Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Blackberry Phones

TURNER

Hi All

Has anyone got or used any of these Blackberry phones and if so are they any good and which model is the best or a good standard model

how much are they going for and where are the best places to buy them from apart from eBay

or has anyone got a cheap one for sale with a colour screen for me to play about with if they are any good

Andy

My brother works for the Guardian as an IT Manager and he gets lots of phones/gadgets to test before the journo's get them.

He was round a couple of months ago with one- he said it was so crap he wouldnt even bother showing it to me!

If you're really desperate, PM me and I'll get my brother to drop you a mail.

J

I've got one, a 7230 with colour screen. For checking email on the move it is pretty much unbeatable, emails come through instantly and its easy to read them and reply. The Web Browser isn't bad either. I used a PocketPC before to read email and that was very awkward.

For using it as a phone it is a bit big, so I still have a separate mobile phone and only carry the Blackburry when I need to. The 7100 series looks much better in that respect but it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard.

As to cost, no idea sorry, work gave it to me.

I've got one, a 7230 with colour screen. For checking email on the move it is pretty much unbeatable, emails come through instantly and its easy to read them and reply. The Web Browser isn't bad either. I used a PocketPC before to read email and that was very awkward.

For using it as a phone it is a bit big, so I still have a separate mobile phone and only carry the Blackburry when I need to. The 7100 series looks much better in that respect but it doesn't have a qwerty keyboard.

As to cost, no idea sorry, work gave it to me.

As Zee knows, I set up the Blackberry service for our work - Ive had both the 7230 and 7100 ('Charm'). The former is a squarish thinnish block just slightly wider than a box of ciggies; this has a full querty kbd. It was primarily designed for email and calendar functions, with phone as a secondary function, and as such was a bit clunky.

The 7100 tries to address the clunkiness by being shaped more like a phone (albeit from the 80's) and swaps a full qwerty kbd for multi-press and predictive text on an 'enhanced' numeric keypad.

In terms of functionality - both are the 'same' and excellent for checking emails/writing quick replies. Document/attachment support is 'basic' though.

All the phone operators have them (except Orange I think), and you can get them from anywhere for 'free' to £279 depending on tariff. There are two options - a corporate solution which requires the IT dept to have the infrastructure set up, or a Web host solution (mostly for home/non-corp use) where you direct personal emails (inc hotmail and other webmail) through it to your BB.

You will have to subscribe to a Blackberry and/or data tariff from £5 a month typically.

Sumamry - if work is giving you one, or you can get one cheap, and dont want a micro phone, get one. Its a great converged device, but does sacrifice the functionality somewhat of individual devices.

Alternative would be something like a PDA with integral phone, like the XDA's or IPAQ 6150 - these are superb mini computers, with phone capability - again slightly too large if you just want a phone.

Microsoft and Nokia have just done a deal which is surprising as they were arch enemies not long ago, so you can expect some proper communication products coming though soon. At long last.

Proper communications?

From Microsoft?

Have I missed something...... :blink:

Microsoft and Nokia have just done a deal which is surprising as they were arch enemies not long ago, so you can expect some proper communication products coming though soon. At long last.

Proper communications?

From Microsoft?

I took it to mean that Nokia will be adopting normal email protocol and Windows, and Bill gets to spread the word through a decent hand set. Could be wrong tho :duh:

Proper communications?

From Microsoft?

I took it to mean that Nokia will be adopting normal email protocol and Windows, and Bill gets to spread the word through a decent hand set. Could be wrong tho :duh:

Mark - I was just taking the Michael! :D