Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

I swapped my RX for a new LS 4 weeks ago. It's everything I expected and more but everytime I get out of the car it gives me an electric shock.The RX never gave me any problems and I am wearing the same clothes. Has anyone got any suggestions to sort this. (Getting rid of the LS or replacing my complete wardrobe are not options)

Thanks in anticipation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have already contacted the dealer and the reply was the obvious one that this was new to them and I was the first person to comment on this shocking developement.

They have promised to contact the Lexus technical dep't and give me any feedback, I am not holding my breath (well I am, every time I get out of the car)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Some cars just do this :angry:

I had a one a few cars ago that only gave a shock after a run and not after it had stood for a while.

I had to train myself to be holding the door when my foot touched the floor. Soon became force of habit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just get someone else to get out first.

That's what I used to do with my Mrs when my Jaguar did it.

If you haven't got a Mrs pick up a tramp and then take them where you're going and make them get out first.

Problem solved.

sorry :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May sound a draft question but have you checked the souls of your shoes to see if you have got a pin or small nail/staple enbedded, this will cause a ground for static build up when you get out of the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swapped my RX for a new LS 4 weeks ago. It's everything I expected and more but everytime I get out of the car it gives me an electric shock.The RX never gave me any problems and I am wearing the same clothes. Has anyone got any suggestions to sort this. (Getting rid of the LS or replacing my complete wardrobe are not options)

  Thanks in anticipation.

the only way you can stop getting a shock when you get out of the car is to hold on to the metal part of the door or anywhere on the car before you put your foot onto the ground. I guarantee you will not get a shock as you are already holding something metal so the spark can't jump from finger to bodywork & making you squeel.. B) hope you can understand wot me is saying matey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow!! thanks for all the advice guys (and galls). No metal objects in shoes, wife far too smart to get out first, I think that tramps may smell a little too much for my sensitive nature, but love the basic idea of a fall guy (or gall).In the meantime I will try to grip some metal before my feet touch the ground and hope that the problem is solved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read a report many years ago which clearly stated that static electricity can dissipate through the tyres and as someone one already mentioned the rubber strips with the pointing arrow which was a brilliant money spinner for someone.

The fact of the matter is that it is you that is charged and when you touch the car you are allowing the static to jump from you to metal causing a shock.

Change your jumper shoes or socks that is more likely the cause.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is obviously some change in the upholstery of the vehicle - leather or natural products cause less but it depends how they have been treated. Also the steering wheel cover plays a major factor. I always get out with my hand on the frame now because of this. There are so many factors such as the carpet, type of fabrics/leathers/treatments, etc. I've not tried it but been told that mixing a teaspoon of liquid fabric-softener/pint of water into a spray bottle and spraying once a week does the trick.

Of course, it's your clothes that are the biggest factor. Drive around naked and I'll bet this won't happen (unless you are a very hairy perosn) as you won't generate the static. Due to the skin being quite conductive, it prevents the charge seperation.

The straps that are sold do conduct to earth and can work for some if the cause is borderline, but the vehicle is already earthed so generally these aren't useful. You are earthed through the tyres, contrary to popular belief. (as they are NOT just rubber insulators - there are many conductive components like steel, etc through them)

This is why you get the shock - as you touch the earthed vehicle, the static that has built up in your body as you get off the seat/rub shoes, etc. instantly discharges as you touch the metal of the car. (Known as the Faraday's Icepail Effect - your car is basically a Farady cage. Also why you are safer in your earthed cage during a thunderstorm)

By touching an earthed area such ignition barrel, body of car, etc. as you are creating the charge, prevents it from building up enough to discharge. This is why older or infirm people who have to grab the door frame as they get out of cars tend to not get static shocks.

Static is constantly building up as you are in your seat and being discharged, but the movement of getting out of the vehicle causes a massive potential difference with respect to the vehicle body.

You can wake up now. I've finished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, to sum up. The problem will go away if I drive naked wearing a pair of marigolds, accompanied by a tramp whilst trailing a rubber band behind me.Hope I can take my laptop into the asylum to keep in touch with you all,following my arrest.

In the meantime I now wonder if the air heated seats are the cause of my electifying experiences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe you could just have the arse flap cut away from your suit for some luxuary skin to seat contact but still look correctly dressed...

Id be carefull with the tramp tho, you dont want that hobo stick putting any holes in the seats or carpets.

So, to sum up. The problem will go away if I drive naked wearing a pair of marigolds, accompanied by a tramp whilst trailing a rubber band behind me.Hope I can take my laptop into the asylum to keep in touch with you all,following my arrest.

In the meantime I now wonder if the air heated seats are the cause of my electifying experiences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership