Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tomtom,pda,snooper,road Angel Etc

pacemaker

help i've tied myself up in knots researching this topic

originally was going to buy road angel or snooper for gatso and laser

then read laser was a waste of time (bummer as alot of vans around here)

so thougth if that the case then combining satnav with gps and some softeware called checkpoint for camera detection which apparently is free off net and must be better than paying what i think is a rather expensive subscription

ok some questions

does roadangel tell you what speed limit you are approaching or in?

will tomtom/pda do same, or just camera locations?

is laser detection really a waste of time and money?

can you get an extension aerial for tomtom or pda allowing them to be located away from the screen,ie in console?

any other comments welcome

ORIGIN b2

tells you what speed

tells you the speed limit

tells you what direction you are going !!

warns you when you are exceeding limit

tells you a camera is approaching

has remote gps aerial

has remote lazer detector

now what was the question again :D

PDA for me....

Cheap ish £250 should get you one with car kit etc and all GPS bits and software

Will play music videos etc for when you get bored

Will get you too where you are going

Will warn you of all speed cameras same as origin etc

Can also warn you of burger kings hotels pretty much anything as well

Will update itself everytime you sync with PC so any POI ( Points Of Interest ) you put in yourself are loaded into the site and then back onto your PDA.

The software to allow tthis is POI warner available for download...cost is around £25 for the Warner and the speed camera info, you can then sync as much as you like for a year and then you can re sub the camera info for about £12 a year.

I think this is all correct......

Nick

ORIGIN b2

tells you what speed

tells you the speed limit

tells you what direction you are going !!

warns you when you are exceeding limit

tells you a camera is approaching

has remote gps aerial

has remote lazer detector

now what was the question again  :D

i agree but unless i'm reading everything wrong it now seems alot of money for something that dosnt have satnav

tomtom/pda's only warn of cameras don't give speed etc?

dosnt look like there is an all in wonder box of tricks yet!

some sort of tomtom origin b2 offspring would be interesting :D

if you get the TomTomGo - you can overlay a GPS database of known speed cameras for free  ;)

The TTG also gives your speed - but it is not speed sensitive (ie, it will always warn of a camera - even if you are crawling past @ 20mph)

my brain is in meltdown

you say it gives your speed , does that mean it acts as a speedo?

does it tell you when a 30mph limit is coming up etc? or canstantly remind you your doing over 70?

my brain is in meltdown

you say it gives your speed , does that mean it acts as a speedo?

does it tell you when a 30mph limit is coming up etc? or canstantly remind you your doing over 70?

it...errrr - shows you how fast you are going. bit like a speedo.

ttgo_e_1.jpg

see in the bottom right - where it says 31mph in green - thats the speed.

As I said - it is not speed sensitive. I doesn't tell you when a 30 limit os coming up.

Nor does it remind you if you are going over 70.

but the TomTOm Go does shut the map off when you go above 100 mph :tomato:

I wouldn't get very far :o

That seems a bit crap actually when you consider other countries have limits higher than that, unrestricted even - is this just a feature for UK models of the TTG?

Well Tomtom navigator doesn't switch off over 100mph - somebody told me :driving:

I've mounted my tomtom nav cradle into the centre heater console and it looks much better than sucked onto the windscreen. I also have a wired gps which is mounted on top of the ashtray and with the sunroof visor open gives me full line of sight (used it today and was getting 8 satellites).

As mentioned above you can also get the static speed camera's as POI's from the checkpoint website.

It's as good as roadangel, laser aler didn't work on my roadangel!

Be aware that the laser detectors will be banned sometime in the future.

PM me if you want pics or any more info.

Don't forget though guys that when you buy a genuine device you can have more confidence in the database, the guys at Origin validate every single location in the UK before it is added to the database and validate they're gone when they're gone - it's not cheap but you can have confidence in it :)

Don't forget though guys that when you buy a genuine device you can have more confidence in the database, the guys at Origin validate every single location in the UK before it is added to the database and validate they're gone when they're gone - it's not cheap but you can have confidence in it :)

I agree ,up until today i thought i had wasted my money buying the road angel and then buying the medion with overlay that i thought did the same job but sadly it dos'ent as you just can not rely on the other .go for the road angel 2 or th B2 i would not be without one now .

but the TomTOm Go does shut the map off when you go above 100 mph :tomato:

I wouldn't get very far :o

That seems a bit crap actually when you consider other countries have limits higher than that, unrestricted even - is this just a feature for UK models of the TTG?

You can set the limit to any speed, it comes as 100mph default. When reached it turns the map function off and just talks the route.

I have the tom tom go and think its fantastic all the speed camera locations are spot on and warn you that you are approaching them, there is also a free download available to tell you what speed zone your traveling in i.e "Gatso 30 Limit"oh I forgot it's also Sat Nav ! :winky:

Bought the Origin B2 a couple of weeks ago, after looking around at all the various options..... have to rate it first class.

Never misses a camera and has saved me a couple of flashes (oher missus). Didn't want sat nav as I have it in the car.

One of the neater features is the fact it sits in it's own cradle so only one wire from that which leads to the loom for the various feeds. I managed to get this fitted inside the area for the ashtray in my Merc so it's all oit of sight and covered when leaving the car. No wires in sight and used the live feed from the ciggie ighter. Some of the others had far too much spaggetti for me and were larger units which I couldn't hide away neatly.... Also the people at orgin are very helpful and the database seems spot on and I travel the UK a lot. Downloading is easy from the pc link although it uses a com connector not USB which meant I had to use the kids pc for this as my latest one doesn't have this socket now.

Hope this helps