Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Start Up Smoke

Zorlac

Hi everyone. My Aristo TT has been great fun so far. One concern though. I'm getting a puff of smoke (oily/white) on cold start up only. The rest of the time its ok. Any ideas? Overfuelling? Valve stem seals? Strange if it is 'cos its not a high miler.Maybe its just burning off oil left in the turbos? Or maybe I neeed to use a certain kind of oil? Heard these engines like semi synthetic.

Oh yeah there is another thing. Think my heater valve (engine bay near the windscreen wipers) is leaking water. Has anyone else had this problem?

Photos soon with my new (to me) TOMS split rim alloys. (Was no point in sending photos so far 'cos the car is factory standard!) Was thinking of subtly lowering the car. Has anyone done this?

Cheers,

Nick.

like supercharged says sounds like valve stem seals...

could also be if youve slightly over filled the engine with oil..

I wouldnt worry to much about the smoke as long as its not smoking while running.

As to the type of oil,i was told to use full synthetic.

i use valvoline synpower SAE 5w-40.

I only had my car a few weeks,ive not got any water leaks...touch wood.

Thanx for your input chaps. Yeah seems like it is valve stem seals, but I thought it strange because the engine is not a high miler. Also wouldn't it be smokey in traffic if it was valve stem seals? Does anyone know if it will damage the engine if it isn't fixed immediately? Anyone know a good mechanic with low overheads who would be up for doing this job!?

It wont damage the engine,if its only happening on start up then id put some money away for a rainy day when it will need to be fixed...

A bloke i used to work with used to put diesel oil in his petrol car,thought he was saving himself a few quid,told him at the time it will damage his valve seals...he learnt the hard way.. :blink:

When your driving up the road and its starting to smoke bad then id get it fixed...

When you switch the engine off say at night,all thats happening is over night some of the oil thats in the top of the engine is finding its way down the valves seals and all thats happening is on start up in the morning the oil is being burnt whats on top the pistons...

Theres a person i know who could do the job for a fair price,but hes down my way,here in bristol.

Hope ive been of help.

Cheers Chips.

Ha ha talk about false economy!

The previous owner of my car in the UK had it since '99. I wonder if using normal unleaded for all that time a opposed to the higher octane stuff had anything to do with the problem? (Unless he was putting diesel in it!)

Hey Chips was your Aristo the one that was for sale in Wales with the gold alloys? Hows the front lights doing? Mine ain't too bright. Bristol isn't that far from Harrow, and I've got some mates down there I need to visit. Next time you see your mechanic maybe you could ask him if he fancies fixing it, and if so how much for the job? Plus changing the timing belt and water pump while were at it (mite as well take the opportunity while its all apart!)

Cheers

-Nick.

Mines been pushing out a bit of oil on first start up, has been for just over 2 years that I've had the car, possibly been doing this before I had the car as well. Shouldn't panic just yet, mines has just clocked 100,500 miles.

I use normal unleaded in unitl I need to do any track runs then I run optimax.

Yes Nick my cars the one from wales,did you see it in autotrader?

Its not A1 condition but seems honest enough for the money.

Just had the cam and fan belt changed on my car today.

Took them nearly alday,cos the bolt holding the pulley on was hard to undo...

Garage said its the worst job they have had to do for along time..

As to the headlights,yea there alot brighter now,just got to try and get the drivers side adjusted as there both shining into the curb...

I will find out how much its going to cost to do your valve stem rubbers etc..

Cheers chips.

norkep is yours a '92? Mabye they put out a batch that are prone to doing this. I don't remeber from when I saw your car, is it lowered?

Don't know if these are prone or not Nick, lowered - only when I'm in it - :lol: will be getting her lowered soon, but only after I've had the 18" Alloy's fiiting, just waiting for the tyres to come down to a reasonable price. Got the ones for the front set, but the rears are a stupid price at the moment

Chips, yeah saw it on the trader. Looked like a good one at a fair price. Good call getting the cam belt done though. Hope you didn't get charged loads 'cos of that bolt. I guess they'll be ready for my one!

Norkep. It puts my mind at rest a bit that your one has been like it for ages and still going strong. Lookin forward to checking out your car on the 18's. I want to subtly lower mine but still keep a luxury ride.

Have you lot seen the illegal streetracer MK1 Aristo on Autotrader with 800 bhp! It looks insane. 15 grand though.

Right.....first off...

This is a ROUGH quote from Lexus and could take longer than quoted :ohmy::unsure:

To change the valve stem rubbers is a 12 hour job at there labour rate that would cost you £1200 :ohmy: or more..

So the labour at the garage i trust would be £360 or more...

Then theres the price of the new headgasket kit....could be as much as £250...

Unless its pouring smoke out when your driving along id leave it,the garage i use say the same...

The garage that changed my belts are quoting £150 labour to change both belts....cam+fan plus replace the water pump as well for that price.....thats just the labour,you get the belts and the waterpump...

Cheers chips.

Zorlac, the only thing you may need to do more often is to replace the spark plugs, I run mine with quad core - not cheap but gives me hassle free motoring, so far 2 years even with the smokey problem. Once every 2 months I remove the plugs and clean them and the pistons.