Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow

corky

there seems to be quite a popular misconception about "Snow tyres" they are not snow tyres as such. Winter tyres are designed to be used in cold conditions ie below 7C ( the point at which normal tyres start to harden with the result of less grip) and give a decent grip on ice and snow -hence why the average tread depth is 12mm or above combined with 100's of sipes to provide the grip

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rob.

I haven't had much chance to test out my Pilot Alpin's on snow yet, but as you say, the grip when it's cold and frosty is much better than with standard, low profile rubber. The back end doesn't slide out so easily. Much better!

Cheers,

IanB :D :D

hi ian,

glad to see you are happy with the tyres - can i ask do you know if they are the 2nd generation tyres or the original version ?????- 2nd generation has a tread style change in the middle of the tyre

Hi Ian, yep thats the second generation - they are even better than the 1st generation - and the 1st generation are very very good, I have had no trouble going up mountain passes that have over 15cm of snow ( have had lots of weight in the back tho)

1st gen pic: mi_pilot_alpin.jpg

the alpins are classed as a "Winter Tires Suitable for Use in Severe Snow Conditions" :D

Hi Ian, yep thats the second generation - they are even better than the 1st generation - and the 1st generation are very very good, I have had no trouble going up mountain passes that have over 15cm of snow ( have had lots of weight in the back tho)

1st gen pic: mi_pilot_alpin.jpg

the alpins are classed as a "Winter Tires Suitable for Use in Severe Snow Conditions" :D

Very re-assuring Rob. All I'm lacking here is buckets of snow. Twas a balmy 9 degrees C today. (I'm glad really!)

Cheers,

IanB :D