Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Changing To Gs300 From.....

Have you had a chance to take any photos of your new 300 yet?

Let us know how your adjusting from a 400 to a 300.

Cheers chips.

No photos yet sorry! Got it on Sunday and its dark when I go work and dark when I get home :sad: so, this weekend for deffo.

In the meantime, observations........

The GS300 has been very disappointing in terms of torque. I know Ive come down from 280bhp 4 litres but I still thought a 3 litre straight 6 would be quick. It seems rev highly but the pull doesn't seem comensurate with engine revs. The best way I can describe it is like a slipping clutch on a manual box. It's the first 300 Ive driven so I can't be sure that its just the way they drive. Reading the forums I have suspected a knackered Torque Converter so I took it to lexus nottingham and to their credit they took it out on the road there and then but the mechanic seemed to thinkit was ok. when we got back he dipped the tranmission oil and he said it looked ok, maybe slightly discoloured but he said he'd seen alot worse. When I got home tonight , even though its 'F' cold and snowing I did that disconnect the Battery thing to reset the ECU's and the gearbox 'learnt' memory. Took it for a brief test drive in a blizzard and it didn't seem all that different. I'm not sure I left the Battery disconnected long enough (about 10 mins) as when I reconnected it all the radio stations were still tuned in, although the steering wheel position had been erased.

Its going in for a 'B' service on friday and also having the transmission oil flushed/changed so we'll see how things are after that,

On the plus side I feel the car handles very well despite other recent negative threads about the 300's handling. The 400 I had even with the dynamic handling pack was a bit scary round corners , it is a huge car though!

The fuel economy has been interesting too. So far I'm finding the 300 more thirsty than the 400 ! I've mentioned this previously but I drove from Nottingham to Sevenoaks in the 400 at 70mph on cruise and returned 31.5 overall. Same jouney back in the 300, again 70mph on cruise returned only 28 (this assumes that the computers on the 2 cars are accurate?). Looking at the official figures the 300 is only supposed to be marginally better than the 400 anyway, a great testament to the V8 lump.

The 400 is superbly quiet and smooth and no doubt I will return to one in years to come. The 300 styling is more 'me' really. Before I bought the 400 a friend said that it would age me. I guess he was right. That may sound 'shallow' to some?

It's true though, now I've had mine supercharged a while even this feels gutless, it's true like they say you get used to something and it feels gutless, I liked the GS430 as it was quick but very quiet and refined - kinda like the opposite of my car :lol:

Have you had a chance to take any photos of your new 300 yet?

Let us know how your adjusting from a 400 to a 300.

Cheers chips.

No photos yet sorry! Got it on Sunday and its dark when I go work and dark when I get home :sad: so, this weekend for deffo.

In the meantime, observations........

The GS300 has been very disappointing in terms of torque. I know Ive come down from 280bhp 4 litres but I still thought a 3 litre straight 6 would be quick. It seems rev highly but the pull doesn't seem comensurate with engine revs. The best way I can describe it is like a slipping clutch on a manual box. It's the first 300 Ive driven so I can't be sure that its just the way they drive. Reading the forums I have suspected a knackered Torque Converter so I took it to lexus nottingham and to their credit they took it out on the road there and then but the mechanic seemed to thinkit was ok. when we got back he dipped the tranmission oil and he said it looked ok, maybe slightly discoloured but he said he'd seen alot worse. When I got home tonight , even though its 'F' cold and snowing I did that disconnect the Battery thing to reset the ECU's and the gearbox 'learnt' memory. Took it for a brief test drive in a blizzard and it didn't seem all that different. I'm not sure I left the Battery disconnected long enough (about 10 mins) as when I reconnected it all the radio stations were still tuned in, although the steering wheel position had been erased.

Its going in for a 'B' service on friday and also having the transmission oil flushed/changed so we'll see how things are after that,

On the plus side I feel the car handles very well despite other recent negative threads about the 300's handling. The 400 I had even with the dynamic handling pack was a bit scary round corners , it is a huge car though!

The fuel economy has been interesting too. So far I'm finding the 300 more thirsty than the 400 ! I've mentioned this previously but I drove from Nottingham to Sevenoaks in the 400 at 70mph on cruise and returned 31.5 overall. Same jouney back in the 300, again 70mph on cruise returned only 28 (this assumes that the computers on the 2 cars are accurate?). Looking at the official figures the 300 is only supposed to be marginally better than the 400 anyway, a great testament to the V8 lump.

The 400 is superbly quiet and smooth and no doubt I will return to one in years to come. The 300 styling is more 'me' really. Before I bought the 400 a friend said that it would age me. I guess he was right. That may sound 'shallow' to some?

I take it the LS 400 you had was a series 4? if so thats the model i really want if i bought another LS 400(still trying to sale me mk1 LS400)...bit out my price range...

As to the quality of the ride,i can only comment on my import....ive found,like you the 300 is more `me`....alot more body control than my 400,think they did stiffen the later 400s up,found the mk1 LS400 alittle to soft mainly the back of the car....did have the car checked out and the springs/shocks are all fine.

As to the torque,the curb weight on my 300 is 1950kg so its a big old car...225bhp is a fair power output for a 3litre,its the weight thats killing it..

I know where your coming from the V8 does pull well on low rpm...

You will miss the extra torque of 2 more cylinders..

As to the fuel,again id say im getting better mpg,but cos of the turbos on mine the engine does`nt have to rev or work as hard,the turbo is in well below 2000rpm,so it feels like the V8 is upfront....

I think Lexus uk shot there self in the foot for not selling the twin turbo version of the gs300 in the uk....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links