Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Microwave

GALLA_4

Hello All!

Weirdest thing happened today. I park my IS200 up the side of the house opposite a side window. Inside this side window is a microwave, and when you turn it on it sets off the alarm in the car :D

Anyone else any such experiences?

I guess if I wanna use the microwave I have to move the car in future :D

You may want to check the door on your microwave is nice and clean and the seals are not damaged. I wouldn't have thought there would be that much leakage on a fully working oven.

Don't fully functioning microwaves chuck out a shed loads of crap on the 2.4Ghz range anyway? Everytime we use ours it kills the cordless phones, tv sender and my wireless lan, good job it only takes one minute to cook a burger!!

You may want to check the door on your microwave is nice and clean and the seals are not damaged. I wouldn't have thought there would be that much leakage on a fully working oven.

Don't fully functioning microwaves chuck out a shed loads of crap on the 2.4Ghz range anyway? Everytime we use ours it kills the cordless phones, tv sender and my wireless lan, good job it only takes one minute to cook a burger!!

They cook on the 2.4Ghz range, ideally you don't want any leakage as you want that energy to heat what's in the oven not outside it - there are recommendations of the amount of leakage. As the oven gets old the leakage can increase.

Microwave ovens operating at 2450 MHz emit radiation with a wavelength of about 12 centimeters, and the holes in the mesh of the door are typically on the order of 1-2 millimeters in diameter. Since the holes are small compared to the wavelength of the microwaves, little radiation can leak out. There are also mesh screens on the sides of the oven cavity, one to protect the oven light while allowing it to shine into the cavity, the other to permit ventilation.

The FDA has set emission standards for new microwave ovens at a power density of 5 milliwatts per square centimeter at a distance of 5 centimeters from any point on the outer surface of the oven. Typical new ovens have a leakage of only 0.2 mW/cm2 at that distance—a tenth of the FDA standard. Dirt, mechanical abuse and everyday wear and tear can eventually reduce the effectiveness of the door seals, thus increasing leakage.

:whistling:

They cook on the 2.4Ghz range, ideally you don't want any leakage as you want that energy to heat what's in the oven not outside it - there are recommendations of the amount of leakage. As the oven gets old the leakage can increase.

Working hat on: Given the frequency and wattage, the propogation falls off sharpish, but aren't surprised that it sets off a car alarm.

Alarms are quite sensitive, and if a relatively small pressure wave can set it off, the microwave surely will.

I'd invest in a new microwave. Mine was £50 brand new :-)

I watched a program where they tried to cook something outside of the microwave

it was about a foot away from the open door and nothing happend

then he got 3 microwaves and nothing happened

then he took 15 microwaves and removed the magnatrons from them and pointed them directly at the food, eventually he got the food to cook

needless to say, the guy protected himself well by wrapping tin foil around his jacobs