Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

91 Ls400, No Spark After Shut Off For While

I have a 1991 LS400 that has no spark after it sits for a few hours. Thgis is an occassional problem. the first time it happened it had sat for a week, when I came back from vacation it would not start. I discopnnected the Battery for a day which reset the computer and it started and ran fine for about a month. then the same problem. this has happened with increasing frequency since. Thinking that it might be the computer, I replaced the computer with a used one I got really cheap and it ran fine for about 1 week. then it would not start when I came out from work and this time disconnecting the Battery didnot make it start. I switched back to the original computer and still no start. I checked the coils and the distributer connections and all appear to be fine.

I was told that it might be the Cam shaft positioning sensor, but I am not sure how to check them? (can I bypass them?)

The engine turns over fine and there are no warning lights on the dash, just no spark.

Right now the car is sitting in the parking lot at work and I wold like to get it started so I can at least get it home.

Feel free to send me an E mail if you have any constructive thoughts.

Unclebob9@aol.com

Follow-up;

It seems to have been the crankshaft positioning sensor.

The leaking fluid from the power steering pump made its way down ond fouled it. After cleaning it up a bit, the car is now running. We will see if it keeps running for awhile.

Follow-up; 

It seems to have been the crankshaft positioning sensor. 

The leaking fluid from the power steering pump made its way down ond fouled it.  After cleaning it up a bit, the car is now running.  We will see if it keeps running for awhile.

So glad you got it sorted :D