Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Audi to Lexus

Alix

Hi

I'm new to this forum and currently drive an Audi A3 1.8T Sport.

Anyway we now need a bigger car with 4 doors and have the IS200 SE on our shortlist.

Has anyone on here went from an Audi to a Lexus and what are their thoughts on this.

My only concern is the drop in performance from the A3.

Any thought / comments would be greatly appreciated:)

If you are worried about a drop in performance, have you tried or considered the IS200 Sport or an IS300?

You'll find the standard spec higher than the A3 which may make up for any difference in performance.

Let us know what you decide to go for. :)

have you tried or considered the IS200 Sport

The sport is lowered slightly and has limited slim diff so should handle slightly better - not sure if thats going to make up for the IS being 1.3 seconds slower to 60 etc :o

Originally posted by Claire G

If you are worried about a drop in performance, have you tried or considered the IS200 Sport or an IS300?

You'll find the standard spec higher than the A3 which may make up for any difference in performance.

Let us know what you decide to go for. :)

A Sport is no quicker, except maybe on the absolute limit, than an SE. A 300 is about £6k more, so is an unlikely alternative I would've thought.

I'd suggest going for a test drive and see what you think - it will seem significantly slower than the A3 but it's a different kind of car.

Good hunting.

IS will be definitly funnier to drive, rear traction car, than the A4, power engine should be in favor of the Audi T 180cv, Lex is about 155cv.

Now in terms of handling, the IS200 should be better.

Now in terms of cost, compare what you will have in the Lex with your Audi…for example take the GPS plus option from Audi !!! :lol: (just kidding)

I test drove the A3 1.8T straight after the test drive of the Lexus - guess which I bought!! :smilegrin:

Now to be fair - the Audi is a nice car, but I'll be honest, the chassis was less communicative and fun than a Peugeot 306 !!! The acceleration is MUCH quicker than the Lexus, more mid-range punch, not just 0-60 sprint stuff.... BUT the handling isn't as secure. The car I drove was a demonstrator with not too many miles on, but the feeling I got from the Audi after driving the Lexus was... (no offence - just a view) - it felt a bit cheap and the suspension was hard yet when you hit the twistys, you got body roll and skittish twitching. I tend to be an enthusiastic driver, and the Audi didn't appreciate that.

The Lexus is not as fast, but it feels more secure when pressing on - I believe that because of this - give me either car and my favourite stretch of twistys and I would hustle the Lexus round quicker than the Audi. I don't think the short wheelbase of the A3 helps it.

Take a test drive and see what you think....

If you really do miss the performance (I confess - I have another car which IS quick, so the IS's lack of performance was not such a concern) then the options as I see it would be the Audi A4 1.8T, Alfa 156 V6 (although horredous depreciation costs and not reliable) or an Accord Type R.... all being well equiped 4 door cars with lots of space and pace, but without the theft magnet draw of the Evo and Scooby.

Just read the new Topgear survey. I think the lack of 20bhp will be more than offset by everything else on offer! I love driving it fast, the straight 6 engine and the 6 speed gearbox makes it so much fun to rev, so it should have no problems keeping up with an Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda 1.8T (150-180bhp models, not the 225bhp ones!), if not faster on a tricky road!

I changed from an A3 1.8T to an IS200 SE. I have to admit that I much preferred the Audi, but then I'm no drivers driver. I miss the turbo and the inside was much nicer IMO. Admittedly, the IS is an Auto, so I'm not comparing eggs to eggs.

Also, I'm 6'1 and whatever I do, cannot find a comfortable driving position where I can see some of the bonnet (other than the top of the bulge), without banging my head on the roof lining.

I'll probably keep it until sprog No.2 arrives next February and get something else. Anyone got a Zafira for sale???:lol:

Sorry for the late to reply to this message, but I've only just discovered this website - very interesting!

I had Audi's as company cars in the UK for 5 years before I moved out to Japan - 2 A4s and an A6. Now I'm working out in Japan, and am using an Altezza AS200, which is a Lexus IS200 in the UK.

In comparison to the 1.8T engine, the Toyota inline 6 is very smooth but, esp. when mated to the auto as mine is, it's not exactly quick... More of a cruiser than a out-an-out performance saloon. Hopefully the manual transmission is quicker.

As people have said, equipment levels are probably much higher on the Lexus. Style is a matter of personal taste; some find the Toyota/Lexus a bit 'flash', and certainly the quality of the interiors trim is not up to Audi A4/6 levels - can't comment on the '3 though as I have never owned one. I also can't comment on the Lexus dealer experience for you, but it's bound to be better than here!

I got used to my car being collected from the office, serviced, cleaned and returned to me by Audi dealers in the UK - here the car is not even cleaned, and as for collect/deliver or a loan car...

Hope you enjoy whatever you choose!