Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Timing Belt Change

imi

My timing belt is due for a change, will be getting it done a week on Sat, just a few question, apart from the timing belt :-

1: Is there any other belts that need changing?

2: What other things need changing on this service?

(Spark Plugs done on last service)

3:I am having the service done by my mate, he's done all the work on my car up to now and has changed the timing belt on a GS300 before, but not an IS, (Scorpion knows him)

It's just Dealer's are charging an ARM & a LEG for this.

Any help be appreciated.. thank you :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:- Timing Belt and rest of the service parts also been changed..

A word of notice tho!! The millage on my car is 98K and the timing belt is to be changed on 100K am i right? meaningi still had a 1k to go.. anyway the mechanic took the belt off only to re-lize it had several grazes down one side of the belt :blink::blink: checked everything else just incase it caught on a panel etc, but no marks anywhere.. Rang me up and told me the score!!

SO basically i was lucky to get it changed before it snapped!! and :tsktsk: up!!

i am sure another members car had theirs changed before the 100K mark with similar damage to their timing belt..

Cars nice n quiet again, had the gear oil changed too, so gear changes are smooth for now :hehe:

How much did it cost to get your timing belt changed?

well i didn't go to get it done from the dealers, my mate did the change for me..

Timing Belt (rest of belts are fine), Gearbox Oil, Engine Oil, change the engine coolant, Take off the front n rear anti roll bars, regrease and re-fit, check ball joints, check coilovers, check brakes.. £130.00 he supplied engine oil (duckamhs full syn) n gear box oil, i got the timing belt and oil filter from dealers, (engine coolant was free from due to them supplying the wrong timing belt!!) delares quote was trebble the price!

I would rather get my car serviced from this guy more than dealers after the last service i had from the dealers :tsktsk: ..

Imi, I had my timing belt changed just before 100k and it was also worn down one side. The cause was the bearings in the tensioner pulley were worn causing it to wobble very slightly. Get him to check this out. I think this is quite common for the tensioner pulley bearings to go about the 100k mark

Imi, I had my timing belt changed just before 100k and it was also worn down one side. The cause was the bearings in the tensioner pulley were worn causing it to wobble very slightly. Get him to check this out. I think this is quite common for the tensioner pulley bearings to go about the 100k mark

Thanks Jim, yep he checked all pulleys n bearings etc.. and was told everything is spot on! bit weird about the belt though!!

The altezza says change the timing belt at 100k KM.. which is about 62000 miles...

I find it strange that the is200 isn`t the same... ( i know it isn`t before anyone    says something!! lol)

different countries have different service schedules.

• 1 month later...

;) I had my belt changed about 5-6 months ago, but im starting to think they did not do it at all :angry: when i had the cover of today i could see that down one side of the belt it is worn :crybaby: its about 2-3cm long.............im going to go and see what they have to say about this ;) and if they did do it what els should they have changed when they did the belt :yawn: maybe i should have asked for the old belt and bits.........and that way i would know if it has been done.

I will be back to let you know how i get on........... ;)

who and where did you get it done from Marcus?

a Garage by me and they had not been open long.

Well i went back to them and the guy that did it is no longer working for them :crybaby: and when i ask if it had been done no one new any thing about it :angry: so it looks like i will have to have it done by some one els as im not have them :tsktsk:ssssss play around with my IS now its got the Turbo on it who know what they will do. ;)

how come that when something like this happens and when you go to the place to ask... "Sorry he doesn't work here no more" i think it's aload of bull...

anyway, hope you get it sorted out, as it will an expensive belt change if owt goes wrong with your belt...lol