Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow

corky

The snow's pretty bad in the North East and I can't even get mine off the drive . Well I can , if I reverse out of the garage like a bat out of hell so it just about slithers off the (slightly uphill) drive before the snow on my drive has any impact . Infact thats the easy part . Getting the thing to move forwards once its on the road is another matter so these days I've learnt not to even try .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The snow's pretty bad in the North East and I can't even get mine off the drive . Well I can , if I reverse out of the garage like a bat out of hell so it just about slithers off the (slightly uphill) drive before the snow on my drive has any impact . Infact thats the easy part . Getting the thing to move forwards once its on the road is another matter  so these days I've learnt not to even try .

Must be fun at times though!! :lol:

The snow's pretty bad in the North East and I can't even get mine off the drive . Well I can , if I reverse out of the garage like a bat out of hell so it just about slithers off the (slightly uphill) drive before the snow on my drive has any impact . Infact thats the easy part . Getting the thing to move forwards once its on the road is another matter  so these days I've learnt not to even try .

My parents live in Durham and they got rid of IS and swapped for a Jag X type because the IS couldn't leave the house in bad weather!!

never thought a expensive  and prestige car would be so bad in the snow. might have to keep her in the garage next couple of days.

ummmm no mate - its your tires not the car u have SUMMER tyres on.

yesterday we had about 8cms and overnight to this morning we had an extra 6cms- i have been driving about no probs at all, but then i do have winter tyres on and am planning on going to the mountains in the next days and dont expect ANY problems.

Hi!

Yes the IS IS bad on snow!! :tsktsk: :crybaby:

I have Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, but 3 years old, the tread is weared off.

And it's pretty sh!tty to handle it.

The IS is far too light to get traction at the rear, the engine is heavy, so the weight is more in the front, the IS's a*s does what he wants.

At stop lights and crosses it takes minutes to get at speed....

Other cars blow their horn because I can't launch. :angry:

So my question:

Does it help to put some weight and how much weight in it?? :question::unsure:

If you can get a better car FOR WINTER...... take it.

For summer I'm still happy to have choosen the IS. :blush:

Believe it's the same economy, all snow mode does is dull the throttle, ie if you put your foot down suddenly instead of the revs shooting up as they normally would the car increases power slowly which decreases your chances of losing it, it's all down to the electronic throttle I believe?

Put some weigth in the trunk. It's a RWD ;) You know that.

No problems with IS in fresh snow. Handles as bad on ice as any other car.

Drive carfully and do some training on a parking lot. This will help you to feel the car. In Germany we talk about "Popometer". Translate as "butt-meter" for safety driving.

If the tires are spinning the game is over.

RR - how much tread do u have on your tires??

Hmm.... think ~4mm. :unsure:

Not much..... :whistling:

thought that might be the cause for your poor traction - mine have 11mm and no problems.

winter tyres are not good with less than 4 or 5mm.

Yes and at all I have 215/45 17'' tires 3 years old.

At all this winter we didn't get snow for a very long time, so the turbo-power rubbed it off on the asphalt. :whistling::crybaby:

Just drove my IS in snow for the first time this morning................. absolutely useless I have to say.............. knew it wouldn't be great but didn't think it would be SOOOOOOO bad !!!

Lot to be said for 4WD or FWD in this weather

It's not only the drive, it's because the IS is very light in its rear, so you loose lot of traction.

And in my opinion, those who say, the IS is good on snow..... I think they only don't want to hear any disadvantage of the IS.

I also love the IS, but for winter I would choose another car.

Also when my winter tires have been new 3 years ago.... it was terrible to drive on snow. :tsktsk:

Have to say after driving through the snow this morning that the IS is...............................

No worse than any other RWD car I have driven - why are people having so much trouble. I see a few comments about "i was driving at 50 and lost it" and "my tyres are worn out", well what do you expect people.

Then again, I do have a boot full of absolute ******* ie, 2 push chairs, car cleaning stuff, bag of potato's that I picked up from the local farm yesterday, toys, etc which could have helped but the most helpful thing is good tyres and a light right foot.

Wahaaaaaaay :D

My first IS outing in snow this morning, I live in the middle of the country and it did struggle up the odd hill here and there but with Snow mode on and traction off..... weeeeeeee! great fun, it's been snowing all day too so I'm looking forward to the journey home!

In all seriousness, I love driving in the snow but the IS is most certainly the worst handling car I have driven in the bad weather (even with brand new tyres fitted last week)

Paul

Didn't even entertain the idea of driving this morning. SLummed it on the bus instead.

I'd rather take the bus than end up stacking my car into something. Just like 3 cars did to each other just outside work's front door at half 8 this morning

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links