Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clonking Sound When Going To Second Gear?

Well... I just picked up my brand new IS200 SportCross this afternoon!

When going from first to second gear there is a clonking sound when putting it in second gear. It's just when putting it in second gear the clonking sounds comes, not when going from third to fourth and so on.

Is this normal? The car is brand new, with about 20 miles on the odometer!

from what ive experienced and read it is normal for this sound, however as posted on other threads if you just put your foot on the clutch a tiny bit earlier and change gear a tiny bit slower from 1st to 2nd the change becomed silent.

you will get used to changing gears once in use, i know it tokk me a few days to sort it out.

my wife only drives it once a month and everytime she sets off it makes the same clunk until she remembers then it goes away again.

im hoping my new trd quickshift will remove the problem if it ever arrives that is :whistling:

Nope, it's still there, but to be honest the B&M is that tight anyway you don't notice it as much, plus it's much quicker to change gear so slow your clutch movement down a bit and it's sorted :)

wonder if this is something that Lexus have addressed in the new model?

Yeah they aren't using a manual gearbox :lol:

Only in the 2.2D, but you won't hear it over the tractor noise.

:lol::lol::lol: So true. But my friends, the new BMW 535 Diesel (sorry but you know me and BMW's), is a 3.5 litre Bi-turbo diesel, cruises at 70mph at under 2000rpm, and... u can't even hear the engine.

:lol::lol::lol: So true. But my friends, the new BMW 535 Diesel (sorry but you know me and BMW's), is a 3.5 litre Bi-turbo diesel, cruises at 70mph at under 2000rpm, and... u can't even hear the engine.

Yes that may be true- but....it's a BMW :lol:

Yes that may be true- but....it's a BMW :lol:

And about 60% of Mercs sold are diesels. Prestige car manufacturers are making big business with diesels, and if Lexus really do an IS diesel justice, they can stand to make a lot of money and earn a lot of respect. Sadly though its not always the case (Jaguar diesels). IMO, it could be a make or break choice for Lexus.