Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

can anyone tell me if a small problem with the ls400 powersteeing pump reseviour leaking.... Is it a big job and is this a common fault with this model?.. Its a 1993 its not leaking much but enough to keep topping up once a fortnight. thanks in advance for any helpfull replies.

mal

The leak is a small problem but can develope into a large one. The leaking fluid WILL eventually cause your alternator to go out and May eventually foul your Crankshaft postioning sensor which will tell your computer not to produce spark to your plugs.

A Power steering seal kit is available from: www.discounttoyotaparts.com for about $23 US. (they ship world wide)

I am about to order one myself and replace the seals on both my 90 and 91 LS400.

If it is just the tank seal "O" ring that is leaking the tank can fairly easily be removed from the pump while in the car and the "O" ring replaced. But get a replacement "O" ring from a hydraulic shop, not your local hardware store and make sure you empty the tank of as much power steering fluid as possible before removing it and do everything in you power to prevent fluid from running down onto your alternator.

Best of luck: Bob

• 2 weeks later...
The leak is a small problem but can develope into a large one.  The leaking fluid WILL eventually cause your alternator to go out and May eventually foul your Crankshaft postioning sensor which will tell your computer not to produce spark to your plugs.

A Power steering seal kit is available from: www.discounttoyotaparts.com for about $23 US. (they ship world wide)

I am about to order one myself and replace the seals on both my 90 and 91 LS400.

If it is just the tank seal "O" ring that is leaking the tank can fairly easily be removed from the pump while in the car and the "O" ring replaced.  But get a replacement "O" ring from a hydraulic shop, not your local hardware store and make sure you empty the tank of as much power steering fluid as possible before removing it and do everything in you power to prevent fluid from running down onto your alternator.

Best of luck: Bob