Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flat Battery (cry)

Maz

Damn good start this morning, left the car in garage for 3 months, guess what completely dead Battery, so i have to put it on charge now, can anyone tell me how long can i leave the car without driving it before the Battery go completely flat? week, forenight, month? and how many miles does i need to drive to have it top up? :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

I had that problem a few years ago 'cos she left it with the lights switched on all night.

At the time I was told by a friendly RAC bod that a Battery has 2 stages of charge. The low level charge is performed when the Battery is new and the alternator takes over and does the rest.

If you allow the Battery to become completely flat then this removes both stages of charge. If you rely on the alternator or bog standard Battery charger then you only top up the second stage charge.

This means that the Battery runs flat very quickly when not on charge, even with a good run.

I ignored his advice to get a new Battery and sure enough, even after a good 200 mile run to her mothers the Battery went flat within 48hrs.

Hopefully yours is not that seriously damaged.

If your going to leave you car for that length of time again, and you have power to the garage ,get a trickle charger ,should be able to find one on Ebay :)

Dont have power in my garage atm, as its behind my shop, but i will have a proper garage when i finally get my new house and have one build... :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling: , do i just leave the tickle charger on the car all the times then? or once every week?

I had that problem a few years ago 'cos she left it with the lights switched on all night.

At the time I was told by a friendly RAC bod that a battery has 2 stages of charge. The low level charge is performed when the battery is new and the alternator takes over and does the rest.

If you allow the battery to become completely flat then this removes both stages of charge. If you rely on the alternator or bog standard battery charger then you only top up the second stage charge.

This means that the battery runs flat very quickly when not on charge, even with a good run.

I ignored his advice to get a new battery and sure enough, even after a good 200 mile run to her mothers the battery went flat within 48hrs.

Hopefully yours is not that seriously damaged.

Dont tell me i have to buy a new Battery? as i only had this one last November..... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

If your going to leave you car for that length of time again, and you have power to the garage ,get a trickle charger

Good advice. I used to leave my bike on a charger called an "Optimate 2". It constantly checks the battery's charge and automatically tops it up as necessary. I used to come back on holiday from Saudi after 6 months and even a year away and it used to start almost straight away.You have to be careful no-one switches it off though as once it's flat it can't always revive it. Great piece of kit though.

You have to be careful no-one switches it off though as once it's flat it can't always revive it.

What do u mean by once its flat it cant always revive it?, it that mean any Battery that go compeletly flat will not able to charge up properly? and need to be replace? sorry im a bit confuse on this?

If the battery is stone dead, it may not take a charge ;) , so sorry to say ,it could be  time for a new one  ;) .

See this thread........

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...boshch++battery

yep, ur Battery dies, fails to charge. But when u leave your car for a period of time, sometimes tiny electrical things stay on, and drain ur Battery. Cant remember what the solution was, but you have to disconnect something as well, apart form the Battery.

Do you not have someone who can give it a run round every so often? I'd be happy to obligue :whistling:

What do u mean by once its flat it cant always revive it?,

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it well. If a Battery gets really flat it cannot always be charged up again. You can try to charge dead car batteries but they may not keep the charge as well once they've been allowed to go flat. If you buy a new Battery make sure you get someone to run the car for you for half hour or so, at least once a month if you're away or get a trickle charger, otherwise it'll happen again.

but then again with your ICE about 3 hours
If someone runs it for tell them to keep your ICE off if you've got a mega install or it'll never charge up.

your new Battery should have come with some guarentee Tony, When I got a new one from Halfords the guy told me it comes with a 4 year one

maybe you can try your luck for a new replacement

just dont tell them the cars been stood for months......

Worth a Shot :)

well charged for 10 hours now, and the meter on the charger hasnt moved 1 bit to tell me its charging, but the alarm and interior light is back on, a bit dim thus, got a Bosch Silver Top batetery ordered and it only £45 + VAT, go and pick it up tomorrow, another money costing lesson for me...... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Tony, dont you have the Exide deep cycle batteries? If so like Brettster says take them back and surely they must have some guarentee

I only had the Exide for the ICE install, for the car its a standard Battery, cant remember what make thus...think is begin with V not sure will find out when i change the Battery tomorrow or Thursday... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ok got myself a new Bosch Silver top Battery, can anyone who had 1 tell me if they Battery have the connecting post at the front and not like the lexus Battery at the back, im worry with all my ice install wiring i will not able to connect to the Battery now the posts is at the front, and i couldnt turn the Battery around cos of the pos/neg will be the otherway around....will try it tomorrow anyhow, as im busy today with all my works.... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

The Bosch Battery does have the posts at the front ( not at the back like the Lexus one ), when i fitted mine the black lead had enough slack, and the Red lead needed the cable clip releasing at the back of the bulkhead, i thought this might be a problem, but once the cable is fitted on the Battery, it doesn't rub on anything. If your still not happy had a few cable ties as needed :)