Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Torque Converters

ajones1722

Being new to auto boxes can someone enlighten me as to why a torque converter would need to be changed on a GS300 with about 90k on clock? The reason I ask is that just having acquired a 300 i find it struggles to accelerate from a standing start. The engine seems to rev happily but I don't feel that the power is being transferred to the drive as it should. (I got burned-off by a pug 206 this morning :blush: ) If the Torque Converter was 'worn' (sorry if that the wrong term) would it be like a worn clutch on a manual box?

In my search for 300's last week one I looked at was a 2001 model and the garage proudly anounced that it had just had its Torque coverter replaced under the Lexus warranty. The car has 83000 on the clock?

If not the Torque converter would there be any other reason for the car being reluctant to accelerate?

Try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.  Take care if you have a security code in your rdaio.

cheers. How will I know if the radio is coded? As I recall its something you can do from the touch screen menu but how would I know if the previous owner(s) set one up?

I had the Battery Changed on my car, then the Key wouldnt work and i was stuck in halfords car park with the imobiliser light flashing at me.

but after a quick call to Lexus I got the car to accept the key again and I was off again :)

Am I right in thinking that its not necessary to disconnect the batttery on a GS300 to reset the ECU's ? I'm sure there a 'tutorial' in the knowlege base that says just remove the 2 large fuses for 30 seconds and then replace em?

I had the Battery Changed on my car, then the Key wouldnt work and i was stuck in halfords car park with the imobiliser light flashing at me.

but after a quick call to Lexus I got the car to accept the key again and I was off again :)

Am I right in thinking that its not necessary to disconnect the batttery on a GS300 to reset the ECU's ? I'm sure there a 'tutorial' in the knowlege base that says just remove the 2 large fuses for 30 seconds and then replace em?

To reset the engine parameters then yes you can remove the fuses. However to clear learned driver style memory from the auto box the procedure is to disconnect the Battery for 5 minutes.

I would try changing the transmission fluid first before thinking of changing the TC.

Make sure you only use Toyota T-IV fluid.

Would 'knackered' transmission oil cause the gear box to sound noisy too? I ask this because I mentioned in a previous thread that, having just got the car, its alot noiser eccelerating than I thought it would be. When I rev the engine in 'P' it sounds quite smooth so I 'm wondering whether the noise is coming from the gearbox?

Is the fluid level ok? It is very very rare for a transmission problem on a GS. If you pull the dipstick what colour is the fluid and does it smell burnt? It should be a bright red colour.

Noise could be from the diff. Also worth checking the oil level in that.

Is the fluid level ok? It is very very rare for a transmission problem on a GS. If you pull the dipstick what colour is the fluid and does it smell burnt? It should be a bright red colour.

Noise could be from the diff. Also worth checking the oil level in that.

I'll check it tonight thanks.

If it needs flushing/replacing any idea how much and did you say only use Toyota oil?

Yes only use Toyota T-IV fluid.

It may be difficult to find somewhere that flushed fluid in the UK and you would need to make sure they only use T-IV fluid during the flush.

May be better just to drain the pan, refill and drive for a day then do the same again once or twice if you notice it getting better.

• 1 year later...

hello,

somtimes my car hesitates aswell (100k on clock, mk1) i changed the trans oil from toyota dealers. i thought this may remedy the problem, no luck somtimes the car shoots and somtimes the car revs up and before it changes gear it sort of over revs but no power is felt it then changes gear :blink:

oh yeah i installed a K&N panel filter and now i have got a hole in the flex pipe(got a gurgling sound) could this be a cause to the tranmission probs and have any of you got/know where i can get a flex pipe(tried scrap yards but had no luck)

i am told the flex pipe is stainless steel but i was wondering if the exhuast flow could crack the flex pipe

thanks for help

Yes you have to leave the key in the inigition in the 'on' posistion for 6 mins, then it will start, found this out the hard way the other day.

Being new to auto boxes can someone enlighten me as to why a torque converter would need to be changed on a GS300 with about 90k on clock? The reason I ask is that just having acquired a 300 i find it struggles to accelerate from a standing start. The engine seems to rev happily but I don't feel that the power is being transferred to the drive as it should. (I got burned-off by a pug 206 this morning :blush: ) If the Torque Converter was 'worn' (sorry if that the wrong term) would it be like a worn clutch on a manual box?

In my search for 300's last week one I looked at was a 2001 model and the garage proudly anounced that it had just had its Torque coverter replaced under the Lexus warranty. The car has 83000 on the clock?

If not the Torque converter would there be any other reason for the car being reluctant to accelerate?

Wear and tear on the trans and torque converter will depend on driving conditions, if the car has done 100 k on motorways, there will be little wear,. How ever if t's done 50 k in stop start traffic it like doing 200k +. The problem with changeing trans oil is that you can only ever change half of it, and the only way to change the oil in the converter is to remove it unless it has a drain plug. Automatic transmissions work by oil pressure applying clutch's and brake bands, as these wear the fluid becomes contaminated ( which is why Colin stated it should be red ). Contaminated fluid could even be almost black from burnt friction material.