-12k), so i am leaning toward the 2000 series. I know the engine improved, body style changed a bit, other...but is the 430 really worth the premium? What are the major differences?

Also, are these cars really that reliable? Consumers reports shows them to have an impeccable repair history. If I end up getting the 2000 series, which is about 5 years old and 45000 miles, what kind of problems should I expect (obviously some things will break at that age)?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, but the above questions are the first ones to come to mind. Thx in advance.

Yes they are that reliable.

I would try and test drive both the 400 and the 430 so you can make up your own mind. Personally I would have the 430, a major change over the MKIV LS400.

Worth posting on the US forums to get advise, UK doesn't have that many LS owners and you can get better advise about specifications (as they vary from country to country) and the price to pay etc.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums

Major changes I think on 430 include Standard fit Sat Nav, Air Suspension, bigger engine, 5 speed auto gearbox, improved security, rear massaging seats etc.

I bought a 2003 LS 430 and have to say it is a terrific car. The depreciation is so savage from new that I saved £23K off the list price by going second hand.

Hello, this is my first post and I am hoping to get good feedback before my first lexus purchase.  A little backdrop...I currently own a bmw 5 series which has been great.  I decided to upgrade to the 740 (2000-2001 series for both price and body style).  I really love this car but after doing my homework, i have come to the conclusion that it is nearly a ticking timebomb with engine service lights and other mechanical failures.  This was very troublesome b/c I love the look, performance and sophistication of the car.  Even if covered by warranty (extended), this car offers too much hassle factor b/c I hate going to the shop and dealing with the whole process.  Upon this realization, i went to consumers report and did some research and found the Lexus LS series has incredible reliability records and comfort.  I am not in love with the lines, though they are decent. 

My question is this, I am not prepared to spend $60k+ on a new LS, so I am looking at 2001 430's and 2000 400's.  The price drop between the two is huge (about $10-12k), so i am leaning toward the 2000 series.  I know the engine improved, body style changed a bit, other...but is the 430 really worth the premium?  What are the major differences?

Also, are these cars really that reliable?  Consumers reports shows them to have an impeccable repair history.  If I end up getting the 2000 series, which is about 5 years old and 45000 miles, what kind of problems should I expect (obviously some things will break at that age)? 

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, but the above questions are the first ones to come to mind.  Thx in advance.

my dads got a ls430 and he loves it and so did i when i had for the weekend!!!!

Major changes I think on 430 include Standard fit Sat Nav, Air Suspension, bigger engine, 5 speed auto gearbox, improved security, rear massaging seats etc.

The MKIV LS400 (1998-2000) also had 5 speed transmission, Standard Sat Nav and in some countries air suspension

Hi. I have a '93 LS400 with over 205000 miles on her. She is totally reliable. I Was to upgrade her to a 2002 LS430 but I prefer my styling and to be honest, it was like getting into the same car after spending £30k upgrading. I bought a flat instea :) :) :) :) :) d!!!!

I am finding it difficult to make my mind as well. Should I go for a BMW 7 series(1996 to 98) or a Lexus LS400? I had a M reg LS 400 in the past and never had any problems. I also had a M reg 730 and it was a very good car though it did give a few niggling problems. I thought that the BMW was a better drive and had a lot more options in it like the multi function steering wheel and a factory fitted telephone.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have had BMW and Jaguar cars but feel that the LS is by far the best of the best. The complete experience is way ahead of the competition. The LS is fast,comfortable, quiet and reliable.When I read the reports from some of the motoring press I wonder if they are driving the same car I am.They report the car as bland and boring or complain that it does not perform well on a track. I drive on the M27 where bland is quiet and refined, and the opportunity to burn rubber does not present itself.For me there is no choice to make, get the LS and feel like a king. Hope this did not feel like a rant.

All right I have decided on a LS400 instead of a BMW. I know that this info may be here somewhere but I could not find it. What are the mk 1,2,3,and 4 for LS. I mean what year would those be and are there great differences? Any info would be much appreciated as I am planning to buy a LS 400( 1994).

Hi. I have a '93 LS400 with over 205000 miles on her. She is totally reliable. I Was to upgrade her to a 2002 LS430 but I prefer my styling and to be honest, it was like getting into the same car after spending £30k upgrading. I bought a flat instea :)  :)  :)  :)  :) d!!!!

I have found a LS400 but without the full service history. Is this going to be a major problem? I was thinking of getting the RAC to do a full check. Can anyone give me any suggestions.

Thanks.